Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Updated: Boris resigns as party leader

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Updated: Boris resigns as party leader
Closed Thread

Old 27-05-2022, 01:36   #2491
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: Partygate & Beergate discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
We managed to change prime minister during ww2 certainly once,
perhaps twice ? and we of course were directly involved in that
Yes but take into consideration what happened.

As regards Chamberlain. He is best known for his foreign policy of appeasement, and in particular for his signing of the Munich Agreement on 30 September 1938, ceding the German-speaking Sudetenland region of Czechoslovakia to Nazi Germany led by Adolf Hitler. Following the German invasion of Poland on 1 September 1939, which marked the beginning of the Second World War, Chamberlain announced the declaration of war on Germany two days later and led the United Kingdom through the first eight months of the war until his resignation as prime minister on 10 May 1940. (the majority of which referred to as the "phoney war")

Winston Churchill was appointed First Lord of the Admiralty on 3 September 1939, the day that the United Kingdom declared war on Nazi Germany. He succeeded Neville Chamberlain as prime minister on 10 May 1940 and held the post until 26 July 1945.

VE day was 8 May 1945.

VJ day was 15 August 1945

So yes, you are correct in 3 Prime Ministers, one for 8 months, one for 5 Years and one for 2 months.

Now consider why 3 Prime Ministers.

First Chaimberain. An appeaser who accomplished nothing, did not stop the war and (it could be argued) gave Hitler the confidence to continue his expansion of his armed forces and go to war against Poland.

So why Chrchill, why him considering Chaimberlain and wanted Lord Palmestom as his successor.being the appeaser that he was Lord Palmestom refused as he knew Paliament would have objected so who was left?

That famous war mongeror Winston Churchill. Even King George wasn't happy in the beginning but that changed eventually.

Winston then lead the country with a coalition Governmentr until Vicctory in Europe was decclared. For some reason that was disbanded (I don't know by whom) and election was called even though our forces were still at war with the Japenese, our forgotten army and agree with them. I've met many over the years.

So, tell me who should Boris should be replaced by who would not be anRussian apologist or appeser? Both Germany (who should know bwtter) and France and indeed some in the US who think agereeing to Russian claims in the Donbas and other areas is the way for peace. It didn't work with Hitler and it won't work with Putin.

---------- Post added at 01:36 ---------- Previous post was at 00:56 ----------

So,as regards Ukraine where sholud we do now? IMHO suppliy them with whatever they need to actually drive Russia out of Ulraine.
Thet are crying out for long range artillery to go on the offensive and I have no doubt they can do it if the equipment was supplied.
I'll leave you with this brilliant analisys. (note she says the ISW has witheld info as well as other strategists).

Last edited by pip08456; 27-05-2022 at 01:03.
Advertisement
Old 27-05-2022, 09:06   #2492
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
So, tell me who should Boris should be replaced by who would not be anRussian apologist or appeser?
Pretty much anyone in the Tory Parliamentary Party? Johnson isn't Churchill. Unless Corbyn makes a surprise defection to the Tories, everyone is on the same page with Ukraine in Britain.
Old 27-05-2022, 09:27   #2493
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

You make good points... However, you're reasoning comes down to 'who is there that's better than him to replace him' If the Tory party don't have someone who is more competent than the liability that is Bors then that in itself, is a damning indictment as to the state of British politics.

To add balance, I don't believe that the Labour party are any better whatsoever at the moment.

Supplying Ukraine with 'whatever they need' is a dangerous move, I thought that we were only supplying weapons that were classed as defensive.

To shift towards supplying offensive weapons could lead to a further escalation which lead to a full NATO engagement.
Old 27-05-2022, 09:30   #2494
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Pretty much anyone in the Tory Parliamentary Party? Johnson isn't Churchill. Unless Corbyn makes a surprise defection to the Tories, everyone is on the same page with Ukraine in Britain.
Agreed. The UK's support for Ukraine is not dependent on Johnson. I'm not sure the situation in the US, France etc is relevant here.
Old 27-05-2022, 09:40   #2495
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I wasn't saying Boris is another Churchill. Far from it even though he made sure the UK was in the lead in Europe for support for Ukraine.

It is not long ago posts were made here about money from Russians to the Conservative Party and some MP's sort of saying it would give Russia influence over policy. Well Boris has shown that to be untrue.

Personally I don't think in normal times Boris should stay but as these are not normal times it is not a time for leadership change, nor would it be whoever was leader unless we had a Russian apologist in power. (there's plenty of those in the Labour party).
Old 27-05-2022, 09:57   #2496
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Personally I don't think in normal times Boris should stay but as these are not normal times it is not a time for leadership change, nor would it be whoever was leader unless we had a Russian apologist in power. (there's plenty of those in the Labour party).
I don't think it makes too much difference. The way our Government is set-up means it's not too dramatic for the Prime Minister to change and I can't see it having a big impact on Ukraine.

As I said Ben Wallace, the Defence Minister, has been the main guy when it comes to Ukraine to the point he has been working for years on arming them. Since there isn't much debate or contention in the U.K on our support for Ukraine I think it'll just tick on merrily in the background. Any additional funding required would be provided without a PM having to work to get it. You mention the Labour Party but even there Starmer has said he would kick anyone out of the PLP who tries to use this to blame NATO.

I think the cost of living crisis is a bigger argument as to why the Government can't have a leadership challenge. That's an issue that is more contentious and requires political direction.
Old 27-05-2022, 09:59   #2497
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
I wasn't saying Boris is another Churchill. Far from it even though he made sure the UK was in the lead in Europe for support for Ukraine.

It is not long ago posts were made here about money from Russians to the Conservative Party and some MP's sort of saying it would give Russia influence over policy. Well Boris has shown that to be untrue.

I'm not sure there ever is a normal time. The only genuine Russian apologists in the UK I've heard are not in mainstream parties eg George Galloway.
Old 27-05-2022, 13:41   #2498
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Yes but take into consideration what happened.

As regards Chamberlain. He is best known for his foreign policy of appeasement, and in particular for his signing of the Munich Agreement on 30 September 1938, ceding the German-speaking Sudetenland region of Czechoslovakia to Nazi Germany led by Adolf Hitler. Following the German invasion of Poland on 1 September 1939, which marked the beginning of the Second World War, Chamberlain announced the declaration of war on Germany two days later and led the United Kingdom through the first eight months of the war until his resignation as prime minister on 10 May 1940. (the majority of which referred to as the "phoney war")

Winston Churchill was appointed First Lord of the Admiralty on 3 September 1939, the day that the United Kingdom declared war on Nazi Germany. He succeeded Neville Chamberlain as prime minister on 10 May 1940 and held the post until 26 July 1945.

VE day was 8 May 1945.

VJ day was 15 August 1945

So yes, you are correct in 3 Prime Ministers, one for 8 months, one for 5 Years and one for 2 months.

Now consider why 3 Prime Ministers.

First Chaimberain. An appeaser who accomplished nothing, did not stop the war and (it could be argued) gave Hitler the confidence to continue his expansion of his armed forces and go to war against Poland.

So why Chrchill, why him considering Chaimberlain and wanted Lord Palmestom as his successor.being the appeaser that he was Lord Palmestom refused as he knew Paliament would have objected so who was left?

That famous war mongeror Winston Churchill. Even King George wasn't happy in the beginning but that changed eventually.

Winston then lead the country with a coalition Governmentr until Vicctory in Europe was decclared. For some reason that was disbanded (I don't know by whom) and election was called even though our forces were still at war with the Japenese, our forgotten army and agree with them. I've met many over the years.

So, tell me who should Boris should be replaced by who would not be anRussian apologist or appeser? Both Germany (who should know bwtter) and France and indeed some in the US who think agereeing to Russian claims in the Donbas and other areas is the way for peace. It didn't work with Hitler and it won't work with Putin.

---------- Post added at 01:36 ---------- Previous post was at 00:56 ----------

So,as regards Ukraine where sholud we do now? IMHO suppliy them with whatever they need to actually drive Russia out of Ulraine.
Thet are crying out for long range artillery to go on the offensive and I have no doubt they can do it if the equipment was supplied.
I'll leave you with this brilliant analisys. (note she says the ISW has witheld info as well as other strategists).

Thatcher resigned during Operation Granby (Gulf War 1), when we actually had troops and aircraft in the Gulf.

https://www.forces.net/news/gulf-war...flict-30-years

Quote:
The first Royal Air Force aircraft arrived in Saudi Arabia on 10 August to begin Operation GRANBY (the codename of the British operation)…

… The force grew over the following months, with RAF aircraft including Torondos, Jaguars and Hercules transport planes situated in Bahrain and Saudi Arabia.

Hundreds of UK soldiers were arriving in the Gulf each day.

By October 1990, 7th Armoured Brigade had left Germany for Saudi Arabia to establish their presence in the region.

A second British Army of the Rhine brigade joined them, with Challenger tanks specially adapted for the desert dust, and extensive training being carried out.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 27-05-2022, 14:08   #2499
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Thatcher resigned during Operation Granby (Gulf War 1), when we actually had troops and aircraft in the Gulf.

https://www.forces.net/news/gulf-war...flict-30-years
I think this wins the thread …
Old 27-05-2022, 16:26   #2500
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Man facing breaches of Ministerial Code changes rules about people who breach Ministerial Code....

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...droidApp_Other

Quote:
Boris Johnson changes ministerial code to avoid need to resign over breaches

New rules say ministers can apologise or temporarily lose pay for breaking code, which PM is accused of doing...

...Johnson has also rewritten the foreword to the code, removing all references to honesty, integrity, transparency and accountability.

In his first foreword, published in 2019, he wrote: “There must be no bullying and no harassment; no leaking; no breach of collective responsibility. No misuse of taxpayer money and no actual or perceived conflicts of interest. T

“The precious principles of public life enshrined in this document – integrity, objectivity, accountability, transparency, honesty and leadership in the public interest – must be honoured at all times; as must the political impartiality of our much admired civil service.”

The 2022 foreword simply lists the government’s priorities, with only a brief mention of standards and behaviour of ministers
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 27-05-2022, 16:40   #2501
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Man facing breaches of Ministerial Code changes rules about people who breach Ministerial Code....

Wonder if retrospectively changing the rules will be as successful as the last time they tried?
Old 27-05-2022, 16:41   #2502
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:

Disgraceful. I shall be writing to my Constituency Chairman to get a motion onto the AGM next month.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 27-05-2022, 16:46   #2503
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Disgraceful. I shall be writing to my Constituency Chairman to get a motion onto the AGM next month.
Remind Redwood to send in his letter asking Johnson to quit too.

At this time, it is more important than ever for the West to show to the World what democracy and good government is all about.
Old 27-05-2022, 16:52   #2504
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Remind Redwood to send in his letter asking Johnson to quit too.

At this time, it is more important than ever for the West to show to the World what democracy and good government is all about.
Is beer korma resigning yet
Old 27-05-2022, 17:02   #2505
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
Is beer korma resigning yet
Hes he been issued with a FPN notice yet?