Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Black Lives Matter

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Black Lives Matter

Old 07-06-2020, 13:15   #31
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Re: Black Lives Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by downquark1 View Post
Racism is a broad concept. Hate crime is a (recent) specific legal concept relating to regular crimes getting recategorised based on the motivation behind the crime.
aah, so a couple of Polish chaps beating the crap out of a Slovak isn't racist, but if they beat the crap out of a hindu it is?

I'm not even sure who categorises these crimes anyway, is it the police, the CPS, or the media?

Last edited by Carth; 07-06-2020 at 13:25. Reason: LOL, typed CPU instead of CPS *numbnuts*
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-06-2020, 13:15   #32
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I didn’t say it didn’t work for me, I said it’d be unlikely to succeed. Unfortunately many of these things are entrenched in generations, even before I was born. Political parties, across the world, enjoy “othering” as a cheap way to appeal to the majority of the population by arousing suspicion against minorities and appealing to cheap, often evidence lacking, stereotypes.

In the absence of it succeeding all you can do is hope that over time future generations become enlightened. The same way the societal norms of the 1800s, 1900s and 2000s are vastly different on a range of issues e.g. religion, role of women, sexuality, gender, etc. You are unlikely to convince someone who became an entrenched racist in the 1960s that all their lives they’ve been wrong. Their entire mindset is driven by the idea that minorities either shouldn’t be here or should be grateful that they are and not complain about it.
And how does anyone become enlightened? By education. Where to start? In schools as a starting point. It NEEDS to be taught on how to avoid entrenched thinking.
Old 07-06-2020, 13:37   #33
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
aah, so a couple of Polish chaps beating the crap out of a Slovak isn't racist, but if they beat the crap out of a hindu it is?

I'm not even sure who categorises these crimes anyway, is it the police, the CPS, or the media?
Depends which concept of race you are going with. The law is defined by Parliament, arrests are decided by the police and charges by the crown prosecutor or the district attorney if you are in America. Each of these levels are open to bias.

I'm not massively educated on the specifics in English law.

Last edited by downquark1; 07-06-2020 at 13:53.
downquark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 13:45   #34
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Ive recently been called a racist for saying "All lives matter not just black lives". The woman went mental at me and said i was racist.

If it had been a bloke the way they were towards me id have thumped them thats how bad they reacted.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 13:50   #35
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
And how does anyone become enlightened? By education. Where to start? In schools as a starting point. It NEEDS to be taught on how to avoid entrenched thinking.
I agree on that.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 14:37   #36
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Black, white, ginger, blonde, fat, skinny, gay, straight. We are all human and bleed the same colour blood. This might be an extreme stance but I now believe that things such as black lives matter or LGBT are making things worse than better. Its creating an us and them attitude. It’s segregating people when we should be uniting as one and flushing out the bad people.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 14:52   #37
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
Black, white, ginger, blonde, fat, skinny, gay, straight. We are all human and bleed the same colour blood. This might be an extreme stance but I now believe that things such as black lives matter or LGBT are making things worse than better. Its creating an us and them attitude. It’s segregating people when we should be uniting as one and flushing out the bad people.
Trouble is people use the all lives matter response as a whataboutism issue. At the moment Black lives is the issue because it's been shoved under the carpet every single time it's been brought up. Nothing ever gets done about it by anyone for all of my life. I still remember the no blacks signs in London in the 50/60s when I was a child.Equal rights legislation did help but we still need to do more.
Old 07-06-2020, 15:00   #38
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
Trouble is people use the all lives matter response as a whataboutism issue. At the moment Black lives is the issue because it's been shoved under the carpet every single time it's been brought up. Nothing ever gets done about it by anyone for all of my life. I still remember the no blacks signs in London in the 50/60s when I was a child.Equal rights legislation did help but we still need to do more.
Black lives matter no more than white lives matter. If we want to fix the problem, the first thing we need to do as humans is stop separating who we are. We aren't black, we aren't white. We are just human and some humans are good and other humans are bad. Until that's taught to people, in my opinion there will always be trouble. Let's stop segregating ourselves into groups and let's fight the issue properly. All lives matter. I don't need to be told black lives matter as I'm not racist.
Old 07-06-2020, 15:20   #39
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Black lives matter no more than white lives matter. If we want to fix the problem, the first thing we need to do as humans is stop separating who we are. We aren't black, we aren't white. We are just human and some humans are good and other humans are bad. Until that's taught to people, in my opinion there will always be trouble. Let's stop segregating ourselves into groups and let's fight the issue properly. All lives matter. I don't need to be told black lives matter as I'm not racist.
It's easy to claim that when you are white and actually the privileged majority. White people do not know what it is to be considered less than others. The nearest I might get to be considered unequal is as a woman which I have experienced in my lifetime.It really stings when your worth is considered to be less than a man.
Old 07-06-2020, 15:35   #40
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
White people do not know what it is to be considered less than others.
Nice sweeping statement, which I'm sure is completely untrue.
I'll bet there are countless 'white people' who are considered "less than others", and I suppose all this fuss about mental health is complete nonsense ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 15:36   #41
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
It's easy to claim that when you are white and actually the privileged majority. White people do not know what it is to be considered less than others. The nearest I might get to be considered unequal is as a woman which I have experienced in my lifetime.It really stings when your worth is considered to be less than a man.
The above is exactly what I'm talking about. Two things here. You've just assumed I'm white and then labelled me different to a black person.

I'm not white, I'm a human. Let's start the education there. We are all equal to each other. I'll fight for racism to be rid in this world but my opinion is that can only happen more if we now stop separating ourselves into groups. It's now creating an us and them situation which is exactly what it shouldn't be doing.
Old 07-06-2020, 15:44   #42
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
The above is exactly what I'm talking about. Two things here. You've just assumed I'm white and then labelled me different to a black person.

I'm not white, I'm a human. Let's start the education there. We are all equal to each other. I'll fight for racism to be rid in this world but my opinion is that can only happen more if we now stop separating ourselves into groups. It's now creating an us and them situation which is exactly what it shouldn't be doing.
I'm not white I'm a human, it's that kind of thing that causes divisions.
Old 07-06-2020, 16:04   #43
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Yes but the BLM movement is a movement against The authorities killing Black people and that is not the case here.

The authorities are not the cause of black deaths in the U.K.
Old 07-06-2020, 16:07   #44
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
I'm not white I'm a human, it's that kind of thing that causes divisions.
Why? Who is not a human?
Old 07-06-2020, 16:19   #45
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Why? Who is not a human?
You're dictating on how you want to be treated. You don't want the label of black, white or whatever. you want to be treated differently to just about everyone else and you still want your views to mean something. It's like what is it 50 odd shades of gender now, but you're still either male or female. If you don't like it or if that is an issue then it is no one else problem other than your own.