Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Free V6 box

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Free V6 box

Old 30-01-2018, 10:29   #91
Wild Oscar
cf.addict

Wild Oscar is on a distinguished roadWild Oscar is on a distinguished road
Re: Free V6 box

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
That's never been available on the Virgin Media boxes.
Maybe ... it involved taking out the hard drive, putting it in a caddy and connecting it to the PC, running a proggie and then extracting all the stuff on it ...

I found it on a US based site all about the TIVO boxes some time back now!
Wild Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-01-2018, 10:36   #92
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yank View Post
there was an offer to change them FOC up till end of December.
Not for everyone there wasn't.

There was some targeted swaps for customers where they had older V HD or V+ HD boxes and were subscribing to Sky Sports HD.

I think there was also a targeted swap offer for some other customers too, the same as other offers have a target audience.

This current activity is the first one where all customers that don't already have a Virgin TV V6 box can get a free swap to one.
Old 30-01-2018, 11:02   #93
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Oscar View Post
Maybe ... it involved taking out the hard drive, putting it in a caddy and connecting it to the PC, running a proggie and then extracting all the stuff on it ...

That would be for original TiVos, which were basically analogue video recorders. VM TiVos have always had encrypted hard drives to prevent content being copied.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 13:03   #94
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
I've got a tivo and a vhd.

Rang up about this offer a few months ago, when they were charging the £20. Didn't want to swap the Tivo, ever so fond of it's scart output, but wanted to swap the Vhd for a V6. There was an extra monthly charge, reason being it was a recordable box, has this changed ?
So to answer my own question yes, you can swap a non-recording VHD (rather than a Tivo) for a V6 for no extra charge. The nice person in retentions said yes. It better be good
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 13:18   #95
mhatter67

Services: Big Kahuna, Phone XL, Boxnation

Quote:
So to answer my own question yes, you can swap a non-recording VHD (rather than a Tivo) for a V6 for no extra charge. The nice person in retentions said yes. It better be good
The only issue I had was the SH3 that normally comes as standard with a V6 box, my home plugs did not work consistently anymore with constant loss of connection, so I had to revert to WIFI connection to my V6 Tivo
Old 30-01-2018, 13:21   #96
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

A question - ideally would like to link my Tivo and V6 to watch recordings from each.

My tivo is already networked via ethernet cable. I'm anticipating using wifi for the V6. - will this work to link to the tivo or do i need to get the V6 hardwired into my home network with a powerline ?
Old 30-01-2018, 13:23   #97
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

As long as it's a good WiFi connection, it'll work
Old 30-01-2018, 13:26   #98
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
As long as it's a good WiFi connection, it'll work
ta Ben, of course its a good wifi connection, I use Modem mode
Old 30-01-2018, 13:29   #99
mhatter67

Quote:
A question - ideally would like to link my Tivo and V6 to watch recordings from each.

My tivo is already networked via ethernet cable. I'm anticipating using wifi for the V6. - will this work to link to the tivo or do i need to get the V6 hardwired into my home network with a powerline ?
Sorry someone will have to help you with one, but on certain recordings I can stream or download my recording to my tablet!

I never go an answer to my question why suddenly with the SH3 my home plugs did not work consistently anymore and now all my devices in our living room are wirelessly connected!
Old 30-01-2018, 13:33   #100
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatter67 View Post
Sorry someone will have to help you with one, but on certain recordings I can stream or download my recording to my tablet!

I never go an answer to my question why suddenly with the SH3 my home plugs did not work consistently anymore and now all my devices in our living room are wirelessly connected!
Unplug it all and start again ?

Got an SH2ac, they never said anything about needing an SH3.
Old 30-01-2018, 13:39   #101
mhatter67

Quote:
Unplug it all and start again ?

Did that worked for a while and dropped connect again, annoying watching Netflix on the VM box Think it is standard practice to replace you internet superhubs with the new version 3!

To be fair for me at least the Wifi on SH3 in very stable that is a bonus
Old 30-01-2018, 14:41   #102
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
SH2ac is fine.

Modem mode (or more specifically your standalone router) might be "interesting" if you want to use Netflix though. Keep us posted.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 14:52   #103
Wild Oscar
cf.addict

Wild Oscar is on a distinguished roadWild Oscar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
That would be for original TiVos, which were basically analogue video recorders. VM TiVos have always had encrypted hard drives to prevent content being copied.
Ah, I see! Makes sense ... thanks Ben!
Wild Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 14:52   #104
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
SH2ac is fine.

Modem mode (or more specifically your standalone router) might be "interesting" if you want to use Netflix though. Keep us posted.
Don't use Netflix, but do use iPlayer. Try it and see I guess.
Old 30-01-2018, 15:32   #105
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Oscar View Post

Yes - I head one of the first TiVo units sold in the UK. I increased recording capacity in this manner.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote