Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Updated: Boris resigns as party leader

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Updated: Boris resigns as party leader
Closed Thread

Old 30-07-2022, 04:45   #3856
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Updated: Boris resigns as party leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
So 10% of the population isn’t more representative of the British public than 0.3% of the population, especially if "many of them are conservative anyway"?
Neither are representative of the British public, you know that.

At the moment you could consider me a conservative ( not always been the case) but would I join the Conservative party……….No……..or any party for that matter.

I have worked everyday (not “every day” for the pedants but you know what I mean) of my life since I was 17, and never joined a union (although I was pressured to when I was young). I don’t doubt their importance over history, but in my lifetime I’ve considered them a bit of a racket. They may have a resurgence.

Any attempt to align politically motivated groups as representative of the population is tosh. The vast majority of the population are in the centre, only think about it every 5 years and will vote for whoever is not the biggest knobhead.
Old 30-07-2022, 18:47   #3857
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
The vast majority of the population are in the centre, only think about it every 5 years and will vote for whoever is not the biggest knobhead.
British voting for dummies, page 1, chapter 1. Which far too few anoraks, activists and pundits ever seem to bother reading.
Old 30-07-2022, 19:13   #3858
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Minister.html

It’s going to be Liz who gets the vote of Conservative members. A good choice, judging on how she is conducting her campaign. She’s the one who will put us on the new path to achieving the manifesto.

The general public don’t see this yet, but in the end, she will carry the Conservatives through to the next election. Fasten your seat belts!

[EXTRACT]

Tory leadership contender Liz Truss plans to evoke the spirit of Margaret Thatcher and solidify Whitehall's control of the economy if handed the keys to 10 Downing Street, it was revealed last night.

Ms Truss, who has shot into pole position as the frontrunner for the Prime Minister's hotseat, is considering the formation of a 'supergroup' of allies to lead the Treasury into the next generation.

Key allies including Business Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng, Brexit Opportunities minister Jacob Rees-Mogg and veteran MP John Redwood are said to be in line for formal positions under any cabinet led by Britain's third female PM.

According to sources, Ms Truss will also work to tackle 'groupthink' prevalent within the Treasury and increase the number of economic advisers working in Downing Street.

She has already set lofty targets of 2.5 per cent economic growth per year, and laid out an ambitious plan to help would-be homeowners with Bank of England measures that could allow rent payments to be used in future mortgage assessments.

A campaign insider told the Telegraph: 'Liz rightly thinks we can’t have failed, business as usual economic policy and won’t be captured by Treasury groupthink.

'She will be bold on the economy and will lower taxes, keep tight control of spending, and push through supply-side reforms that will create higher growth and more sustainable growth.'

The Left will hate this and I can hear the cries of anguish already.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 30-07-2022 at 19:19.
Old 30-07-2022, 21:50   #3859
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

It’s going to be Liz who gets the vote of Conservative members. A good choice, judging on how she is conducting her campaign. She’s the one who will put us on the new path to achieving the manifesto.

The general public don’t see this yet, but in the end, she will carry the Conservatives through to the next election. Fasten your seat belts!

[EXTRACT]

Tory leadership contender Liz Truss plans to evoke the spirit of Margaret Thatcher and solidify Whitehall's control of the economy if handed the keys to 10 Downing Street, it was revealed last night.

Ms Truss, who has shot into pole position as the frontrunner for the Prime Minister's hotseat, is considering the formation of a 'supergroup' of allies to lead the Treasury into the next generation.

Key allies including Business Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng, Brexit Opportunities minister Jacob Rees-Mogg and veteran MP John Redwood are said to be in line for formal positions under any cabinet led by Britain's third female PM.

According to sources, Ms Truss will also work to tackle 'groupthink' prevalent within the Treasury and increase the number of economic advisers working in Downing Street.

She has already set lofty targets of 2.5 per cent economic growth per year, and laid out an ambitious plan to help would-be homeowners with Bank of England measures that could allow rent payments to be used in future mortgage assessments.

A campaign insider told the Telegraph: 'Liz rightly thinks we can’t have failed, business as usual economic policy and won’t be captured by Treasury groupthink.

'She will be bold on the economy and will lower taxes, keep tight control of spending, and push through supply-side reforms that will create higher growth and more sustainable growth.'

Can you explain how employing more Downing Street advisors sits with your cutting costs fetish?
Old 30-07-2022, 22:30   #3860
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
She has already set lofty targets of 2.5 per cent economic growth per year
https://www.ey.com/en_uk/news/2022/0...em-club-report 20 Jul 2022

Quote:
UK GDP forecast to grow 3.7% in 2022 and 1% in 2023, a downgrade from May’s 4.1% and 1.9% growth expectations

2024 forecast upgraded to 2.4% growth, from 2.2% predicted in spring, as economy makes up some lost ground
Since EY forecast an average growth of 2.36% over 2022-24, it’s not clear how 2.5% is a "lofty target"?

Here’s hoping the "supply-side reforms" don’t turn into another Kansa Experiment…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 30-07-2022 at 23:10.
Old 30-07-2022, 22:44   #3861
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

[EXTRACT]

it gonna be utter carnage OB man what cuts she gonna make for her tax cuts promises it be austerity on steroids
Old 30-07-2022, 23:30   #3862
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Get a feeling that when one of them gets in power, some sort of war is going to be on the table quite quickly.

Civil disobedience is in the air over many things including energy prices and it wouldn't surprise me if a war to distract people and turn attention away from government and unite them against a different enemy will be a new PM's first call of order
Old 30-07-2022, 23:51   #3863
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
Can you explain how employing more Downing Street advisors sits with your cutting costs fetish?
It will just be more borrowing to pass the problem onto future administrations.

If she can't run a tight ship on the adviser front, don't expect her to be able to run a tight ship anywhere else!
Old 31-07-2022, 10:32   #3864
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
https://www.ey.com/en_uk/news/2022/0...em-club-report 20 Jul 2022

Since EY forecast an average growth of 2.36% over 2022-24, it’s not clear how 2.5% is a "lofty target"?

Here’s hoping the "supply-side reforms" don’t turn into another Kansa Experiment…
Well, Hugh, I'm surprised that I am being questioned on that by you.

As you well know, the economic forecast is for 1% growth next year. 2.5% was a bigger figure than 1% when I went to school. However, Diane Abbot may want to argue with me about that (I do hope that you will agree with me, not her, on that).

Comparing this with May's target is ridiculous, by the way. We didn't have a war between Russia and Ukraine back then.

---------- Post added at 10:25 ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
it gonna be utter carnage OB man what cuts she gonna make for her tax cuts promises it be austerity on steroids
The kind of cuts that do not impact on services.

---------- Post added at 10:26 ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
Get a feeling that when one of them gets in power, some sort of war is going to be on the table quite quickly.

Civil disobedience is in the air over many things including energy prices and it wouldn't surprise me if a war to distract people and turn attention away from government and unite them against a different enemy will be a new PM's first call of order
The only war that is likely is one with the hard Left. Arthur Scargill tried that once, you know.

---------- Post added at 10:32 ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
It will just be more borrowing to pass the problem onto future administrations.

If she can't run a tight ship on the adviser front, don't expect her to be able to run a tight ship anywhere else!
You misunderstand. Unfortunately, many people on the Left of politics cannot grasp that you can pay down debt by growing the economy. The well being of future generations is in much better hands with the Conservatives in power that if Labour were calling the shots. You know very well that they are the ones with the reputation of being high-spending and selling off all the family fortune to solve short-term problems.
Old 31-07-2022, 10:36   #3865
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Comparing this with May's target is ridiculous, by the way. We didn't have a war between Russia and Ukraine back then.
Russia invaded Ukraine on the 24th February.

Also, the phrase used was ‘per year’, not ‘next year’…

However, Naidine Dorries may want to argue with me about that (I do hope that you will agree with me, not her, on that).

Last edited by Hugh; 31-07-2022 at 10:39.
Old 31-07-2022, 10:41   #3866
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Russia invaded Ukraine on the 24th February.

Also, the phrase used was ‘per year’, not ‘next year’…
The fuel issue was not present at that time. The 'war' in Ukraine started in 2014 if I remember correctly, with Russia's takeover of Crimea. But that was well before we were so heavily involved.

'Per year' includes 2023, doesn't it?
Old 31-07-2022, 10:42   #3867
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

But is not exclusive to it, so that is why I put an average over three years…

The current conflict started in February, and sanctions were imposed at the end of February/early March.
Old 31-07-2022, 10:51   #3868
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
But is not exclusive to it, so that is why I put an average over three years…

The current conflict started in February, and sanctions were imposed at the end of February/early March.
Hugh, please stop splitting hairs. You would be the first person to highlight it if she didn't reach 2.5% in 2023.

At least let's be consistent. You are also the first to point out any inconsistencies in the posts of your political opponents on CF..
Old 31-07-2022, 12:03   #3869
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

I think most of us watching from the outside can see neither candidate really gives two hoots about the economy or anyone who's not a paid up member of the party. They will say and do whatever they need to say or do to win the vote. I don't understand some people here, they were very quick to call out what they saw as unrealistic proposals from Labour at the last GE but seem blinded to the same outlandishly stupid promises from their own party. One day someone will do a PhD on the reasons for this strange behaviour.
Old 31-07-2022, 13:04   #3870
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
I think most of us watching from the outside can see neither candidate really gives two hoots about the economy or anyone who's not a paid up member of the party. They will say and do whatever they need to say or do to win the vote. I don't understand some people here, they were very quick to call out what they saw as unrealistic proposals from Labour at the last GE but seem blinded to the same outlandishly stupid promises from their own party. One day someone will do a PhD on the reasons for this strange behaviour.
Except that, contrary to what you have strongly implied in your post, Liz knows how she will pay it back.

Go down Rishi’s route and there will not be enough money to help people with their bills. Is that what you want?

Liz Truss intends to cut bills, by such measures as removing the green levy and reducing tax on petrol, which is non-inflationary because that brings prices down. It will be paid for in a number of ways, for example by using existing headroom in the economy, by growing the economy, and making the UK a more attractive offer for investors.