Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 18-10-2018, 16:29   #4576
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well, Vintage TV and ITV Encore are the first in a long line of linear channels that we will see disappearing from our screens over the coming years. I dare say GINX will be the next to go into administration.

Hardly supports your mantra though, there will always be the odd channel disappearing (going bust) and others appearing.

Not part of your streaming take-over, merely economics.
Advertisement
Old 20-10-2018, 04:51   #4577
LaLiga
Inactive

LaLiga is an unknown quantity at this point

Sport and streaming do not mix. Amazon and Eleven have found out the hard way that live streaming is a pain. Why even try in that market? Buffering, pixelation screen too big/too small for Monitor/ Tablet, get Chromecast out..it's still shit. And at the moment they are still over a minute behind actual live coverage!

However I do agree the linear none-sport TV channels will slowly get eaten up. They practically give away Sky Movies now and those mid-tier Discovery/MTV channels will be next. People won't be complaining about the loss of Dave or UK TV in a few years.

For VM they should concentrate on sport (welcome news on testing of Eleven and reason I've signed to forum!) and providing the Apps for the subscription service. Maybe offering bundled App deals or packaged with Broadband App deals.

I think the main terrestrial channels will be good for a long while yet they can run side by side with streaming (Strictly wouldn't be the same if it wasn't Live!).

More emphasis on sport, a reduction on the mid-tier tv packs in size and price with the FTA channels continuing and more access to Apps (Amazon) is the way to go.

Last edited by LaLiga; 20-10-2018 at 04:58.
Old 20-10-2018, 17:18   #4578
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLiga View Post
Sport and streaming do not mix. Amazon and Eleven have found out the hard way that live streaming is a pain. Why even try in that market? Buffering, pixelation screen too big/too small for Monitor/ Tablet, get Chromecast out..it's still shit. And at the moment they are still over a minute behind actual live coverage!

However I do agree the linear none-sport TV channels will slowly get eaten up. They practically give away Sky Movies now and those mid-tier Discovery/MTV channels will be next. People won't be complaining about the loss of Dave or UK TV in a few years.

For VM they should concentrate on sport (welcome news on testing of Eleven and reason I've signed to forum!) and providing the Apps for the subscription service. Maybe offering bundled App deals or packaged with Broadband App deals.

I think the main terrestrial channels will be good for a long while yet they can run side by side with streaming (Strictly wouldn't be the same if it wasn't Live!).

More emphasis on sport, a reduction on the mid-tier tv packs in size and price with the FTA channels continuing and more access to Apps (Amazon) is the way to go.
I completely sympathise with those who are having difficulties with live streaming of sport. Indeed, many people are experiencing buffering and other issues, we all suffer from the time lag and many cannot even access streaming services yet because of the state of our broadband and its relatively limited reach.

However, these problems will resolve themselves over the next few years, including latency, which the BBC has prioritised right now.

The main terrestrials are indeed likely to last the longest as the smaller channels become financially unviable. It stands to reason that once the majority of people move to on demand programming, advertisers will want to pay less for their reduced audiences. The bigger channels will be able to keep going for a while, but those that are not making a lot of profit at the moment will go under.
Old 20-10-2018, 18:05   #4579
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I completely sympathise with those who are having difficulties with live streaming of sport. Indeed, many people are experiencing buffering and other issues, we all suffer from the time lag and many cannot even access streaming services yet because of the state of our broadband and its relatively limited reach.

However, these problems will resolve themselves over the next few years, including latency, which the BBC has prioritised right now.

The main terrestrials are indeed likely to last the longest as the smaller channels become financially unviable. It stands to reason that once the majority of people move to on demand programming, advertisers will want to pay less for their reduced audiences. The bigger channels will be able to keep going for a while, but those that are not making a lot of profit at the moment will go under.
Agree with a lot of what you say, however why is there a need for streaming - set channels up, with ability to record 6 channels at any one time per V6 box you can watch linear channels when you want.

Agreed you cannot watch before the broadcast time (even if you can with streaming) but as I'm interested in sport you cannot watch it before it is played
Old 20-10-2018, 19:29   #4580
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Agree with a lot of what you say, however why is there a need for streaming - set channels up, with ability to record 6 channels at any one time per V6 box you can watch linear channels when you want.

Agreed you cannot watch before the broadcast time (even if you can with streaming) but as I'm interested in sport you cannot watch it before it is played
It's simply that people are getting used to an alternative means of viewing. As people get used to watching TV via on demand, watching live streamed events will feel more natural with time. Look how the BBC i-Player has on demand and live streaming integrated. It's pretty seamless, which encourages viewers to use it.

I do a lot of recording, but to be honest, it's a bit of a faff planning what you want to record and setting up each programme or series, and then having to manage your recordings so you don't run out of space. So much easier just to go to your on demand service and pick out what you want as you are ready to watch. The main problem with on demand is the time limitations - I'd use on demand much more if those time limits were not there.
Old 20-10-2018, 22:34   #4581
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

My experience is different from that of Old Boy. Once a series link is set up (hardly difficult) and forgotten about it is refreshing to find episodes of a new series of something you enjoyed before has recorded even though you did not know it was on again (for instance, this week Ambulance). I find that relaxing and far less of a faff than ploughing through On Demand or Netflix.
Old 20-10-2018, 23:20   #4582
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1948uk View Post
My experience is different from that of Old Boy. Once a series link is set up (hardly difficult) and forgotten about it is refreshing to find episodes of a new series of something you enjoyed before has recorded even though you did not know it was on again (for instance, this week Ambulance). I find that relaxing and far less of a faff than ploughing through On Demand or Netflix.
Have to agree, take control of what you watch (catch-up is useful if someone suggests a series is good and you have missed the 1st episode or so)

It's a once a week exercise for me, although it really pisses me off when they split the lunchtime premier league match into a build up and the match when I have already set the recording - but catch-up doesn't help one iota with sport.

Not paying for Netflix so cannot comment, on demand / catch-up is too time restrictive for me. I have been caught out a couple of times when downloading the first of a series only for it to disappear before I have watched it(on sky)
Old 21-10-2018, 00:09   #4583
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
It's not a difficult thing to do to set up a series link. But when you think about the process:

1. Identify the programme you want to record, probably from your TV magazines or the EPG.

2. Go to the EPG and record.

3. Ensure that you have enough room on your hard drive with all the recordings you are making for the following week.

4. View when you are ready and fast forward through the commercial breaks.

With on demand, the steps are:

1. Select the programme and watch it.

That is the point I am making, and those of us with busy lives really appreciate the ease of watching on demand.

The only issue really is the limited time you have to watch programmes on the players and Now TV.

---------- Post added at 23:08 ---------- Previous post was at 23:05 ----------

Quote:
Obviously, you don't record much, at least in HD, or you would find yourself juggling recordings with the amount of space left on your hard drive!

---------- Post added at 23:09 ---------- Previous post was at 23:08 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Have to agree, take control of what you watch (catch-up is useful if someone suggests a series is good and you have missed the 1st episode or so)

It's a once a week exercise for me, although it really pisses me off when they split the lunchtime premier league match into a build up and the match when I have already set the recording - but catch-up doesn't help one iota with sport.

Not paying for Netflix so cannot comment, on demand / catch-up is too time restrictive for me. I have been caught out a couple of times when downloading the first of a series only for it to disappear before I have watched it(on sky)
You really can't rely on catch-up as these programmes disappear after a week!
Old 21-10-2018, 00:31   #4584
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Most catch up I use is 30 days as for recording I do them all in HD with some in UHD and never have space issues.
Old 21-10-2018, 09:03   #4585
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

My V6 is often over 90+ percent full and programmes get deleted automatically, but I am not bothered because I am only prepared to give a certain amount of time per day to TV viewing.
Everybody is different in their viewing habits, a fact that some on this forum seem unable to grasp.
Following the recent difficulties with UK TV, I took a renewed look at the Drama channel and now greatly enjoy my daily dose of London's Burning and slowly but surely am getting through the recorded episodes of Call the Midwife.
Yes, I enjoy new productions too but there are so many good ones and they will be repeated so there is no rush.
Except for the news, I rarely watch anything live.
Old 21-10-2018, 20:08   #4586
pengedragon
cf.addict

Services: Full House, V6, Netflix, Spotify Premium, Sky Go Extra, Eleven Sports, PS4 , 100 meg bb
pengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nice

Been watching Eleven all afternoon on my TV via Chromecast without a problem
Obviously it's unfortunate if others are having problems but there is nothing wrong with the service itself
Old 21-10-2018, 22:27   #4587
LaLiga
Inactive

LaLiga is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengedragon View Post
Been watching Eleven all afternoon on my TV via Chromecast without a problem
Obviously it's unfortunate if others are having problems but there is nothing wrong with the service itself
The stream is over a minute behind actual live coverage and Chromecast is never going to be as good as in quality compared to a dedicated TV feed.

They also have frame rate issues.
Old 21-10-2018, 22:43   #4588
pengedragon
cf.addict

Services: Full House, V6, Netflix, Spotify Premium, Sky Go Extra, Eleven Sports, PS4 , 100 meg bb
pengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nice

I wouldn't know how far behind it was as it would be quite strange to watch it on 2 different services at the same time

I can't see a difference in PQ between Eleven and football on my TV via a normal channel
Old 22-10-2018, 10:40   #4589
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

It's not like being behind is exclusive to streaming, when i had BTSport i used to see champions league goals getting posted on reddit before they'd happened on my screen watching the normal HD channels.
Old 22-10-2018, 14:18   #4590
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLiga View Post
The stream is over a minute behind actual live coverage and Chromecast is never going to be as good as in quality compared to a dedicated TV feed.

They also have frame rate issues.
The PQ is more likely to be a problem with your set-up unless there are localised problems where you live. The streaming quality in my house is just fine.
Closed Thread