Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Merged:-Comcast makes Bid for Sky

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

Merged:-Comcast makes Bid for Sky

Old 02-01-2013, 11:20   #1606
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future
Re: General Sky TV Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Some might call it value but HD now should be seen as standard and not as some extra add on charge.
I agree,HD should now be the norm not a premium. Sky in particular have made alot of money already out of charging an aditional fee to watch HD channels. And lets not forget it wasn`t that long ago they charged it per box not per subscription! At the end of the day though they will keep charging it for as long as people(like me)keep on paying it. It would be nice if sky dropped the charge altogether or at least reduced it say by half.
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2013, 21:26   #1607
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Far from it. See table 2.17 here.

Also, only 59% of HD-ready TV owners have an HD source available.
(Source: table 86 here)
Thanks for the link, table 2.17 is very interesting but unless I'm missing something obvious, the reason 60% of people upgrade is because they want the latest technology. HD is the latest in TV tech in my eyes.

As for 59% of people not having a HD source available. That figure does seem really high and I guess it's due to uneducated consumers and over eagar salesmen. I hear the phrase "this TV will make everything you watch HD" quite a lot in Currys etc.

Quote:
But the thing is MM nearly everything is done in HD now so why should people have to pay a extra premium to get access to it.
Do you still complain about paying a £100 per year premium to watch colour TV?

You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast. This includes the use of devices such as a computer, laptop, mobile phone or DVD/video recorder.
It costs £145.50 for colour and £49.00 for a black and white TV Licence.

Taken from: http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/
Doz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 21:30   #1608
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doz007 View Post
Thanks for the link, table 2.17 is very interesting but unless I'm missing something obvious, the reason 60% of people upgrade is because they want the latest technology. HD is the latest in TV tech in my eyes.

As for 59% of people not having a HD source available. That figure does seem really high and I guess it's due to uneducated consumers and over eagar salesmen. I hear the phrase "this TV will make everything you watch HD" quite a lot in Currys etc.

Do you still complain about paying a £100 per year premium to watch colour TV?

You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast. This includes the use of devices such as a computer, laptop, mobile phone or DVD/video recorder.
It costs £145.50 for colour and £49.00 for a black and white TV Licence.

Taken from: http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/
Indeed in my opinion the TV Licence should have been abolished a long time ago and the BBC should have to survive in the commercial world just like anybody else.
Old 02-01-2013, 21:33   #1609
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

Quote:
Indeed in my opinion the TV Licence should have been abolished a long time ago and the BBC should have to survive in the commercial world just like anybody else.
Will never happen thou. BBC will never have ads and unless the government pay them then we are stuck with the TV Licence sadly
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 21:34   #1610
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Whilst I agree with you Den, that's another debate entirely.

My point was the £100 per year premium for watching TV in colour. Colour is the 100% industry standard today but yet still demands a premium - why do you think HD shouldn't do the same?
Doz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 21:40   #1611
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doz007 View Post
Whilst I agree with you Den, that's another debate entirely.

My point was the £100 per year premium for watching TV in colour. Colour is the 100% industry standard today but yet still demands a premium - why do you think HD shouldn't do the same?
good point. Can't remember last time i saw a black and white tv...at least one built for that purpose
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 23:39   #1612
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

well that's me 100% sky ,dumped BT i have just upgraded my package to
Sky talk =free+ 14.50 line rental
entertainment extra 26.50
Sky BB unlimited (only get 4-6mg)
one multiroom box £10 per month

cost of package 58.50+vat

saving me about 30-40 £'s per month and i'm getting exactly the same BB as i got from BT
Old 03-01-2013, 11:08   #1613
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

Channel 376 has been renamed to Chart Show Dance. EPG shows it CS Dance. The channel was named Dance Nation
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 16:19   #1614
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
well that's me 100% sky ,dumped BT i have just upgraded my package to
Sky talk =free+ 14.50 line rental
entertainment extra 26.50
Sky BB unlimited (only get 4-6mg)
one multiroom box £10 per month

cost of package 58.50+vat

saving me about 30-40 £'s per month and i'm getting exactly the same BB as i got from BT
You have gone the same way as me with the only difference being skyfibre unlimited is available here.

Once it becomes available in your area and you upgrade, you won't know yourself.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 16:26   #1615
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher View Post
You have gone the same way as me with the only difference being skyfibre unlimited is available here.

Once it becomes available in your area and you upgrade, you won't know yourself.
I thought it was ridiculous waiting for BT to upgrade my area .It has been put back 3 times so i thought if the best i can get is 4-5 meg then i will not continue paying BT's premium price (£26p/m i think it was)when i can get the same connection speed from sky for £7.50 .
BT tried to match the deal for £40 p/m using their tv service which requires at least 2meg of the connection speed to work so playing games for the lads will be a no no .Seems pointless even offering it in low speed areas
Old 03-01-2013, 16:31   #1616
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
I thought it was ridiculous waiting for BT to upgrade my area .It has been put back 3 times so i thought if the best i can get is 4-5 meg then i will not continue paying BT's premium price (£26p/m i think it was)when i can get the same connection speed from sky for £7.50 .
BT tried to match the deal for £40 p/m using their tv service which requires at least 2meg of the connection speed to work so playing games for the lads will be a no no .Seems pointless even offering it in low speed areas
I think BT suck, I want nothing to do with them.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 16:37   #1617
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher View Post
I think BT suck, I want nothing to do with them.
My only gripe now is that i still have pay BT for the line rental
Old 03-01-2013, 16:39   #1618
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
My only gripe now is that i still have pay BT for the line rental
Why , Sky have their own line rental , is your BB on Sky Connect or on Sky LLU network ?
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 16:40   #1619
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Why , Sky have their own line rental.
I know but doesn't that go to BT because bt own the lines ?
Old 03-01-2013, 16:46   #1620
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I know but doesn't that go to BT because bt own the lines ?
I have Sky line rental and Sky BB , if I had a line fault Sky deal with me over the phone and send out an Openreach (Part of BT) engineer to check it out.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote