Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Finally got Sky!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Finally got Sky!

Old 13-12-2007, 23:54   #16
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Finally got Sky!

You didn't have microfilters for everything?

Must make sure that every device plugged into a phone socket (router, phones, Sky box, etc.) is plugged in via a microfilter.

Yep, your attenuation is nice & low. Low enough that you could potentially get 16mbps (subject to noise margin etc.). However: Some people on Sky BB Max do find they get capped at 8mbps, usually 'cos of their line.

More here on attenuation, noise margin, etc. -

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/route...explained.html

I'd recommend replacing the faceplate on your master socket with one of these:

http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php

Then either plug the router directly into the unfiltered ADSL socket on it, or run a dedicated unfiltered extension from it for the router.

You could then also run filtered extensions from the XTE-2005 to feed the phones, removing the need for separate dangly microfilters everywhere.

You're probably on Sky's G.DMT, rather than ADSL2+, & so on Interleave rather than Fast Path (can check this via the detailed stats mentioned in an earlier link I posted, so long as you have the original Netgear DG834GT Sky router & not the new model). This can increase your pings.

Some people find they can get Sky tech support (Tier 3) to switch them to ADSL2+ & Fast Path, but others have no luck with it.

An alternate is to ask for the interleaving max delays to be reduced. This can affect stability though.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-12-2007, 01:57   #17
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Sky BB Mid has a 448kbps upload AFAIK, & is LLU...

It's only Sky BB Max which has 768kbps upload.
Ok thanks for correction I thought mid also had 768 up.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2007, 06:57   #18
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

If you connected without filters on some items first time round you may have been slightly capped to stabilise your line. If the speed doesn't improve ring Sky T1 and tell them what happened and ask for a ticket to be raised for speed and config so that CST can remove or reset your cap if it is in place.
As above though there is no "training" period of Sky BB only on Connect as that is based on BT equipment.
If you cannot get through to Sky CST due to incompetent T1 staff (I would put the ticket in no problem lol) then you can use the slightly slower route (3-4 days till a response) of
https://mysky.sky.com/portal/site/skycom/kana
Select "I am having technical difficulties" and then explain what happened in the info box and ask for your config to be checked.
I had to do this after my line was capped incorrectly by a prat on CST but once I made contact with them they were happy to put the cap back onto a stable 10Mb for me. I don't need a massive speed just a stable connection
Oh and if you are going to have the router away from the master socket make sure you run a good quality ADSL telephone cable from the socket to the router and do not run a standard telephone extension as it can be more trouble than it's worth. I would also recommend an ADSL pre-filtered face plate as above as it removes all other filters from the line and can help a lot with line noise issues.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2007, 08:26   #19
southwell
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Virgin Phone + 50mb
southwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation era

Pings arn't brilliant on Sky, i get around 13mb dl speed and average about 30-40ms. But tbh this is not high enough to ruin the gaming experience.
southwell is offline   Reply With Quote