Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media & UKTV+ITV Channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media & UKTV+ITV Channels

Old 13-08-2018, 13:03   #916
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Virgin Media & UKTV+ITV Channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Any disputes with Sky wouldn't affect the full suite of channels, all FTA/FTV channels would be unaffected.

---------- Post added at 12:55 ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 ----------

Yes there is, various posts on social media to VM and on personal accounts say that people no longer trust VM to continue to carry channels.

As a result of the way that the spats between UKTV & ITV were made public, some people are blaming VM for the loss of Vintage TV.
Social media is a unreliable barometer of public opinion and always has been...

---------- Post added at 13:03 ---------- Previous post was at 13:02 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Fair point, but the number of people venting their spleens on social media represent a very tiny fraction of VM's subscribers.

The silent majority were not that bothered, frankly.
99.9% l would say OB.
Old 13-08-2018, 13:25   #917
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Fair point, but the number of people venting their spleens on social media represent a very tiny fraction of VM's subscribers.

It's not so much the current subscribers that are the problem, it's the potential new customers that have now been put off from using VM TV. Of course, this will be impossible to measure, but it wouldn't surprise me to see new sign ups slowing down. If people don't take TV, they are less likely to go for triple play and get BB & telephony too.

There have been cases where those who had just signed up used their cooling off rights to cancel when the UKTV channels were withdrawn and the question about continued carriage of ITV arose. These people have now lost trust in the brand and it's unlikely that they will ever return. It's also a well known fact in business that, if a customer has a good experience, they tell one or two. If they have a bad experience they tell many, many more.

Add to this that we tend to trust family & friends more than anyone else and it's a marketing disaster.

https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/artic...celebs/1447024

On average we tend to trust friends & family five more times than even a celebrity endorsement. This is how companies like Utility Warehouse operate, they spend nothing on advertising.

---------- Post added at 13:25 ---------- Previous post was at 13:18 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Social media is a unreliable barometer of public opinion and always has been...

---------- Post added at 13:03 ---------- Previous post was at 13:02 ----------

99.9% l would say OB.
If people have something bad to say about a company, they are much more likely to express their feelings (both on and off social media) than they would if they had something good to say, in much the same way as they would verbally.

Seeing a post from a friend (for the reasons given above) has much more of an impact on individuals. Social media is now extremely important (especially to young people), more so than newspapers, TV etc.

It's why people who complain on Twitter get almost immediate results and why it's alleged that Russia has used social media to influence democratic elections in other countries.

Even a 1% drop would be bad news for companies who are increasingly operating with lower and lower profit margins.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 13-08-2018 at 13:31.
RichardCoulter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 13:40   #918
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Well, when I mentioned this to family and friends that have VM TV packages, most of them hadn't noticed it, and the ones that did weren't particularly bothered - so it didn't seem to damage VM in their eyes, currently or for a long time in the future.
Same here. I think for the most part those it affected most are people that post on forums such as these which will be the minority of people.

Last edited by Mythica; 13-08-2018 at 13:52.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 14:09   #919
dodgem22
cf.addict

Services: virgin tv phone and broadband giff gaff mobile
dodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about them

Taking my family and friends as an example I would say it was a 70/30 spit. 70% not bothered and 30% were. I myself was bothered, my mum was bothered as were some others. My sister who has VM wasnt as she didnt really watch them and she binges on Netflix. We all like different things and I think it is a good thing that the channels are back.

However most of my family and friends have Sky so of course they were not bothered.

It may have been a minority kicking up a fuss including myself but social media is powerful and mud sticks and I do think VM has taken some damage to their reputation over this a lot of people remember when the Sky channels were lost and that has been dragged back up again. I am not taking sides I think UKTV And VM were equally to blame and it was handled badly by both sides.
dodgem22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 15:17   #920
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Anyone know when the UKTV channels will reappear here? https://virgintvgo.virginmedia.com/en/tv/tv-guide.html
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 15:23   #921
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin-D View Post
Anyone know when the UKTV channels will reappear here? https://virgintvgo.virginmedia.com/en/tv/tv-guide.html
l would hazard a guess that it won't be long before they will be on there.
Old 13-08-2018, 15:40   #922
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

I think you need to check you facts.
ITV can be removed from Sky and in fact were not on Sky for a long time.
Sky can not refuse to carry them if fees are paid and ITV can withdrawn them.
Quote:
Their is absolutely no possibility that ITV could be removed from satellite by Sky.

---------- Post added at 15:40 ---------- Previous post was at 15:35 ----------

So you would just pay up and be quiet?
Quote:
As a closed platform this wouldnt be possible on VM, which is why I think that it was a bad move for VM to allow the increased possibility of channel cessation to be drawn to the attention of the public.
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 16:34   #923
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Very good question. I thought they'd already shown up there!

They stated everything would show up Monday if not over the weekend and on demand apparently will show up between now and wednesday (along with GOLD HD) but not heard anything about tv to go just assumed it was already live.

have you asked them on social media? They're usually quite quick to reply on there
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 16:53   #924
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewEastaugh View Post
Looks like Dave SD and Gold SD will be disappearing, leaving only the HD versions. Which will be odd for those on Player, who seem to be getting Dave Ja Vu but not the non timeshift channel as a result..

https://twitter.com/virginmedia/stat...266934784?s=19
Both Dave SD and Dave HD are staying now. So that means Player TV customers still have both Dave and Dave Ja Vu:
http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/tv/tvupdate.html

But it's still possible Gold SD will go in favour of Gold HD as they're both in Mix and above.
Old 13-08-2018, 17:05   #925
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light

If this updated page is correct, some of UKTV's other channels will be dropping down to the Mix pack:

Eden
Eden +1
Good Food
Good Food +1

W HD, Alibi HD, Eden HD and Good Food HD remain Full House only.
SonicMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 18:08   #926
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMaster View Post
If this updated page is correct, some of UKTV's other channels will be dropping down to the Mix pack:

Eden
Eden +1
Good Food
Good Food +1

W HD, Alibi HD, Eden HD and Good Food HD remain Full House only.
Those four were in the lower M+ pack before they forced a move of all M+ TV customers up to Mix recently. So I've had them all for a long time.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 18:10   #927
007stuart
cf.addict

Services: TIVO V6 Meg Service TV XL Virgin Phone Home & Mobile My wife says I have too many SONOS units
007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Quite right, that's the problem with social media. The phrase "empty vessels makes the most noise" comes to mind.
007stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 18:35   #928
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Just had an Email from VM telling me the channels are back

"We’re delighted to tell you that all the UKTV channels are now coming back to Virgin TV. We’re sorry you’ve not been able to watch your favourite shows for the past couple of weeks, but the great news is, your TV package is now bigger and better than before.

We're not only bringing back all the UKTV channels you love, like Dave HD and Gold, coming soon in HD, but we are also increasing our on-demand programming by more than five times. That’s hundreds more hours of Box Sets for our Full House customers.

More than before

All the channels we added in place of the UKTV channels, including FreeSports and the Paramount Network, will be staying on. So, you’ve got loads more included in your package.
Thanks for bearing with us during this frustrating time.

Now, back to the drama, comedy, history, crime, food, true-life stories and all the other shows you love.

Kind regards,

David Bouchier,

Chief Digital Entertainment Officer,

Virgin Media"
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 20:07   #929
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Just had an Email from VM telling me the channels are back

"We’re delighted to tell you that all the UKTV channels are now coming back to Virgin TV. We’re sorry you’ve not been able to watch your favourite shows for the past couple of weeks, but the great news is, your TV package is now bigger and better than before.

We're not only bringing back all the UKTV channels you love, like Dave HD and Gold, coming soon in HD, but we are also increasing our on-demand programming by more than five times. That’s hundreds more hours of Box Sets for our Full House customers.

More than before

All the channels we added in place of the UKTV channels, including FreeSports and the Paramount Network, will be staying on. So, you’ve got loads more included in your package.
Thanks for bearing with us during this frustrating time.

Now, back to the drama, comedy, history, crime, food, true-life stories and all the other shows you love.

Kind regards,

David Bouchier,

Chief Digital Entertainment Officer,

Virgin Media"
Is this a follow up to the David Boucher (Chief Clown) 'Sorry, we've lost the channels because of our own greed and incompetence' email ? Personally I got neither.

What we will all get very shortly is a letter along the lines of 'we've simplified your bill with an increase. But we have given you UKTV as a bonus ! '

Even Dick Turpin wore a mask......
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 20:12   #930
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Is this a follow up to the David Boucher (Chief Clown) 'Sorry, we've lost the channels because of our own greed and incompetence' email ? Personally I got neither.

What we will all get very shortly is a letter along the lines of 'we've simplified your bill with an increase. But we have given you UKTV as a bonus ! '

Even Dick Turpin wore a mask......
Mr K you are rather cynical sometimes...