Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media & UKTV+ITV Channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media & UKTV+ITV Channels

Old 12-08-2018, 19:50   #901
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Media & UKTV+ITV Channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
1) l think that retentions can see your viewing choice or are they very good at guess what channels you use.
2) l also think they can see your monthly bill(s) in my case .in my case £100's a month .Number of accounts paid from one source.

When I called I simply asked what the situation was with regard to cancelling.Given that I had just signed a new contract .With a great discount. Without saying anything else £10 per month extra discount for 18 months was offered . Are you saying l should offer to increase my payment ?
Given that your blessed UKTV channels are back and with five times the amount of on demand that you had before, I am astonished that you are still talking about compensation!!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2018, 20:08   #902
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Given that your blessed UKTV channels are back and with five times the amount of on demand that you had before, I am astonished that you are still talking about compensation!!
Its called wanting their pound of flesh OB.
Old 12-08-2018, 20:11   #903
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Did he mention 'compensation'? It's not a word I or VM used when I rang up. It was money to source UKTV channels from elsewhere as VM had failed to provide. I didn't even ask for that, it was offered straight away after I expressed my polite disappointment at the loss of channels I regularly watch, after just signing a contract. It was the easiest retentions call I've ever made and offered straight away; they are lovely people

I really think they assumed UKTV weren't coming back. Seems VM have had a major change of heart, presumably due to customer pressure/cancellations.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 20:32   #904
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Did he mention 'compensation'? It's not a word I or VM used when I rang up. It was money to source UKTV channels from elsewhere as VM had failed to provide. I didn't even ask for that, it was offered straight away after I expressed my polite disappointment at the loss of channels I regularly watch, after just signing a contract. It was the easiest retentions call I've ever made and offered straight away; they are lovely people

I really think they assumed UKTV weren't coming back. Seems VM have had a major change of heart, presumably due to customer pressure/cancellations.
No, I just think they got the deal they wanted. Remember, in negotiations, you always demand more than you want. Virgin got their enhanced on demand content, a commitment from the BBC to negotiate a deal on their archive material, and who knows what the price will be.

As for the compensation bit, I agree that if you phone up to complain, then if you are offered compensation, that is fine. I have a problem with those who are after compensation despite not affecting their viewing habits, through sheer greed.
Old 13-08-2018, 10:59   #905
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Do we know what happened in the end? Who caved first do we think? VM having a lot of angry customers or UKTV losing a lot of money?

Either way VM get the extra on demand stuff which seems VM might have paid a little bit more and claim they got a good deal with that whilst UKTV may not have got the money they wanted but probably a little bit more than they originally were offered. Looks like both can claim to save face that way
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 11:37   #906
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
Do we know what happened in the end? Who caved first do we think? VM having a lot of angry customers or UKTV losing a lot of money?

Either way VM get the extra on demand stuff which seems VM might have paid a little bit more and claim they got a good deal with that whilst UKTV may not have got the money they wanted but probably a little bit more than they originally were offered. Looks like both can claim to save face that way
My Guess is there was a bit of give and take on both sides,with each side walking away feeling that they're the winners.

Last edited by telegramsam; 13-08-2018 at 11:38. Reason: Spelling mistake.
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 12:01   #907
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

@overnightstv

Saturday's return to Virgin of the UKTV portfolio saw all-day cable figures rise by 8%, and peaktime by 13%, compared with the previous Saturday
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 12:27   #908
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
My Guess is there was a bit of give and take on both sides,with each side walking away feeling that they're the winners.
That's what usually happens, with each side then claiming to be the winner. This is exactly what happened after the Discovery deal with Sky.

It's good that the channels are back, but I still believe that this has damaged VM and will continue to do so for a long time. The UKTV channel and ITV disputes have drawn to the attention of the public and reinforced the fact that VM is the most vulnerable popular patform to be affected by channels being pulled. Their appalling PR didn't help either.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 12:30   #909
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Well, when I mentioned this to family and friends that have VM TV packages, most of them hadn't noticed it, and the ones that did weren't particularly bothered - so it didn't seem to damage VM in their eyes, currently or for a long time in the future.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 12:34   #910
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Just like the Sky platform v Discovery Channel dispute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
The UKTV channel and ITV disputes have drawn to the attention of the public and reinforced the fact that VM is the most vulnerable popular patform to be affected by channels being pulled. Their appalling PR didn't help either.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 12:34   #911
MatthewEastaugh
cf.member

MatthewEastaugh is just really niceMatthewEastaugh is just really niceMatthewEastaugh is just really niceMatthewEastaugh is just really niceMatthewEastaugh is just really niceMatthewEastaugh is just really nice

By contrast, while I only know of three people with Virgin Media outside of myself, two of them avidly watched Dave and one watched Gold and Alibi - so all of them definitely noticed, and were definitely annoyed by it.
MatthewEastaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 12:35   #912
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

People complain about these channels being removed yet it can take weeks before people find their favourite channel has gone.
I doubt if it hit VM as much as it hit UKTV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Well, when I mentioned this to family and friends that have VM TV packages, most of them hadn't noticed it, and the ones that did weren't particularly bothered - so it didn't seem to damage VM in their eyes, currently or for a long time in the future.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 12:45   #913
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Nothing like exaggerated media hyperbole which was in overdrive these past three weeks.

---------- Post added at 12:45 ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 ----------

Quote:
That's what usually happens, with each side then claiming to be the winner. This is exactly what happened after the Discovery deal with Sky.

It's good that the channels are back, but I still believe that this has damaged VM and will continue to do so for a long time. The UKTV channel and ITV disputes have drawn to the attention of the public and reinforced the fact that VM is the most vulnerable popular patform to be affected by channels being pulled. Their appalling PR didn't help either.
Absolutely no proof of that from what l see currently Richard.
Old 13-08-2018, 12:55   #914
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
Just like the Sky platform v Discovery Channel dispute.
Any disputes with Sky wouldn't affect the full suite of channels, all FTA/FTV channels would be unaffected.

There was also nothing to stop Discovery from retaliating by keeping their pay channels on Sky by making them FTA or FTV or making them a standalone subscription service (possibly making CA based upon subscription to their online service). As a closed platform this wouldnt be possible on VM, which is why I think that it was a bad move for VM to allow the increased possibility of channel cessation to be drawn to the attention of the public.

Their is absolutely no possibility that ITV could be removed from satellite by Sky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Absolutely no proof of that from what l see currently Richard.
Yes there is, various posts on social media to VM and on personal accounts say that people no longer trust VM to continue to carry channels.

As a result of the way that the spats between UKTV & ITV were made public, some people are blaming VM for the loss of Vintage TV.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 13-08-2018 at 13:06.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 12:59   #915
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Yes there is, various posts on social media to VM and on personal accounts say that people no longer trust VM to continue to carry channels.

As a result of the way that the spats between UKTV & ITV were made public, some people are blaming VM for the loss of Vintage TV.
Fair point, but the number of people venting their spleens on social media represent a very tiny fraction of VM's subscribers.

The silent majority were not that bothered, frankly.