Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Free V6 box

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Free V6 box

Old 30-01-2018, 17:30   #106
Wild Oscar
cf.addict

Wild Oscar is on a distinguished roadWild Oscar is on a distinguished road
Re: Free V6 box

There was also a 'method' of increasing capacity of a TIVO by simply taking out the old drive and putting in a bigger one as I recall , 500GB to 1TB for example.

The box would automatically format the drive and prepare it for use, whether that works with a VM box I wouldn't know ... probably not if VM have copyright issues!
Wild Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-01-2018, 17:57   #107
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Or you could just archive off anything you want from TiVo via the scart, to a hard drive/dvd recorder, seems a lot easier.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 18:41   #108
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

I think people need to get out more, unless of course housebound through illness etc, but I feel the amount of storage on the V6 is more than adequate.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 19:25   #109
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I think people need to get out more, unless of course housebound through illness etc, but I feel the amount of storage on the V6 is more than adequate.

Imagine if you have a large family who each watch different stuff, then it will fill up quickly.
Old 30-01-2018, 20:23   #110
AlabasterLyn
cf.addict

AlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about them

We had our TIVO box replaced by a V6 box last week and have been quite impressed with it. Our old TIVO box has replaced our even older V+ box so we are able to watch all the stuff we had recorded on it.
Haven't worked out how to stream from the TIVO box to the V6 box, the engineer who came to install the new box said you can only stream from a V6 box to another V6 box, but I was under the impression you could stream from a TIVO box too.
Our superhub is upstairs and our TIVO and V6 box are both downstairs so they are connected wirelessly which might be part of the problem.
I've read about those powerlink things but don't want to waste money on something that won't work!
AlabasterLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 20:49   #111
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

TIVo doesn’t have WiFi so that explains why it’s not working.
You’ll need to use powerlines.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 23:04   #112
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
No, it's not, Max. It only allows 120 hours of HD recordings, which is not very much at all.

If it was sufficient, I wouldn't be using two V6s and a DVD recorder!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 23:12   #113
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
No, it's not, Max. It only allows 120 hours of HD recordings, which is not very much at all.
You seriously need to get out more

Even if you recorded 6 hours of TV a day (every day) thats almost three weeks worth.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 23:48   #114
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
You seriously need to get out more

Even if you recorded 6 hours of TV a day (every day) thats almost three weeks worth.

Spot on, people rely on TV far too much nowadays, instead of getting out and about, especially when the weather improves.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 00:17   #115
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

It'll be more than that now after the MPEG4 change for the HD channels.
Old 31-01-2018, 04:43   #116
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Not when you record programmes in HD and if one has a household of 3 to 4 people.

---------- Post added at 04:40 ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
It'll be more than that now after the MPEG4 change for the HD channels.
How much more BenMcr?.

---------- Post added at 04:43 ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 ----------

Quote:

What about if several full series come along which they show over one weekend which the usually do as that soon gobbles up the memory IMO OB.
Old 31-01-2018, 07:36   #117
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Cripes, I've never come close to filling my TiVo up. Is there that much worth watching, what am I missing?
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 08:13   #118
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
How much more BenMcr?
It depends what you record, but will be close to double for most of the HD channels.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 08:41   #119
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Spot on, people rely on TV far too much nowadays, instead of getting out and about, especially when the weather improves.
Hey, Max, I never watch TV during the day. My wife watches some stuff in the early evening; I never manage to sit down until 8.30 at the earliest. In the summertime, it's not until 10pm on a nice evening. However, I still seem to manage a couple of hours viewing on most nights.

---------- Post added at 08:41 ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Not when you record programmes in HD and if one has a household of 3 to 4 people.

What about if several full series come along which they show over one weekend which the usually do as that soon gobbles up the memory IMO OB.
Spot on!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 09:21   #120
AlabasterLyn
cf.addict

AlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
TIVo doesn’t have WiFi so that explains why it’s not working.
You’ll need to use powerlines.
Thanks for that. I know that I'd have to connect one to the back of the superhub, so do I assume from your reply that the other one connects to the back of the TIVO box or is it the back of the V6 box, bit clueless to be honest
AlabasterLyn is offline   Reply With Quote