Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Phone Booth

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > General Entertainment

how do you listen to sound on your pc?

Old 13-09-2003, 22:41   #1
homealone

how do you listen to sound on your pc?

Inspired by the "what music are you listening to" thread, I just wondered?

My pc is used for playing CD's, DVD's & watching telly, for example.

I have a 5.1 speaker & decoder set (old Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Theater (sic)) which sounds great in the small room, for all the above.

Otherwise I use headphones - the dolby headphone option in PowerDVD, does great 3D effects with DVD's.
Advertisement
Old 13-09-2003, 22:51   #2
kink

If i say with my ears...... will i get flamed?

Oooer!! flame me, flame me :p
Old 13-09-2003, 22:54   #3
kronas
Inactive

kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze
kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze
i listen to my music through my lowly 2.1's but i may upgrade to 5.1 my soundcard can go as high as 7.1
kronas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2003, 22:55   #4
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Quote:
Originally posted by kink

*heads off to London with a flame thrower...

I use an elderly Pioneer Dolby Digital amp and speakers.

Does a good job with DVDs.. Especially the Bond ones (the river chase at the beginning of The World is Not Enough shakes the room) and anything with a lot of action.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2003, 23:02   #5
homealone

Quote:
Originally posted by kink

\blows hot breath in kinks ear
Old 13-09-2003, 23:06   #6
imback
Inactive

imback will become famous soon enoughimback will become famous soon enoughimback will become famous soon enough
I use the built in "sounds card" on my Mobo (MSI) and a set of creative 5.1 speakers, couldn't telly you the model of them, it all sounds sweets as, and the speakers only cost a little over £50 can't complain about that
imback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2003, 23:15   #7
homealone

Quote:
Originally posted by kronas
i listen to my music through my lowly 2.1's but i may upgrade to 5.1 my soundcard can go as high as 7.1
Nothing wrong with a 2.1 set for music. The amp/decoder determines how good the simulation of 5.1 is for stereo - if you only listen to music, you might want to save your money?

If you start getting music encoded for dolby or divx, it would be a different matter.
Old 14-09-2003, 01:10   #8
MikeyB
cf.geek

Services: BT FTTP, Humax Foxsat HDR Freesat+
MikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud of
I just use the built sound chip on my mother board (NVIDIA nForce) with some Packard Bell flat pannel NXT speakers.

These ones: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/images/654452_01_huge.jpg
MikeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2003, 05:36   #9
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Had some NXT speakers, swapped them out for a set of Encore P703s set as the front speakers, plantronics headset as the rear speakers, so when I want to videoconference without feedback / echo issues I just run the fader to the rear speakers and put the headset on...

Gotta love the SB:Live for that
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2003, 20:36   #10
Atomic22
Inactive

Services: Very High Monthly Bills!
Atomic22 is just really niceAtomic22 is just really niceAtomic22 is just really niceAtomic22 is just really niceAtomic22 is just really niceAtomic22 is just really nice
Send a message via ICQ to Atomic22 Send a message via AIM to Atomic22 Send a message via MSN to Atomic22 Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic22
i mainly listen to mp3's ive downloaded from the net and even though i have 5.1 i think it simulates mp3's as 5.1 coz i don't think mp3's can be encoded at 5.1....or sommat similarly techy
Atomic22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2003, 20:41   #11
darkangel
Inactive

darkangel is a jewel in the roughdarkangel is a jewel in the roughdarkangel is a jewel in the roughdarkangel is a jewel in the roughdarkangel is a jewel in the rough
audigy 2 with altec lansing ada885 speakers 4.1 uses a ghosted center has a built in DD decoder and massive sub as big as the pc base unit
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2003, 20:43   #12
Dave Stones
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband Option 3, BT Landline, Freeview
Dave Stones has reached the bronze age
Dave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to Dave Stones
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeyB
I just use the built sound chip on my mother board (NVIDIA nForce) with some Packard Bell flat pannel NXT speakers.

These ones: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/images/654452_01_huge.jpg
are these decent? i am looking at getting some of these... i like the idea of having slim speakers...

beats the pieces of crap that have been supplied with my computer
Dave Stones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2003, 20:56   #13
homealone

Quote:
Originally posted by darkangel
audigy 2 with altec lansing ada885 speakers 4.1 uses a ghosted center has a built in DD decoder and massive sub as big as the pc base unit
sounds like (no pun intended) the sub my son has in his car - I'm surprised the windows don't pop out!

My sound card is only a Soundblaster 4.1, which I got because I was sick of the appalling "built in" sound on my mobo, but didn't have much cash to splash.
Old 15-09-2003, 23:49   #14
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star
I listen through a Logic base speaker and two sub speakers. VIA AC"97 Enhanced Audio.
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2003, 23:57   #15
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Harmon Kardon Soundsticks with a great big subwoofer under the desk ... transparent perspex with a blue light inside it. Looks like an alien jellyfish and terrifies guests when they stay in our spare room.

Sounds great too.

Chris is offline   Reply With Quote