Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 12:22   #4171
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
..as can material bought on the VM Store, up to 5 devices.
Fair Point but I'd much rather have Amazon. I've said before I prefer their device limit model for streaming, unlimited devices but only two streaming at once.

5 devices is an improvement on 2 on VM Go but still may not suit a typical family of four with differing tastes in what to watch. There are now so many devices in households with smartphones, tablets, PCs, laptops and VM Boxes that I think some may find a 5 limit an issue
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2018, 12:39   #4172
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post
I agree any Amazon app appearing on VM would need to be watered down, in my opinion just Prime Video would work for VM.

Seeing as VM have only just launched VM store then it would be silly to add direct competition onto the same box. You could say buying a movie or show through Amazon is a better option if it's the same price as it can be viewed on multiple devices
It's not a problem. You already have such conflicts between Virgin Movies and Netflix. I don't favour a watered down Amazon, that is not necessary.

I want to be able to search for something on my V6 and have a good chance of locating what I'm looking for, whether on Sky, on demand, Virgin Movies, other channels on the EPG, Netflix or Amazon.
Old 09-03-2018, 16:22   #4173
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Virgin Media want to be multi-SVOD aggregator but rules out deal with Amazon.

Quote:
Tom Mockridge, CEO at Virgin Media, confirmed that the company views itself as an SVOD aggregator, although he ruled out a deal with Amazon, apparently on the grounds that they are competitive. “Amazon is a terrific business but fundamentally they are a retailer and we are a retail business.”
Quote:
The experience in Ireland is that people are still watching plenty of (traditional) television. “Customers always want news, sport and local content, which they do not get on Netflix,” Hanway said. “They are complementary, and we have not seen cannibalisation [of viewing from the rest of the bouquet].” That would suggest that overall viewing is up.
http://www.v-net.tv/2018/03/09/its-o...d-aggregators/
Old 09-03-2018, 17:02   #4174
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post

I think he's talking bollox!
Old 09-03-2018, 17:13   #4175
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I think he's talking bollox!
Any reason why you think that MM?,
Old 09-03-2018, 17:37   #4176
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Any reason why you think that MM?,
Yes, all the other evidence about how popular streaming is would seem to suggest that.
Old 09-03-2018, 17:45   #4177
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Yes, all the other evidence about how popular streaming is would seem to suggest that.
It suggest that.

Quote:
“Streaming services are complementary, and we have not seen cannibalisation [of viewing from the rest of the TV bouquet].”
Old 09-03-2018, 19:10   #4178
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

Honestly! What a perverse attitude in this world of rapidly growing SVOD streaming. Even the BBC, whom I'd have thought were more backward looking, have acknowledged that streaming will take over from traditional broadcasts within the next 15 years. This is Virgin's opportunity to get ahead of the game, but it now looks as though Sky will beat them to it. Same old, same old.

Patience is beginning to wear very thin now.
Old 09-03-2018, 19:28   #4179
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Honestly! What a perverse attitude in this world of rapidly growing SVOD streaming. Even the BBC, whom I'd have thought were more backward looking, have acknowledged that streaming will take over from traditional broadcasts within the next 15 years. This is Virgin's opportunity to get ahead of the game, but it now looks as though Sky will beat them to it. Same old, same old.

Well instead of procrastinating continuously for the last few years OB there is something called freedom of choice...
Old 09-03-2018, 20:20   #4180
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Well instead of procrastinating continuously for the last few years OB there is something called freedom of choice...
The choice I want hasn't come about yet, Den.
Old 09-03-2018, 20:39   #4181
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
The choice I want hasn't come about yet, Den.
Perhaps it never will...
Old 10-03-2018, 11:34   #4182
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:

Sorry OB, I really don't understand why you are constantly moaning about lack of Amazon video on Tivo. You have a thirty five quid stick that gets you exactly what you want.

You've previously mentioned about leaving VM, if they don't get Amazon video. So, you'd be leaving VM, because they don't have something that you've already got?
Old 10-03-2018, 12:24   #4183
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Sorry OB, I really don't understand why you are constantly moaning about lack of Amazon video on Tivo. You have a thirty five quid stick that gets you exactly what you want.

You've previously mentioned about leaving VM, if they don't get Amazon video. So, you'd be leaving VM, because they don't have something that you've already got?
I am looking at this from a number of perspectives, passingbat. From a personal perspective, yes, I can already get Amazon on other devices, but I don't want to be conducting multiple searches to locate what I am looking for. At present, if the show I'm after is on Nerflix or the BBC i-Player, a search on the V6 will locate it, but if it's on Amazon or any other streaming service, it won't. I don't want to be searching a lot of different sites to find what I'm trying to hunt out.

Secondly, once you find something on TV that you like, how do you ensure you don't forget to watch it at a later date? Well, for anything taken from the EPG channels, you simply record it. If it's on demand, the i-Player or Netflix, I can bookmark it. But for the streaming services not available on the V6, you have to put the programme on your watchlist, and each service has its own watchlist. So I don't want to be looking at lots of different lists to find the programmes I've identified.

Thirdly, from a VM business perspective, surely it makes sense to offer a whole range of good SVOD services. If the V6 was seen as an excellent streaming box, it would be extremely popular and draw more people into VM's system. The more subscribers VM gets, the more money they will have to spend on content and technology while keeping prices down. Of Sky, BT, Virgin Media, Talk Talk and the rest, VM is my preferred platform, but I do worry that it may succomb to the competition in the foreseeable future. To my mind, having a nice range of SVOD services on the V6 will stand the company in good stead and would be an even better alternative to Sky, the main player in the industry.

The way things seem to be going, Sky will beat VM to the post with Amazon and VM will have to play catch up - again.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:47   #4184
denphone
Still alive and fighting

l doubt whether Sky will get Amazon OB..
Old 10-03-2018, 13:40   #4185
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
I am looking at this from a number of perspectives, passingbat. From a personal perspective, yes, I can already get Amazon on other devices, but I don't want to be conducting multiple searches to locate what I am looking for. At present, if the show I'm after is on Nerflix or the BBC i-Player, a search on the V6 will locate it, but if it's on Amazon or any other streaming service, it won't. I don't want to be searching a lot of different sites to find what I'm trying to hunt out.

Secondly, once you find something on TV that you like, how do you ensure you don't forget to watch it at a later date? Well, for anything taken from the EPG channels, you simply record it. If it's on demand, the i-Player or Netflix, I can bookmark it. But for the streaming services not available on the V6, you have to put the programme on your watchlist, and each service has its own watchlist. So I don't want to be looking at lots of different lists to find the programmes I've identified.

Thirdly, from a VM business perspective, surely it makes sense to offer a whole range of good SVOD services. If the V6 was seen as an excellent streaming box, it would be extremely popular and draw more people into VM's system. The more subscribers VM gets, the more money they will have to spend on content and technology while keeping prices down. Of Sky, BT, Virgin Media, Talk Talk and the rest, VM is my preferred platform, but I do worry that it may succomb to the competition in the foreseeable future. To my mind, having a nice range of SVOD services on the V6 will stand the company in good stead and would be an even better alternative to Sky, the main player in the industry.

The way things seem to be going, Sky will beat VM to the post with Amazon and VM will have to play catch up - again.

Nothing there that is even a minor issue for me at all, but if it upsets you so much, being that you now have a definitive answer re Amazon, I guess the path ahead for you is to leave VM.

I suspect you will never find a supplier that meets all your requirements though.
Closed Thread