Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The future of TV, broadcasting and media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

The future of TV, broadcasting and media
Closed Thread

Old 21-12-2018, 19:22   #1
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
The future of TV, broadcasting and media

This thread is for posts about what is being reported on the future of TV, broadcasting and the media by experts and commentators in the know.

I found this item, which I thought I would share with you. The particular points that interested me about developments for 2019 and beyond were:

1. Many more streaming services will be launched in 2019.

2. A question mark remains over whether Disney will partner with pay tv providers and bundle Disney+ into their offers.

3. 5G will impact the media industry and will pose both an opportunity and a threat for IPTV, cable and satellite providsrs, in ways not yet foreseen, particularly post 2019. However, one thing we do know is that video quality will improve with 5G.

4. There is an acknowledgement that there is only room for a limited number of SVOD services.

5. There will be a mix of ad-supported and subscription streaming models.

6. AI will see continued advancement and deployments, with near real time sub-titling benefiting from this. It will also become a key tool in identifying content.

7. Cloud technology will be used in ever more creative ways to engage viewers for longer.

8. Super-aggregation of OTT apps and SVOD services will result from increasing fragmentation of content. A number of pay tv providers (and this includes Liberty Global, by the way) see themselves as super-aggregators (which I believe means that we should be getting Prime very soon).

It's an interesting read and some will find other interesting points to bring out of this.

http://www.csimagazine.com/csi/2019-...redictions.php
Advertisement
Old 22-12-2018, 00:48   #2
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era
Re: The future of TV, broadcasting and media

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
This thread is for posts about what is being reported on the future of TV, broadcasting and the media by experts and commentators in the know.

I found this item, which I thought I would share with you. The particular points that interested me about developments for 2019 and beyond were:

1. Many more streaming services will be launched in 2019.

2. A question mark remains over whether Disney will partner with pay tv providers and bundle Disney+ into their offers.

3. 5G will impact the media industry and will pose both an opportunity and a threat for IPTV, cable and satellite providsrs, in ways not yet foreseen, particularly post 2019. However, one thing we do know is that video quality will improve with 5G.

4. There is an acknowledgement that there is only room for a limited number of SVOD services.

5. There will be a mix of ad-supported and subscription streaming models.

6. AI will see continued advancement and deployments, with near real time sub-titling benefiting from this. It will also become a key tool in identifying content.

7. Cloud technology will be used in ever more creative ways to engage viewers for longer.

8. Super-aggregation of OTT apps and SVOD services will result from increasing fragmentation of content. A number of pay tv providers (and this includes Liberty Global, by the way) see themselves as super-aggregators (which I believe means that we should be getting Prime very soon).

It's an interesting read and some will find other interesting points to bring out of this.

http://www.csimagazine.com/csi/2019-...redictions.php
Really, what a load of b******* - give us some facts to back your statements (😉Some of which seem to contradict themselves) please.

Yet another the world apart fro streaming is doomed post!
Old 22-12-2018, 01:13   #3
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Really, what a load of b******* - give us some facts to back your statements (😉Some of which seem to contradict themselves) please.

Not my words, Raider. I am merely drawing your attention to an article.

What exactly is rattling your cage?
Old 22-12-2018, 11:58   #4
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

If we're all.going to be streaming everything all the time, several streams a house, I can forsee some technical difficulties.... Broadcast TV and recordings are far more reliable and will be for some time.
Old 22-12-2018, 12:39   #5
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
If we're all.going to be streaming everything all the time, several streams a house, I can forsee some technical difficulties.... Broadcast TV and recordings are far more reliable and will be for some time.
Nothing like a post full of reality rather then one full of fantasy predictions which never come true..
Old 22-12-2018, 13:34   #6
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post

Out the wrong side of bed did we? As OB said, he posted a link to an article, but maybe you missed that....
Old 22-12-2018, 13:52   #7
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Out the wrong side of bed did we? As OB said, he posted a link to an article, but maybe you missed that....
That's right, Max. I'm not sure where Raider sees contradictions. Perhaps we could help him with that if he could tell us what they were.

Of course, he's not the only one on these forums who likes to discredit predictions such as these without giving any logical explanation for their views. I think they just want things to stay the same - some see safety in that. However, change is going on all the time and it is difficult for me to understand why this just seems to pass some people by.

I think the future for developments in this area is very exciting, and I would have thought that contributors to this forum, who clearly have an interest in media issues, would have been of like mind. Seems that isn't the case.
Old 22-12-2018, 16:46   #8
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Disney's Kevin Mayer is suggesting that Disney + will be the exclusive home of all Disney content when it is fully established. That appears to answer the question posed about whether Disney would still grant access to their programmes on channels such as Sky.

Interesting also that he is setting his sights on providing a sports option to add to its general entertainment and children's options on its site. No doubt, Disney will be learning from the experience of Eleven Sports in the UK. I see battles with Sky Television looming large here.

http://www.nscreenmedia.com/disney-anchor-tenancy/

“We would like to have an international trilogy of services where it makes sense. We want a sports service like we have here; we want a general entertainment service, which would be Hulu, in different places around the world where we don’t have that; and we want to have Disney around the world.”
Old 22-12-2018, 18:07   #9
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Of course, he's not the only one on these forums who likes to discredit predictions such as these without giving any logical explanation for their views. I think they just want things to stay the same - some see safety in that. However, change is going on all the time and it is difficult for me to understand why this just seems to pass some people by.
Don't hide behind your petticoat OB as it does you a disservice as no one is discrediting your opinions but is merely pointing out that thus so far many of your predictions for Linear TV and doomsayer forebodings for it are not working out as you predicted.

---------- Post added at 17:07 ---------- Previous post was at 17:05 ----------

Quote:
Disney's Kevin Mayer is suggesting that Disney + will be the exclusive home of all Disney content when it is fully established. That appears to answer the question posed about whether Disney would still grant access to their programmes on channels such as Sky.

Interesting also that he is setting his sights on providing a sports option to add to its general entertainment and children's options on its site. No doubt, Disney will be learning from the experience of Eleven Sports in the UK. I see battles with Sky Television looming large here.

http://www.nscreenmedia.com/disney-anchor-tenancy/

“We would like to have an international trilogy of services where it makes sense. We want a sports service like we have here; we want a general entertainment service, which would be Hulu, in different places around the world where we don’t have that; and we want to have Disney around the world.”
Now where have l heard that one before...
Old 22-12-2018, 18:19   #10
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Don't hide behind your petticoat OB as it does you a disservice as no one is discrediting your opinions but is merely pointing out that thus so far many of your predictions for Linear TV and doomsayer forebodings for it are not working out as you predicted.
Are you talking about those predictions for 2035, Den? The assertion you make that they are not turning out to be true makes no sense. Please explain.

By the way, it's only 2018 where I live!
Old 22-12-2018, 18:22   #11
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Den, you cannot deny that peoples viewing habits have changed, and will continue to change in the future, things move on, it's called progress, to be fair to OB, he is merely pointing out and supplying links to what the industry experts are telling us, the evidence is there, if you wish to deny it then thats up to you, but things are changing and I for one welcome it.
Old 27-12-2018, 13:01   #12
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

This appears to herald the beginning of the end for satellite tv. So although Sky describe their new internet strategy as 'complementing' their existing satellite service, the internet service will ultimately take over.

https://spacenews.com/directv-owner-...ng-satellites/
Old 27-12-2018, 13:19   #13
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I'm sure if It wasn't for regulatory issues Comcast would love to purchase VM.
Old 27-12-2018, 13:23   #14
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I'm sure if It wasn't for regulatory issues Comcast would love to purchase VM.
Indeed MM but as you have put very succinctly it ain't going to happen.
Old 27-12-2018, 16:10   #15
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
This appears to herald the beginning of the end for satellite tv. So although Sky describe their new internet strategy as 'complementing' their existing satellite service, the internet service will ultimately take over.

https://spacenews.com/directv-owner-...ng-satellites/
That’s fine in the U.K., which is geographically compact, but a very large part of the USA (especially mid-West rural areas) it is not economically feasible to lay cable for hundreds, if not thousands, of miles to reach the outlying areas.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Closed Thread