Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Movie news, trivia and other snippets

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Film & Cinema

Movie news, trivia and other snippets

Old 03-04-2020, 23:07   #91
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Movie news, trivia and other snippets

Quote:
For now, Disney is keeping release dates for Pixar’s “Soul” (June 19)
This may turn out to be a little optimistic.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2020, 01:02   #92
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

that's some serious planning so I hope they know something we don't with regards to when this is all going to be over.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 20:01   #93
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Dangerous Lives, April 30th on Netfix.

pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 09:40   #94
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Fantastic news, a Hunger Games prequel has began development but we probably we won't see until 2023.

https://theplaylist.net/lionsgate-hu...akes-20200421/
Old 23-04-2020, 10:25   #95
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
Fantastic news, a Hunger Games prequel has began development but we probably we won't see until 2023.

https://theplaylist.net/lionsgate-hu...akes-20200421/
Fantastic news indeed. I'll wait.
Old 29-04-2020, 11:25   #96
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

AMC Theatres Refuses to Play Universal Films in Wake of 'Trolls World Tour

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...source=twitter
Old 29-04-2020, 11:33   #97
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

No Universal releases in any Odeon in the U.K.? That’s going to be needlessly self-harming.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 12:04   #98
General Maximus
Ran Away

It is going to be interesting to see how things pan out with this because tbh it is a logical progression so far as distribution goes just as the BBC and license fee. It is a win-win for the studios because they are going to potentially attract a greater audience who wouldn't normally pay to go to the cinema however no matter which way you look at it, it is going to negatively impact cinema chains.

Everyone loves going to the cinema but it is a very costly venture. My friends moan all the time that a family ticket costs £37 and on top of that you have got sweets, drinks and parking so a trip to the cinema is £60 a time. Compare that with staying in and paying £10, £15 or £20 to watch it on demand and you are saving a fortune. You are obviously making a compromise in so far as the experience goes but some parents will make it because in the long term it will allow their children to watch more new films for the same price. I have got a limitless card so I technically get to go to the cinema for free but even for me every time I go it is £2 extra for a premiere seat, £5 parking and £10-£12 for lunch from Costa or a nachos combo etc so each visit is still the best part of £20. I am happy to pay for the experience because going to the cinema is a hobby for me but you can definitely see how staying at home will appeal to some people and definitely put a dent in cinema revenue.

Like I said, it makes sense going forward just as magazines and newspapers are available online now and you don't have to go to the shop to buy a paper copy. The question is what it means for cinema chains. I can't see a way around it and if other studios follow suit you may see a climatic shift in the way cinemas operate. I think blockbusters are safe for now but you are only talking about a handful of films every year. Who needs to go and see stuff like Downton Abbey at the cinema. Maybe they are the sort of titles which can be migrated to on demand and will prove to be more profitable for the studios.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
No Universal releases in any Odeon in the U.K.? That’s going to be needlessly self-harming.
What about Jurassic Park? I have got a large screen tv and Bose surround sound system which is amazing but it still won't come close to watching something like Jurassic Park at the cinema.
Old 29-04-2020, 12:14   #99
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I think whoever has taken this decision at AMC is suffering cabin fever and is not thinking clearly. Putting an animation out straight to VOD is one thing, but I can't believe Universal would seriously consider putting their major blockbusters out that way. I can't believe any serious director, or any talented head of department, would want that. No matter how good your home rig is, it is not going to match the equipment in the cinemas that the film was made for.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 12:40   #100
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
No matter how good your home rig is, it is not going to match the equipment in the cinemas that the film was made for.
Exactly, and Disney, Lucasfilm, Marvel etc know that they are going to make more money releasing films as cinema-only than they will if they do dual release or on demand only.

Quote:
I can't believe any serious director, or any talented head of department, would want that.
you can call it artistic snobbery or not moving with the times but putting the bean counters aside, people who make these films do it because they want people to enjoy them and I have said quite a few times recently with series (like The Mandalorian) and films that sometimes we don't realise how much effort and thought go into them. It isn't just a straight forward process of writing a story, making a script, make the sets and film it. It would be a disservice to the creators to simply dismiss the final product and think of it purely as a commercial venture and how they can make the most $$$. My hope is that if certain studios like Universal go down that route without consultation, you'll start getting very prominent directors grouping together and refusing to make films for those studios and only working with studios that will guarantee a cinema release so they know that fans can enjoy the ultimate experience as they had envisaged. As soon as you get people like Steven Spielberg and Martin Scorsese chipping in things will change.

Perhaps the way to go forward might be a limited theatrical run of 4 weeks and then immediate on demand availability. I think that should be happening now anyway. I cringe at the thought of going back to 20 years ago when most films would be released 3-4 weeks after the US at cinemas over here and then it would be another 9 months for video/dvd release.
Old 29-04-2020, 23:33   #101
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Well I guess Cineworld and Showcase will be rubbing their hands at the thought of all those extra customers wanting to see Universal films.

They sound like a spoilt child, spitting their dummy out.

---------- Post added at 23:33 ---------- Previous post was at 23:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
What about Jurassic Park? I have got a large screen tv and Bose surround sound system which is amazing but it still won't come close to watching something like Jurassic Park at the cinema.
Just watch it at a different cinema.

Old 30-04-2020, 00:12   #102
cimt

cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal

Cineworld have joined them.

https://www.ign.com/articles/amc-the...heaters-reopen

It's going to be interesting to see how this pans out.
cimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 00:37   #103
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimt View Post
Cineworld have joined them.

https://www.ign.com/articles/amc-the...heaters-reopen

It's going to be interesting to see how this pans out.
I hope their bluff gets called.

(My local of choice is Showcase, so still ok )

Old 30-04-2020, 17:58   #104
General Maximus
Ran Away

Doesn't surprise me and good for them. Cinema chains need to make a stand early on and let studios know that if it is ok for cinemas to lose money then movie studios can lose money as well. It would have been a win-win for the studios to dual release on multiple platforms but if they know they are going to lose hundreds of millions $$$ if they cant show it at the cinema it will make them think twice.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:00   #105
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

China chains need to take note, the world is changing and they need to adapt.

Releasing a movie on demand the same day as a cinema release, will not harm them that much. Not everyone will want to order a film for rental at £15 a pop. Many will still want to see on the big screen.

At the end of the day boycotting a studio will only harm themselves and their profits.