Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 17:40   #4156
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

So Sky is planning to catch up with Virgin by adding integrated Netflix. Virgin have had that for quite some time. OK, they're going to be offering bundle prices, Which VM don't do. That can only be judged advantage/disadvantage wise when the bundle prices are known.
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2018, 18:00   #4157
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
What will VM have to offer to counter it? Same,old, same old unless they also embrace it.
They will embrace it, too, pip. After all, the number of traditional channels will start the big decline in a few years.

VM have been one of the leaders in this thinking but tend to make slow progress, and Sky have now caught up. So Virgin need to get tons more apps, including Amazon, double quick to avoid getting left behind.

---------- Post added at 17:00 ---------- Previous post was at 16:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
So Sky is planning to catch up with Virgin by adding integrated Netflix. Virgin have had that for quite some time. OK, they're going to be offering bundle prices, Which VM don't do. That can only be judged advantage/disadvantage wise when the bundle prices are known.
I wouldn't be surprised if Sky, Virgin Media and BT all offered bundles including streaming services from Netflix, Amazon and other subscription streaming services in time, PB. It makes perfect sense.
Old 01-03-2018, 19:11   #4158
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Sky have now caught up
No they haven't. According to the press release, Netflix will launch on Sky "in the coming year". Meanwhile VM have 3 million Netflix-enabled customers right now.
Old 01-03-2018, 19:16   #4159
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

The potential demise of Virgin Media has been greatly exaggerated...
Old 01-03-2018, 20:11   #4160
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
No they haven't. According to the press release, Netflix will launch on Sky "in the coming year". Meanwhile VM have 3 million Netflix-enabled customers right now.
Well, true, let's say they are almost there. It doesn't take away from the point that they need to get Amazon to keep ahead of the game.
Old 01-03-2018, 20:20   #4161
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Well, true, let's say they are almost there. It doesn't take away from the point that they need to get Amazon to keep ahead of the game.
They will get what they believe is right for the future for Virgin Media.
Old 01-03-2018, 20:48   #4162
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
They will get what they believe is right for the future for Virgin Media.
Let's hope they do, those of us with an interest in seeing VM survive into the coming decades.
Old 01-03-2018, 20:51   #4163
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Let's hope they do, those of us with an interest in seeing VM survive into the coming decades.
Any reason why they won't survive?.
Old 01-03-2018, 21:14   #4164
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Any reason why they won't survive?.
If they do not keep up, they will not survive. I am not staying with them if they fall behind, and nor will many others just stay put regardless of developments elsewhere.

I've already ditched my Sky Cinema channels with Virgin because I watch films on demand, and many from Sky are only in SD. I use Now TV for that now, and their 720p HD is better.

A big share of my regular viewing is now with Netflix, Amazon and Now TV. If Sky gets Amazon and Virgin doesn't, that will be it for me, I think. It wouldn't take a lot for me to move to Sky now, and yet just a couple of years ago, nothing would have been further from my mind.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Virgin will get Amazon, much more UHD content and more Virgin exclusives this year, which will definitely keep me as a VM subscriber, at least for the time being.

I am sure I'm not alone in saying this.
Old 01-03-2018, 21:37   #4165
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
The potential demise of Virgin Media has been greatly exaggerated...
Agreed. Anyone would have thought that VM hadn't got Netflix yet.
That being said, Netflix was the key TV offering that VM had that Sky didn't apart from some adhoc on-demand content.
Sky is remedying this but I've heard of no plans for VM to get Atlantic, unlike BT which will have it next year via Now TV. Maybe something is possible with Amazon Prime if Amazon is willing to forgo its linear channels or maybe VM will be acquired by Comcast if it doesn't win Sky.
Old 01-03-2018, 21:50   #4166
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Agreed. Anyone would have thought that VM hadn't got Netflix yet.
That being said, Netflix was the key TV offering that VM had that Sky didn't apart from some adhoc on-demand content.
Sky is remedying this but I've heard of no plans for VM to get Atlantic, unlike BT which will have it next year via Now TV. Maybe something is possible with Amazon Prime if Amazon is willing to forgo its linear channels or maybe VM will be acquired by Comcast if it doesn't win Sky.
Amazon doesn't have to forgo its linear channels if only Full House subscribers are permitted access to the video apps.
Old 01-03-2018, 22:07   #4167
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Amazon doesn't have to forgo its linear channels if only Full House subscribers are permitted access to the video apps.
But that means that some Prime customers can access the app and some can't which reduces the benefits of having the app as the development costs will be spread across fewer users.
Old 01-03-2018, 22:10   #4168
Mr Banana

Quote:
If they do not keep up, they will not survive. I am not staying with them if they fall behind, and nor will many others just stay put regardless of developments elsewhere.

I've already ditched my Sky Cinema channels with Virgin because I watch films on demand, and many from Sky are only in SD. I use Now TV for that now, and their 720p HD is better.

A big share of my regular viewing is now with Netflix, Amazon and Now TV. If Sky gets Amazon and Virgin doesn't, that will be it for me, I think. It wouldn't take a lot for me to move to Sky now, and yet just a couple of years ago, nothing would have been further from my mind.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Virgin will get Amazon, much more UHD content and more Virgin exclusives this year, which will definitely keep me as a VM subscriber, at least for the time being.

I am sure I'm not alone in saying this.
When you say get Amazon, do you mean as an app, I have VM but also a fire stick for Amazon?

Old 01-03-2018, 22:28   #4169
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
Now Amazon have added channels to the Prime app, albeit with an added subscription, i can't see VM having it.

Unless Amazon agreed to remove their channels to get on the box but i can't see that TBH.
I agree any Amazon app appearing on VM would need to be watered down, in my opinion just Prime Video would work for VM.

Seeing as VM have only just launched VM store then it would be silly to add direct competition onto the same box. You could say buying a movie or show through Amazon is a better option if it's the same price as it can be viewed on multiple devices
Old 01-03-2018, 22:37   #4170
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post
I agree any Amazon app appearing on VM would need to be watered down, in my opinion just Prime Video would work for VM.

Seeing as VM have only just launched VM store then it would be silly to add direct competition onto the same box. You could say buying a movie or show through Amazon is a better option if it's the same price as it can be viewed on multiple devices
..as can material bought on the VM Store, up to 5 devices.
Closed Thread