Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Broadband speeds & Copyright 3 Strikes

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

New User - Appaling Speeds

Old 21-05-2008, 12:59   #1
PieOPah
Inactive

Services: VM XL Broadband (20Mb) VM XL Telephone VM XL V+ Sky Freeview
PieOPah is an unknown quantity at this point
New User - Appaling Speeds

Hi,

On Saturday, I had Broadband and Phone installed. Originally, I asked if the modem could be placed next to my computer (so I could connect via Ethernet) however the engineer said that since all the cabling was already in place at the from of the house he would need to install the modem there. Fairy Nuff....

Anyway, after setting up my wireless router and setting up my PC, I tested the speeds. In general these ranged from about 500 kb/s to 3000 kb/s (give or take). A call to the support and they quickly arranged for an engineer to come round.

He fitted something to the back of the modem (has 12dB on it but not too sure what it is) and was told that this would fix the problem. That evening, I was receiving similar speeds - maybe a bit faster.

I monitored my speeds for a few hours and the results were erratic. Sometimes I got 2000 kb/s other times it was around 12000 kb/s. These tests would also show extremely different results within minutes of each other.

A call to the support desk and I go through a variety of things. Eventually, having reported that I was able to download a file while connected directly to the modem with speeds of around 1.5 Mb/s, I was told that the problem was with my wireless router.

So, I test my router and this gives me similar speeds as when connected directly to the modem.

Virgin Support didn't seem to be bothered that my speeds are fluctuating quite rapidly. A single acknowledgement of an acceptable speed and they dismiss my issue. The opposite way round they seem to dismiss the fact that my router has been able to achieve relatively decent speeds.

Is there a problem (I am in the Reading Area RG2)? Could it be a problem with my router? What would be the easiest way to get the modem moved to the back of the house so that I am wired with my PC?

If VM are telling me my speed problems are because I am wireless and VM refused to do the installation so I could be wired, can I get them to do the re-installation?
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-05-2008, 13:07   #2
cimt

cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
Re: New User - Appaling Speeds

Question.

What router are you using?

Also, you can get long ethernet cables for cheap. See what speeds you get when you're directly connected to your modem.
cimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 13:10   #3
southwell
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Virgin Phone + 50mb
southwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation era

I had the same kind of problem, try a different channel on your wireless.
southwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 13:15   #4
PieOPah
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimt View Post
Question.

What router are you using?
D-Link DIR-635

Quote:
Also, you can get long ethernet cables for cheap.
Don't really want wires trailing round the house - something I am considering though (if the wife doesn't mind my drilling into the ceiling....)

Quote:
See what speeds you get when you're directly connected to your modem.
As mentioned, I am getting similar speeds regardless of being wired or wireless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwell View Post
I had the same kind of problem, try a different channel on your wireless.
I have already changed channel. I was originally on 11. There is an option on my router to auto detect the best channel. This has changed it to 1 so I am now using that.
Old 21-05-2008, 13:19   #5
southwell
Inactive

southwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation era

FYI 11 messed mine up, im on 6.

If you want cabled then you could try homeplugs?
Old 21-05-2008, 13:21   #6
PieOPah
Inactive

Quote:
If you want cabled then you could try homeplugs?
I have read about those but had such mixed reports that I didn't want to get them.

Oh and if it makes any difference on my PC I have "Linksys WUSB300N Wireless-N USB Adapter"
Old 21-05-2008, 13:24   #7
whydoIneedatech

Services: VIRGIN MEDIA , 20 Mb BB, V+ Box, XL Phone and 2 Virgin Mobiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
Hi,

On Saturday, I had Broadband and Phone installed. Originally, I asked if the modem could be placed next to my computer (so I could connect via Ethernet) however the engineer said that since all the cabling was already in place at the from of the house he would need to install the modem there. Fairy Nuff....
The engineer should install where you ask, not where he wants for a quick install.

Ring up and complain about the installation not be put where you want on 150 option 4.
Old 21-05-2008, 13:34   #8
southwell
Inactive

If you get 1.5mb directly through the modem then i would expect it to be your router? I would reset it to factory settings, test it and see if it works properly then, then input your settings again.
Old 21-05-2008, 13:36   #9
PieOPah
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by whydoIneedatech View Post
The engineer should install where you ask, not where he wants for a quick install.

Ring up and complain about the installation not be put where you want on 150 option 4.
Thanks, I'll do that

Quote:
If you get 1.5mb directly through the modem then i would expect it to be your router? I would reset it to factory settings, test it and see if it works properly then, then input your settings again.
Yeah, but what I am saying is that through the modem and the router I am getting roughly the same speeds and these speeds fluctuate on both. This would suggest to me that the problem is with the modem itself.

If I took the router out of the equation then I would still have the same problem.
Old 21-05-2008, 13:52   #10
southwell
Inactive

Quote:
Eventually, having reported that I was able to download a file while connected directly to the modem with speeds of around 1.5 Mb/s
Did you say this, or support?

If you get the same on both then i'd say modem/account settings or UBR?
Old 21-05-2008, 14:05   #11
PieOPah
Inactive

Quote:
Did you say this, or support?

If you get the same on both then i'd say modem/account settings or UBR?
I have confirmed that I have been able to download a file at approx 1.5 Mb/s (this was a file from Microsoft website). I did this whilst on the phone to support and they stated that since I was getting that speed whilst connected directly to the modem then the fault was with my router.

The fact that I have also received the same speed when connected to my router is ignored.

I have been running an hourly scheduled speed test today on my wireless connection. I guess the next step is to run the same scheduled test when connected to the modem. I can then E-mail the results to them as hard proof of what is going on with my connection!!!
Old 21-05-2008, 14:54   #12
southwell
Inactive

open cmd and ping www.virginmedia.com /t, is your ms below 20 constantly? Test on wired and wireless.
Old 21-05-2008, 15:02   #13
PieOPah
Inactive

I'll give that a try when I get home
Old 21-05-2008, 16:36   #14
Magilla
Inactive

Magilla is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
If VM are telling me my speed problems are because I am wireless and VM refused to do the installation so I could be wired, can I get them to do the re-installation?
You would probably be better getting rid. BB speed and reliability is generally abysmal on VM (IMHO).
Magilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 16:53   #15
southwell
Inactive

Quote:
I'll give that a try when I get home
Remember to do /t at the end, this will keep pinging until you stop it, ctrl + c.