Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Windows 98SE, Ethernet Card and Lan adapter.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Windows 98SE, Ethernet Card and Lan adapter.

Old 03-10-2007, 20:53   #1
reid.stuart
Inactive

reid.stuart is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Windows 98SE, Ethernet Card and Lan adapter.

Sorry if this is repeating a previous problem, I have looked back over some threads but could not find this one.
My brother's PC has w98SE and I bought a Sweex ethernet card to fit his PC. The hardware wizard recognises a PCI ethernet controller but when I put the manufacturer's disk in it cannot find a driver.
The Device Manager tells me it cannot detect an active LAN adapter but I am none the wiser.

Stuart
reid.stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2007, 21:59   #2
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai
Re: Windows 98SE, Ethernet Card and Lan adapter.

Probably just a case of no win98 drivers included on the CD if it's modern kit. Do you have a model number or anything that could help a driver search?
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 22:10   #3
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star

try http://www.driverguide.com
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 22:13   #4
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Is there a way you can pick a default card, generic network adapter or something like that ?
It would probably work.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 23:19   #5
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

The 10/100 Sweex is a realtek 8139
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...130/RTL8139B(L)

I seem to recall that the Realteks were a bit iffy with some old motherboards.
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 19:23   #6
reid.stuart
Inactive

reid.stuart is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Windows 98SE, Ethernet Card and Lan adapter.

Thanks everybody for your replies.
Thanks Matth, the realtek download helped a lot.
Unfortunately, when I tried to connect to the Internet using the ISP disk (VirginMedia Broadband) it could not finish as it could not find a DHCP whatever that is.
I thought that would have been ascribed by the SP but I wonder if it is on the OS disk?

What do you think?

Stuart
reid.stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 20:02   #7
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star

The DHCP Server is the server that issues the modem with an IP Address.
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 01:07   #8
greencreeper
Inactive

Services: Email me for a current price list
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star

The CD is not needed. Bad things are those CDs - do funny things with TCP/IP. I prefer to know what settings are being fiddled with.

Switch the modem off for a bit (at least 10 seconds), then back on again.

Right-click "Network Neighbourhood" on the desktop, and choose "Properties". Have a rummage in the tabs (I can't recall now without booting my old PC) and check that it's set to acquire an IP address automatically. Ditto DNS.
greencreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:30   #9
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Configure TCP/IP.

1. Click the Start button, select Settings, and then select Control Panel.
2. Double-click the Network icon.
3. If the Your Network is Not Complete. Do You Want to Continue? window opens, click the Yes button.
4. Select the Configuration tab.
5. Select TCP/IP.
6. Click the Properties button.
7. Select the IP Address tab.
8. Select the Obtain an IP Address Automatically option.
9. Select the WINS Configuration tab.
10. Select the Use DHCP for WINS Resolution option.
11. Select the Gateway tab.
12. Remove all gateway addresses listed in the Installed Gateways text box.
A. Select an address.
B. Click the Remove button.
13. Select the DNS Configuration tab.
14. Select the Disable DNS option.
15. Click OK.
16. Save your settings.
17. Click OK.
18. Windows may copy files and prompt you for your Windows CD.
19. Restart your computer.

Dai is offline   Reply With Quote