Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | WTF Is Going On?!!!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

WTF Is Going On?!!!

Old 02-07-2020, 12:49   #16
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Re: WTF Is Going On?!!!

It sounds like you're running your superhub in Hub mode, while dangling an Apple router off of that. You'd be better switching the superhub to Modem mode and having the Apple router handle everything.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-07-2020, 10:33   #17
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankysmagicpian View Post
There is something weird going on. Got up this morning - no internet connection on my phone, work laptop or my PC. Work lappy then connected quite happily to the VPN, only way I could get mine to connect was to change the DNS to Googles and my phone connected to the other router (Apple) rather than the Shub3....which incidentally, I have rebooted twice.

Apple router is fine as it's getting an IP from the Shub and internet is good to go. Connect directly to the Shub and it gets an IP but no internet.
If you have got two routers and haven't set them up to work together I imagine you have got some dodgy dealings going on with different subnets, addressing schemes and default gateways. Like Kush said, you would be better off putting the shub in modem mode and just using the Apple router.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 00:53   #18
spankysmagicpian
cf.geek

Services: Ultimate Oomph although there is nothing ultimate or oomph about it.
spankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these parts

Well it's been working fine for nearly 10 years (I think off the top of my head)
Apple Time Capsule is fed off the Shub and is setup in access point mode.

I need two due to the size and age of the house.

and although I hate the phrase..... I do work in IT and have plenty of experience configuring switches and firewalls.

Just set it to auto DNS again and all is good. It did go off again on...Thursday or Friday and since then, I didn't have any issues on my phone re: WiFi. Seems like it was a bad config sent down the line to me.
spankysmagicpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:44   #19
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
I do work in IT and have plenty of experience configuring switches and firewalls.
You should know better then dude. I have got a second router downstairs which is a wireless access point but my primary router is still a proper router with the shub doing as little as possible in modem mode. I recommend you do the same and you should understand why.
Old 06-07-2020, 01:47   #20
spankysmagicpian
cf.geek

Services: Ultimate Oomph although there is nothing ultimate or oomph about it.
spankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these parts

I did consider that but I wasn't going to buy any more kit just so the shub was in modem mode. I've got the shub DHCP up to .100 and the Apple from .151 to 200. Anything in between for the network printes, servers and reservations. As I said, it's been fine with no issues for years.

Last edited by spankysmagicpian; 06-07-2020 at 02:16.
spankysmagicpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 17:12   #21
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Why would you need to buy more kit? Why not just have the Apple router handle everything?
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 20:11   #22
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Why would you need to buy more kit? Why not just have the Apple router handle everything?
Quote:
Apple Time Capsule is fed off the Shub and is setup in access point mode.

I need two due to the size and age of the house
I know it costs money but if you need a wireless access point or a better wifi signal there are better options. Pretty much any option is better than the shub. Have you tried putting the shub in modem mode and just using the wifi on the Apple router to see if you have the same problem? Many people have been in your position who only had a shub and bought a second router to work alongside and compliment the shub but when they changed the configuration to what we suggested they found that investing in a proper router solved all their problems. The new proper router cured their wifi woes, provided the increased range and performance and they were able to put the shub in modem mode. Another thing you should be thinking about is dns servers.