Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 12:02   #5926
davews
Inactive

davews is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Oscar View Post
Steve Gibson at grc.com is heavily into web security, I wonder what he thinks about all this?
Steve to date has not said anything about Phorm or its US equivalents, which I find quite surprising - I follow his newsgroups and Security Now podcast (as pdf transcript) and not a word.

To try and stir some interest I added a comment to a posting on his grc.news.feedback newsgroup where I know he posts. Steve is currently doing a lot of work in cookies, so surely this is up his street. You can see my post in the thread at http://12078.net/grcnews/article.php...feedback#71899 (as Dave Sergeant) and it has currently generated one interesting reply, but nothing from Steve yet. If you want to reply you need to subscribe to grc.news.feedback at news.grc.com
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2008, 12:16   #5927
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Dave from that link I found the talk of what Phorm is amusing but totally honest not sure if we are allowed to quoted from that site would be good if we can..
Old 07-05-2008, 12:43   #5928
SelfProtection
Inactive

SelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Dave from that link I found the talk of what Phorm is amusing but totally honest not sure if we are allowed to quoted from that site would be good if we can..
I suggest you ask him via the suggested newsgroup.

Indexing by Google or other Sources is strongly discouraged, but as far as I know he has no objection to individual Information Links & requests for information on Security Privacy Issues.

I believe he is acutely aware of the current situation concerning Phorm & other such Technologies, his "Up & Coming Cookie Forensics System" being part of this overall picture.
Old 07-05-2008, 14:01   #5929
NTLVictim
Inactive

Services: Finding people (retired)
NTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Firth View Post
Then you beat me to it by one day! I only started reading this thread a couple of weeks ago but you are welcome to the domain if you want it in recognition of your post. Just set up a 123-reg account and PM me and I'll transfer it to you for zippo.
You are more than welcome to the domain, I'm sure you will make much better use of it than I!

Feel free to use any ani phorm phrases that might pop out of what I laughingly call my brain as well, including t shirt printing etc.

I'm trying to focus on joe public.
Old 07-05-2008, 14:08   #5930
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Had a reply from Amazon.

Wonder what next I did take my concerns to my ISP and never had response then what arrived wasn't the type you expected so I moved to a phorm phree ISP..
That's reassuring - still puzzles me though, comparing that with what looked like PhormPRTeam spin which is what I got from Amazon when I wrote on the same topic-

Dear Customer,

What makes the technology behind OIX and Webwise truly groundbreaking is that it takes consumer privacy protection to a new level. Our technology doesn't store any personally identifiable information or IP addresses, and we don't retain information on user browsing behaviour. So we never know - and can't record - who's browsing, or where they've browsed.

If you have any concerns, please highlight them to your internet service provider.

Thank you for shopping at Amazon.co.uk

Please let us know if this e-mail answered your question:

Still waiting for the final reply.
Old 07-05-2008, 14:24   #5931
James_Firth
Inactive

James_Firth is on a distinguished roadJames_Firth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTLVictim View Post
You are more than welcome to the domain, I'm sure you will make much better use of it than I!

Feel free to use any ani phorm phrases that might pop out of what I laughingly call my brain as well, including t shirt printing etc.

I'm trying to focus on joe public.
Thanks! Unfortunately despite my fits of posting I do have major work commitments too but I'll see what I can do. I genuinely thought I'd got there first but as ever it is usually the case that one has picked it up from somewhere, and besides there's very rarely such a thing as a truly unique idea, which somewhat makes a mockery of certain systems designed to protect intellectual "property". Many groups and composers fighting to protect their royalties owe their success to the society in which they developed, including every piece of music they ever listened to. Except perhaps John Cage.
Old 07-05-2008, 14:32   #5932
jelv
Inactive

jelv is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not impressed with the number of one particular party who have signed the Early Day Motion:

Conservative Party 3
Democratic Unionist Party 4
INDEPENDENT LABOUR 1
Labour Party 13
Liberal Democrats 23
Social Democratic and Labour Party 1

My (Conservative) MP hasn't even responded to the message I sent urging him to sign.

Looks like another round of letters to those whose MPs haven't signed is needed.
Old 07-05-2008, 14:38   #5933
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Jones View Post
That's reassuring - still puzzles me though, comparing that with what looked like PhormPRTeam spin which is what I got from Amazon when I wrote on the same topic-

Dear Customer,

What makes the technology behind OIX and Webwise truly groundbreaking is that it takes consumer privacy protection to a new level. Our technology doesn't store any personally identifiable information or IP addresses, and we don't retain information on user browsing behaviour. So we never know - and can't record - who's browsing, or where they've browsed.

If you have any concerns, please highlight them to your internet service provider.

Thank you for shopping at Amazon.co.uk

Please let us know if this e-mail answered your question:

Still waiting for the final reply.
I sort of told them that if they were part of the OIX platform I would be closig my accout with them and buying elsewere. also... Pointed out I felt so strong fro my online security. Since I have been buying xmas present supplying uni books etc from them I have bought a lot..

Back onto Phorm a member who hasn't posted has offered to host the capts videos of the public meeting I have alink to this website have sent one to Alexander just not sure if we should post public of pass it around over pms?

link to the videos for any one still need to see the public meeting www.buttonclicker.com
Old 07-05-2008, 15:18   #5934
SelfProtection
Inactive

SelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
I sort of told them that if they were part of the OIX platform I would be closig my accout with them and buying elsewere. also... Pointed out I felt so strong fro my online security. Since I have been buying xmas present supplying uni books etc from them I have bought a lot..

Back onto Phorm a member who hasn't posted has offered to host the capts videos of the public meeting I have alink to this website have sent one to Alexander just not sure if we should post public of pass it around over pms?

link to the videos for any one still need to see the public meeting www.buttonclicker.com
This Site is also back on line at the moment.
http://tobymeres.net/
Old 07-05-2008, 15:39   #5935
Florence
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfProtection View Post
This Site is also back on line at the moment.
http://tobymeres.net/
Possibly the more different hostings it is on the better.
Old 07-05-2008, 16:09   #5936
BeckyD
Inactive

Services: 8Mb Aquiss BB, BT Phone, Sky TV
BeckyD is an unknown quantity at this point

Thought this might amuse you all. My husband was filling in a Ciao survey this afternoon and this was one of the survey pages:

Wonder if the survey BT did was presented like this. I also wonder what advertising company this part of the Ciao survey was conducted on behalf of - could it be phorm perhaps?
Old 07-05-2008, 16:34   #5937
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

some interesting "Calls for tenders" from this page, some of which relate very much to the EU DPA and the Data Protection 29 working party i have linked to in the past.

and recently mentioned by (which hat am i wearing in this post or it might be a personal Opinion ) simon and the potential of a future UK/EU/US trade war!

it might also help if you can see last nights more four "true stories thin/Taking Liberties" program to see how all this might fit together in the future....
http://www.channel4.com/video/true-s...s/catchup.html
"This polemical and irreverent film examines how our fundamental rights are being systematically undermined in the current climate of fear."

http://ec.europa.eu/justice_home/fun...tm#117940-2008

as referenced from the
http://ec.europa.eu/justice_home/fsj...s/index_en.htm
Data Protection — European Commission
Old 07-05-2008, 16:45   #5938
NTLVictim
Inactive

Services: Finding people (retired)
NTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these parts

Just messing around, whaddayathink?

BTrayal
Old 07-05-2008, 16:53   #5939
Deko
Permanently Banned

Deko is an unknown quantity at this point

Check this out..

http://www.iii.co.uk/investment/deta...ail&id=4020481

Quote:
PHORM are apparently being investigated for making incorrect statements regarding agreements with Virgin. If they are found guilty of this it could lead to their shares being suspended if the regulator gets to use the new powers announced today.
phrom iii boards
Old 07-05-2008, 17:07   #5940
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 12 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfProtection View Post
https://www.grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm

This particular User or Malware may have enabled the Windows Messenger Service.
Interesting that the service apparently doesn't exist in Vista...not that anyone'll miss it, of course.
Closed Thread