Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 13:04   #13771
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Jones View Post
So if we link to the Phorm site from any of our own pages, we could make sure it is via the sponsored Google paid for link, and not the plain url, then everyone who goes there from OUR links will cost Phorm money - in fact, will transfer a little money from Phorm to their enemy google. It's a sort of reverse OIX - using google to cost phorm money as a little protest against the way they plan to use Webwise to take traffic and visitors away from our websites.

Any legal problem with that?

Just take a moment for anyone with website links set up to Phorm, to change them from phorm dot com to the sponsored link.
Anyone have any idea how much a 'click' is likely to cost Phorm?
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2008, 13:05   #13772
rryles
Inactive

rryles will become famous soon enoughrryles will become famous soon enoughrryles will become famous soon enough

Quote:
So if we link to the Phorm site from any of our own pages, we could make sure it is via the sponsored Google paid for link, and not the plain url, then everyone who goes there from OUR links will cost Phorm money - in fact, will transfer a little money from Phorm to their enemy google. It's a sort of reverse OIX - using google to cost phorm money as a little protest against the way they plan to use Webwise to take traffic and visitors away from our websites.

Just take a moment for anyone with website links set up to Phorm, to change them from phorm dot com to the sponsored link.
I think there is a technical problem. Google have systems to prevent exactly that kind of activity. The referrer will be wrong and the link should change every time too.

I don't think that's a good route to go down ethically either.
Old 12-08-2008, 13:06   #13773
tarka
Inactive

tarka is on a distinguished roadtarka is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I think that could well be classed as click fraud. Probably best not to go any further down that route.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Click_fraud
Old 12-08-2008, 13:06   #13774
lucevans
Inactive

lucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

I like it unfortunately, I think it doesn't serve our campaign to become as dishonest as Phorm
Old 12-08-2008, 13:08   #13775
madslug
Inactive

madslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

The phrase 'click fraud' comes to mind.

What would be perfectly legal, if they have included content in the ad options, is to write a page about 'phorm' without providing any links and then add AdSense to the page. The advantage being that you will then earn from any clicks if an ad for the phorm site appears. [There is also the option to exclude certain sites from the content option, so earnings may not last once the page is discovered.]

On the other hand, the OIX wants to help monetise sites which have been written for no other purpose than to earn money by make them attractive for displaying ads ...
Old 12-08-2008, 13:52   #13776
BetBlowWhistler
Inactive

BetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deko View Post
@betblow congratulations you just volunteered to update the wiki page with more info about the copyright issue :-)
Madslug has kindly pointed my blind old eyes at the link.

[/slopey shoulder]

I've never updated a wiki page before and I hesitate to start now. I hate computers.
Old 12-08-2008, 13:55   #13777
HamsterWheel
cf.addict

HamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notoriety

Quote:

The problem with that is that Phorm will not be paying on a per click basis, but via a periodoc fixed fee. Google has more than one way of charging, loads in fact. So you'll probably be wasting your time, and no doubt letting Google know what you're up to. But if you're happy to have them invading your privacy......
Old 12-08-2008, 14:02   #13778
icsys
Inactive

Services: Virgin - BB,TV,Phone Sky box - with no sub Freeview - idtv
icsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really nice

News stories continue to appear through the 'lesser' news channels.
Is Phorm getting to BT?

Market analyst Gartner even suggests that telco's should gain revenue from advertising and application services based on what they know about their customers.
Delcroix, a Gartner research vice-president, said the issue of customer profiling was overblown. "Telcos do not know as much about their customers as Google or FaceBook know about theirs," he said. Gartner called for regulators to allow telcos to compete on level terms with search and social network firms.

All these comparisons to Google, it has to make you wonder why although google says 'we are not phorm', they still imply that it frowns on the Phorm/NebuAd model - which does not require an opt-in.

Note to Google - Phorm technology does require an opt-in. This is because BT would need to get permission from their customers in order for the trial to take place.
Old 12-08-2008, 14:04   #13779
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterWheel View Post
The problem with that is that Phorm will not be paying on a per click basis, but via a periodoc fixed fee. Google has more than one way of charging, loads in fact. So you'll probably be wasting your time, and no doubt letting Google know what you're up to. But if you're happy to have them invading your privacy......
Hammy to get the debate rolling since you love our company so much pray tell us a little more on how Phorm will protect my privacy. When all links show Phorm as being a company of may paths, mirror servers and most placed outside the EU?
How having an adserver based in China protects me from unanted invaision of my privacy?
How intercepting my browsing gives me a choice when the interception is ISP side?
Why if this is soo good you Haven't launched your own ISP with this as the main attraction for cheaper Internet surfing ?( This taken from words Kent has spoken no ISP has ever said they would lower prices for acepting this)
If a customer doesn't opt-in is the browsing still going to be intercepted?

Answer those without PR spin and we can have a meaningful debate.
Old 12-08-2008, 14:08   #13780
tarka
Inactive

tarka is on a distinguished roadtarka is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Market analyst Gartner even suggests that telco's should gain revenue from advertising and application services based on what they know about their customers.
Telco's... short for telecommunications provider... not advertising provider.
Old 12-08-2008, 14:11   #13781
HamsterWheel
cf.addict

HamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notoriety

Florence

When all links show Phorm as being a company of may paths, mirror servers and most placed outside the EU? THAT IS JUST EARLY SUPPOSITION - WAIT UNTIL WEBWISE IS PROPERLY LAUNCHED TO CONDEMN IT FOR THAT.
How having an adserver based in China protects me from unanted invaision of my privacy? AGAIN, JUST EARLY SUPPOSITION.
How intercepting my browsing gives me a choice when the interception is ISP side? WHO CLAIMED IT GAVE YOU A CHOICE ? YOU HAVE A CHOICE NOT TO USE IT.
Why if this is soo good you Haven't launched your own ISP with this as the main attraction for cheaper Internet surfing ?( This taken from words Kent has spoken no ISP has ever said they would lower prices for acepting this)
If a customer doesn't opt-in is the browsing still going to be intercepted? NOW YOU'RE BEING SILLY - HOW CAN I TAKE ON BT WHEN BT INVESTED BILLIONS ?

Answer those without PR spin and we can have a meaningful debate. I'M NOT A PR PERSON

PS, YOU'D COME ACROSS A LOT BETTER IF HALF OF YOUR POSTS DIDN'T HARP ON ABOUT BT'S BOSSES PAY. THAT IS A MATTER FOR THEIR SHAREHOLDERS - IF YOU'RE NOT ONE, THEN FRANKLY THAT IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS.
Old 12-08-2008, 14:16   #13782
SelfProtection
Inactive

SelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Florence

When all links show Phorm as being a company of may paths, mirror servers and most placed outside the EU? THAT IS JUST EARLY SUPPOSITION - WAIT UNTIL WEBWISE IS PROPERLY LAUNCHED TO CONDEMN IT FOR THAT.
How having an adserver based in China protects me from unanted invaision of my privacy? AGAIN, JUST EARLY SUPPOSITION.
How intercepting my browsing gives me a choice when the interception is ISP side? WHO CLAIMED IT GAVE YOU A CHOICE ? YOU HAVE A CHOICE NOT TO USE IT.
If a customer doesn't opt-in is the browsing still going to be intercepted? NOW YOU'RE BEING SILLY - HOW CAN I TAKE ON BT WHEN BT INVESTED BILLIONS ?

Answer those without PR spin and we can have a meaningful debate. I'M NOT A PR PERSON

PS, YOU'D COME ACROSS A LOT BETTER IF HALF OF YOUR POSTS DIDN'T HARP ON ABOUT BT'S BOSSES PAY. THAT IS A MATTER FOR THEIR SHAREHOLDERS - IF YOU'RE NOT ONE, THEN FRANKLY THAT IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS.

Since the amount of control Shareholders have over this company is in doubt the amount the BT Execs are paid is partly relevant to this debate.

How about some facts, instead of more spin & rhetoric?
Old 12-08-2008, 14:24   #13783
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Florence

This is not superstition this has been proved the domain names have jumped from IP to IP on more than one occasion.
Could you explain why webwise.bt.com was hosted in America for a while at planet?

Quote:
This has been posted on a forum so I presume they had proof of this at some time has Phorm ever used an add server in China?

Quote:
Then you have to agree that Phorm on the ISP exchange is nothing like Google?
Since I can choose with Google to join and login or not plus visit other websites without Google monitoring me.

Quote:
Think you accidently dropped the answer down here Hammy to the one below. Many small ISPs take on BT and win them on Tech support, amount of monthly caps so add this your fantastic security you would be on a winner unless there is something missing.

Quote:
What an interesting answer so if a customer doesn't opt-in there browsing will still be intercepted?

Quote:
Possibly not but the answers that have been posted all over the Internet for months have been nothing more than copy and paste from some PR information never answered the questions asked.

Quote:
Must be your bad day as perhaps you haven't read all my posts I am one of the unfortunate shareholders that BT felt implementing Phorm by stealth even not informing shareholders about it.
Old 12-08-2008, 14:24   #13784
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Quote:
I think you'll find she is, and you look silly.

Old 12-08-2008, 14:32   #13785
HamsterWheel
cf.addict

[QUOTE=SelfProtection;34619794]Since the amount of control Shareholders have over this company is in doubt the amount the BT Execs are paid is partly relevant to this debate.

QUOTE]

How is it in doubt ? They've just had their AGM where all the resolutions were passed with at least 90% support. A tiny 3% of voters voted against adopting the remuneration committee's report. 92% were in favour.
If Florence is a BT shareholder, she is in a tiny minority who don't agree with the bosses pay. If she doesn't like it, she can always sell her shares.
Closed Thread