Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Windows 10 Desktop WiFi

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Windows 10 Desktop WiFi

Old 27-12-2018, 12:32   #31
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Windows 10 Desktop WiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker17 View Post
Bravo and thank you.

The connection between my PC and printer is wireless not cabled.
No your connection is part wireless and part cabled.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-12-2018, 12:45   #32
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

Services: Virgin Media Tivo Kahuna Big Bundle, phone and Broadband.
beaker17 has a spectacular aura about thembeaker17 has a spectacular aura about thembeaker17 has a spectacular aura about thembeaker17 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcimedes View Post
No your connection is part wireless and part cabled.
Sorry but YES, I agree and that is what I have been trying to explain all along. I have both an Ethernet and wireless arrangement.

Some on here appear to have completely missed that point and have resorted to rude remarks.

The Ethernet connection to my PC is irrelevant to my printer in a direct sense, the printer is connected through the wireless capabilities of my PC.

Last edited by beaker17; 27-12-2018 at 13:21.
beaker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 13:25   #33
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Sorry but YES, I agree and that is what I have been trying to explain all along. I have both an Ethernet and wireless arrangement.

Some on here appear to have completely missed that point and have resorted to rude remarks.

The Ethernet connection to my PC is irrelevant to my printer in a direct sense, the printer is connected through the wireless capabilities of my PC.
Again you are wrong. Disable your wireless adapter on your PC and you will still be able to print exactly as you do now via your ethernet connection.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 13:29   #34
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

beaker17 has a spectacular aura about thembeaker17 has a spectacular aura about thembeaker17 has a spectacular aura about thembeaker17 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Again you are wrong. Disable your wireless adapter on your PC and you will still be able to print exactly as you do now via your ethernet connection.
While it does no harm - If it works, don't fix it.
We are still talking about the part of my system that is wireless.

I may hopefully go entirely WiFi, so the wireless adaptor will already be waiting.

Last edited by beaker17; 27-12-2018 at 13:44.
Old 27-12-2018, 15:49   #35
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
the printer is connected through the wireless capabilities of my PC.
No it's not. I have explained at length giving numerous examples how tmit works and if you want to play dumb that is up to you. I am not participating any more.

If my explanations did not provide enough detail consult the global networking gods and read this:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en_uk/soluti...witch-how.html
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 15:59   #36
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
No it's not. I have explained at length giving numerous examples how tmit works and if you want to play dumb that is up to you. I am not participating any more.

If my explanations did not provide enough detail consult the global networking gods and read this:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en_uk/soluti...witch-how.html
Auf Wiedersehen General and thanks.
Old 27-12-2018, 16:04   #37
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

It’s like trying to explain chemistry to a wombat...

The cable to from the router doesn’t transmit a wireless signal, as it’s a wire (wireless - no wire required). - the data to be printed is transmitted by a wired connection (the Ethernet cable) from the PC to the VM router, and then the data is transmitted by wifi (wireless, no wires/cables involved) from the router to the printer, then printed.

To prove this, unplug the Ethernet cable that runs between the router and your all in one pc from the back of the PC (leaving the cable in the router and the router powered up), and you will find that you cannot print as you have removed the network link between the router and the all in one PC.

I’m now at the point where I think you’re trolling...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 16:25   #38
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

How insulting to infer I am trolling.

I am trying without an atom of success to explain that my wireless enabled PC acts as a sub-station and the router as the transmitting station. But nobody appears to understand a word of it. I am obviously not the wombat, it is others.

Of course if you cut the cable from the transmitter there will be no reception.
Likewise if you shut down the sub-station (PC) the printer will not work.

It is the PC that connects with the printer NOT the router.
And the same principle is present with a WiFi circuit.

Last edited by beaker17; 27-12-2018 at 16:36.
Old 27-12-2018, 16:30   #39
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

That's not correct. The router is normally the thing that coordinates everything talking to each other, much like a telephone exchange would.

In your setup, the printer will continue to work as long as the router is on. For instance you could print from a phone or tablet connected to the router when the PC is off.

Last edited by BenMcr; 27-12-2018 at 16:33.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 17:45   #40
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

I give up in sheer frustration, the wombat is now retiring from this palace of confusion.

My thanks to everybody for an interesting and in my case a partially fruitful discussion. And may I add that the Cable Forum is a superb place for resolving problems. That is meant sincerely and not sarcastically.

I wish you all a Happy New Year.

---------- Post added at 16:45 ---------- Previous post was at 15:48 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
That's not correct. The router is normally the thing that coordinates everything talking to each other, much like a telephone exchange would.

In your setup, the printer will continue to work as long as the router is on. For instance you could print from a phone or tablet connected to the router when the PC is off.
My parting gift to Ben.

Sorry Ben, but the router means nothing if the PC, tablet, phone or bull horn is missing. It is the router signal picked up by the control device that gives the router/ printer its instructions not the router.

The TV transmitting station is operating 24/7 but if your own TV is switched off it makes no difference.

Last edited by beaker17; 27-12-2018 at 17:58.
Old 27-12-2018, 17:55   #41
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
It is the router signal picked up by the device that gives the printer its instructions not the router
Where do you think the router signal comes from, if not the router?

https://www.explainthatstuff.com/wirelessinternet.html

Quote:
Wi-Fi

If you have wireless Internet access at home, you probably have a little box called a router that plugs into your telephone socket. This kind of router is a bit like a sophisticated modem: it's a standalone computer whose job is to relay connections to and from the Internet. At home, you might use a router to connect several computers to the Internet at once (saving on the need for several separate modems). In other words, the router does two jobs: it creates a wireless computer network, linking all your computers together, and it also gives all your machines a shared gateway to the Internet.

You can connect a router to all your different computers using ordinary network-connecting cables (for the technically minded, these are called RJ-45, Cat 5, or Ethernet cables). This creates what's called a LAN (local area network) linking the machines together. A computer network is a very orderly affair, more like an organized committee meeting, with carefully agreed rules of behavior, than a free-for-all cocktail party. The machines on the network have to be hooked up in a standard way and they communicate in a very orderly fashion. The rules that govern the network setup and the communication are based on an international standard called Ethernet (also known as IEEE 802.3).

A wireless router is simply a router that connects to your computer (or computers) using radio waves instead of cables. It contains a very low-power radio transmitter and receiver, with a maximum range of about 90 meters or 300 ft, depending on what your walls are made of and what other electrical equipment is nearby. The router can send and receive Internet data to any computer in your home that is also equipped with wireless access (so each computer on the wireless network has to have a radio transmitter and receiver in it too).
What would I know, with only 38 years experience in IT...

(And 6 years before that in the RAF in Telecommunications)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 27-12-2018 at 18:03.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 18:19   #42
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps this makes sense

PC wants to print a file. There are two ways to do it.

1. Connect the printer to the PC directly (if the printer allows it)

2. If not then you need some sort of intermediary to sit between the PC and the printer. Normally this would a router.

3. One thing that does occur to be is can the wifi card in the PC be configured to route all traffic to the printer avoiding the router. I cant think of a way.

I started earily than hew back in the 80s first with X25 and then IP
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 19:57   #43
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all

Maybe a diagram will help....
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 8F2EA4C0-4825-458E-A2CA-FA550BAB8ABE.jpeg (179.1 KB, 13 views)
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 20:08   #44
jem
Inactive

Services: Broadband only (Vivid 300)
jem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quads

Well this thread escalated fairly quickly didn't it?

It's a pity nobody asked 'beaker17' what printer he had or if he had direct print (or similar) switched on (probably yes) because in that case it might well create an ad-hoc wifi network and start broadcasting discovery frames which a PC with the proper software installed will find and connect to - over wifi while Windows will quite happily tell you that the wifi is 'Not Connected' because it is looking for an infrastructure-type setup, ie a proper IP address, gateway etc. So it's perfectly possible that his PC is connected 'wirelessly' directly to his printer, completely ignoring the SuperHub and all the while Windows claiming that the wifi is not connected.

Anyhow, back to his original question, can you have wifi and cabled ethernet (although on some levels you can argue that wifi transmissions are a form of ethernet as well) connected at the same time? And the answer is an unequivocal 'YES'. And I know because it drives me nuts with some of my clients who have laptops plugged into docking stations (we'll actually port replicators) and they get two IP addresses (and I hate waste) and it's always a bit vague as to which interface traffic will flow through.

This was actually addressed back in post 13 where it was pointed out that PCs, printers, tablets etc. never, ever have an IP address, it's the network interface which has the address and if you have more than one network interface they can both be connected and both can have their own IP address (and as long as the MAC addresses are different) there won't be any issues at all - no bridging loops etc. It's not ideal from a traffic management point of view, but in a home setup, who cares?

Now it is possible that some PC chipsets 'might' detect two connections to the same subnet and choose one to shutdown but this isn't normal or standard, in fact i'm posting this from an iMac with both wifi and ethernet connected and operational with IP addresses of 172.22.57.150 and 151 (I reserve them in DHCP) and I leave it to sort out which route to take outbound.
Old 27-12-2018, 20:14   #45
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
It is the PC that connects with the printer NOT the router.
you are an absolute dick. How many times have we told you that is not the case, explaining why and you keep coming back and saying the same thing over and over again. If you don't believe us or don't understand go and do some googling and read up on networks. Only a 3 year old would keep saying the same thing over and over again without using some initiative and trying to find out more if they disagree.

If you buy this book I promise you'll learn everything you need to know about networks and how they work. I can't recommend it enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem View Post
Now it is possible that some PC chipsets 'might' detect two connections to the same subnet and choose one to shutdown but this isn't normal or standard,
on my laptop when I sit down at my desk and connect the cable windows automatically drops the wireless connection in favour of the wired connection.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote