Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Using Windows 7 pc as router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Using Windows 7 pc as router

Old 19-01-2012, 15:24   #1
garmcqui
Inactive

garmcqui is an unknown quantity at this point
Using Windows 7 pc as router

I don't have a spare PC, but I have a relatively powerful desktop PC (Intel Q6600, 4Gb ram) sitting here idle most of the time, always on. It's only really ever used for streaming media and internet browsing. It has 2 gigabit ethernet cards too (one PCI-e and one on board).

Is there a program I could use to act as a router whilst running windows 7? Perhaps something that could just run in the background? Or is using Windows internet connection sharing the only way (in my experience this is slow for the devices that share it).

If there is, I could use the PC with the modem plugged into one gigabit card, and a wireless access point plugged into the other.

Would this setup offer me more control over bandwidth limiting etc than the standalone router i have now (DD-WRT DIR-615)?

Cheers,

Gareth
garmcqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-01-2012, 15:26   #2
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Using Windows 7 pc as router

ICS (Internet connection sharing) I think is still available on win7 (has been around since win9x) but is very simplified and will not let you limit bandwidth.. For that you need something like Wingate or Winroute
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 19:29   #3
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Using Windows 7 pc as router

Standalone routers with OpenWRT (which does run on the DIR-615, though not particularly well last time I had anything to do with it) offer much better control than DD-WRT which in turn offers much better control than vanilla Windows.

That said there's plenty of programs you can run on Windows to give you exceedingly fine-grained control over bandwidth and what not, but I'd suggest a dedicated Linux router OS distribution instead of Windows if that's what you wanted.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote