Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New box on Saturday

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

New box on Saturday

Old 15-07-2020, 13:36   #1
johnasimmons
cf.mega poster

Services: 500mb, Full House (with Sky Sports & Movies, BT Sports and ViaPlay), 1 TiVo, 1 V6, iPhone 14 Pro Max
johnasimmons has reached the bronze age
johnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze age
New box on Saturday

My trusty old TiVo has bitten the dust (well, the hard drive has) and I am getting a V6 installed on Saturday? How much better than the basic TiVo is it and anything to look out for, pros and cons, on the V6?
johnasimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-07-2020, 13:43   #2
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads
Re: New box on Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnasimmons View Post
My trusty old TiVo has bitten the dust (well, the hard drive has) and I am getting a V6 installed on Saturday? How much better than the basic TiVo is it and anything to look out for, pros and cons, on the V6?
Cons it's Virgin media

pros - only guessing here mate but more storage, 4k, apps load much faster, box itself is far more smoother, wireless?
Old 15-07-2020, 13:48   #3
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

More storage depends on which TiVo box a customer had before, as there was a 1TB version (although only the 500GB version is now installed or sent out)

For the apps there are also now more on the V6 than on TiVo as all the recent ones are V6 only e.g. BBC Sounds.

Also even if you don't have a 4K TV, you'll still be able to watch the 4K channels if you have the right subscription, as the V6 can downscale them. The old TiVo couldn't decode them in the first place.

The V6 is HDMI only so you will need a compatible TV for it to connect to.
Old 15-07-2020, 13:52   #4
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Well the interface is the same, so you'll know how to work it straight away. The difference is just that it doesn't have that "moving through syrup" feel that the old box felt like even at the best of times.

And of course you'll have 6 tuners, which is more than enough for most people normally.

And if you have a tablet or smartphone you can stream recordings from the box whilst in the vicinity of your home network.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 15:08   #5
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Well the interface is the same, so you'll know how to work it straight away. The difference is just that it doesn't have that "moving through syrup" feel that the old box felt like even at the best of times.

And of course you'll have 6 tuners, which is more than enough for most people normally.

And if you have a tablet or smartphone you can stream recordings from the box whilst in the vicinity of your home network.
Personally, I was swayed by this feature when I joined VM but I never found any recording I am able to stream to my IPad, so I gave up trying.

But feel free to tell me what I can.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 15:25   #6
johnasimmons
cf.mega poster

Services: 500mb, Full House (with Sky Sports & Movies, BT Sports and ViaPlay), 1 TiVo, 1 V6, iPhone 14 Pro Max
johnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze age

What extra apps do you get?
Old 15-07-2020, 15:44   #7
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Personally, I was swayed by this feature when I joined VM but I never found any recording I am able to stream to my IPad, so I gave up trying.

All of them. Not sure what's wrong for you. Sorry.

---------- Post added at 14:44 ---------- Previous post was at 14:41 ----------

Quote:
It's a while since I had a Tivo, so this may be incorrect...but off top of my head...

All4, My5, Pluto TV, Prime Video, BBC Sounds, STV Player (in Scotland, but soon UK-wide supposedly), ITV Hub (not in Scotland).
Old 15-07-2020, 16:29   #8
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
All of them. Not sure what's wrong for you. Sorry.

---------- Post added at 14:44 ---------- Previous post was at 14:41 ----------

It's a while since I had a Tivo, so this may be incorrect...but off top of my head...

All4, My5, Pluto TV, Prime Video, BBC Sounds, STV Player (in Scotland, but soon UK-wide supposedly), ITV Hub (not in Scotland).
I tried a number of recordings from varying stations, but I was particularly interested in Recordings of live football/rugby matches from Sky/BT sports - non had the option to download.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 18:14   #9
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I tried a number of recordings from varying stations, but I was particularly interested in Recordings of live football/rugby matches from Sky/BT sports - non had the option to download.
Ah, I never download recordings with this service, only stream with the VM TV Control app within wireless range of my V6 box.

Only select shows are available to download because either each broadcaster's deal with VM is different or each broadcaster's deal with the rights holders, if it's not their show, are different, so it can vary on a show by show basis and out of VM's hands in the latter case.

E.g. maybe a football league's deal with BT/Sky doesn't allow them to sublicense downloadable recordings capability for that competition/event.

I'd imagine sport is particularly susceptible to this.

I only ever want use it in the house and garden so its fine for me.
Old 15-07-2020, 18:58   #10
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

STV Player is now UK wide.

Quote:
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 20:17   #11
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/vir...tv-control-app
Click on "Streaming or downloading recordings"
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 20:44   #12
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
The apps are the main improvement, in my view, because they all work as they should! On my old TiVo, the only one that worked properly was Netflix, although it took a while to load initially. Once in, it was fine.

The BBC i-Player was diabolical. Stuttering, blocking and chucking you out altogether - it was dreadful. With the V6, it works perfectly.

The second big advantage was the speed - so quick compared with the TiVo.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 08:14   #13
johnasimmons
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The apps are the main improvement, in my view, because they all work as they should! On my old TiVo, the only one that worked properly was Netflix, although it took a while to load initially. Once in, it was fine.

The BBC i-Player was diabolical. Stuttering, blocking and chucking you out altogether - it was dreadful. With the V6, it works perfectly.

The second big advantage was the speed - so quick compared with the TiVo.
That's great! I had the same problems as you on my TiVo

Update: VM have moved my appointment - coming this afternoon!
Old 16-07-2020, 09:15   #14
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
That's great! I had the same problems as you on my TiVo

Update: VM have moved my appointment - coming this afternoon!
Good foryou! Let us know what you think when you've had a play!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 09:57   #15
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

I have a V6 and TiVo so can compare. As mentioned the V6 is mostly better but there are a couple of drawbacks. You lose the scart output, which for me is handy as an extra output for another device. Also the TiVo has its own integrated BB connection, whereas the V6 is dependent on your separate BB connection. Usually this means it needs installing near your hub if you want a reliable wired connection. However I've mostly been ok with WiFi.

Having said that they do work well together streaming to each box, so you can use the advantages of each box if you have a V6/TiVo combination.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote