Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Gig1 service

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Gig1 service

Old 31-08-2020, 12:26   #1
gmudos
cf.member

Services: V6, Gig1
gmudos is on a distinguished roadgmudos is on a distinguished road
Gig1 service

Hi all,

Just signed up for Gig1 service here in Glasgow. Hub4 should arrive on Saturday for self install.

Anyone else already on this and can share feedback so far?
gmudos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-08-2020, 15:34   #2
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Re: Gig1 service

I am on this service, but I have the Hub 4 in modem only mode.

I did a self-install. It just required a call to a specified number to get your modem registered and active.

If you are using your Hub 4 in router mode there is little you have to do any different than when you used Hub 3.

Be aware that although your modem will be configured for 1.2Gb the Ethernet ports are only 1Gb, so don't expect to get over 1Gb. Allowing for overheads, you may get very slightly less, assuming you have at least CAT 5e Ethernet cables and 1Gb network cards and switches. However, if you do a speed test using Samknows real speed test you will get a true measure of broadband available, but realistically you only access all of that via multiple devices using a total of up to 1.2Gb. The WiFi is apparently capable of 1.3 Gb on the 5GHz. I cannot confirm what you might get if you have devices capable of accessing this. https://samknows.com/realspeed/

If you are using modem mode, the conversion from router mode is the same process as in Hub 3. In my experience, it took more than one attempt to get my router to pick up the connection. Be very aware that if your router has a WAN to LAN throughput of less than 1Gb then you won't get close to that speed. Most routers have a WAN to LAN throughput of less than 700Mb! Here's a list of routers with higher throughputs. https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/old-.../74-wan-to-lan My GT-AX11000 is not on the list, but it has an appropriate throughput. I max at 948Mb via ethernet. My upstream is usually 52Mb. None of my WiFi devices, even those with WiFi 6, has managed any higher than 950Mb even though the AX11000 dishes out over 1Gb WiFi.

Having said all this, my connection has been pretty reliable, but not as consistent as I used to get on the 350Mb and 500Mb services. On a few occasions I have had to reboot the modem because of sluggish speeds below 500Mb. This usually does the trick.

Last edited by roughbeast; 31-08-2020 at 16:21.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:08   #3
gmudos
cf.member

Thumbs up Re: Gig1 service

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post

I did a self-install. It just required a call to a specified number to get your modem registered and active.

If you are using your Hub 4 in router mode there is little you have to do any different than when you used Hub 3.

Be aware that although your modem will be configured for 1.2Gb the Ethernet ports are only 1Gb, so don't expect to get over 1Gb. Allowing for overheads, you may get very slightly less, assuming you have at least CAT 5e Ethernet cables and 1Gb network cards and switches. However, if you do a speed test using Samknows real speed test you will get a true measure of broadband available, but realistically you only access all of that via multiple devices using a total of up to 1.2Gb. The WiFi is apparently capable of 1.3 Gb on the 5GHz. I cannot confirm what you might get if you have devices capable of accessing this. https://samknows.com/realspeed/

If you are using modem mode, the conversion from router mode is the same process as in Hub 3. In my experience, it took more than one attempt to get my router to pick up the connection. Be very aware that if your router has a WAN to LAN throughput of less than 1Gb then you won't get close to that speed. Most routers have a WAN to LAN throughput of less than 700Mb! Here's a list of routers with higher throughputs. https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/old-.../74-wan-to-lan My GT-AX11000 is not on the list, but it has an appropriate throughput. I max at 948Mb via ethernet. My upstream is usually 52Mb. None of my WiFi devices, even those with WiFi 6, has managed any higher than 950Mb even though the AX11000 dishes out over 1Gb WiFi.

Having said all this, my connection has been pretty reliable, but not as consistent as I used to get on the 350Mb and 500Mb services. On a few occasions I have had to reboot the modem because of sluggish speeds below 500Mb. This usually does the trick.
Thanks so much for this information, very useful.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:28   #4
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmudos View Post
Thanks so much for this information, very useful.
Are you likely to be using Hub 4 in router mode or modem mode?
Old 01-09-2020, 11:36   #5
gmudos
cf.member

Quote:
Are you likely to be using Hub 4 in router mode or modem mode?
I'll be using it in Modem mode along with r8000 router and ax8 mesh extender.

Last edited by gmudos; 01-09-2020 at 11:50.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:53   #6
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmudos View Post
I'll be using it in Modem mode along with r8000 router and ax8 mesh extender.
That will do the trick. You should easily achieve over 900Mb.

I forgot to mention that with your Hub 4 in modem mode, the Samknows real speed test will not be able to detect it, so you won't be able to test your modem to WAN connection speed. It makes no difference to what down speed you will get in the real world though.
Old 01-09-2020, 13:36   #7
gmudos
cf.member

Quote:
That will do the trick. You should easily achieve over 900Mb.

I forgot to mention that with your Hub 4 in modem mode, the Samknows real speed test will not be able to detect it, so you won't be able to test your modem to WAN connection speed. It makes no difference to what down speed you will get in the real world though.
Thanks again Roughbeast
Old 01-09-2020, 23:05   #8
Harryn9000
cf.geek

Services: Virgin 500MB BB , VM V6 x2, XL tv, Xl Phone Superhub 3
Harryn9000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

ye my router is also not on there and i hit 940mb constantly through ethernet
Harryn9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 10:28   #9
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Looks like that list is pretty out of date, part of the reason devices aren't listed on it is because they haven't been tested it seems.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 11:08   #10
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Looks like that list is pretty out of date, part of the reason devices aren't listed on it is because they haven't been tested it seems.
Yes, I'm afraid so. My AX11000 and gmudos' R8000 don't appear. I expect there are others. There's no excuse for the AX11000. It's been out for over a year now.

Do you know a more reliable source for that sort of data? It is rare for WAN to LAN throughput data to be published, in commercial descriptions anyway. There's probably a reason for that!

Last edited by roughbeast; 02-09-2020 at 11:26.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:35   #11
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

I'm afraid not, I don't even know many sites that test it these days.
Old 03-09-2020, 12:56   #12
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I'm afraid not, I don't even know many sites that test it these days.
I have been checking out why SNB reviews are out-of-date. It appears that Tim, the guy who does all the testing and reviewing, has had to put that function on the back burner, since 2018. Lack of traffic, and therefore revenue, means that he can no longer run the site full time. He is now employed as a tester for a different company, so only very occasionally gets time to do full tests and reviews of the kind we are used to.

In the explanatory link below, is a link to Tim'snew company Octoscope. They sell tests beds for routers, servers and networks, but do not do router reviews. We are now at the mercy of the commercial giants unless we do our own testing and take full advantage of their returns policies.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/othe...new-door-opens

Last edited by roughbeast; 03-09-2020 at 13:12.
Old 03-09-2020, 15:21   #13
Kushan

That's such a shame, really. I guess it's just not popular enough.
Old 03-09-2020, 16:56   #14
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
That's such a shame, really. I guess it's just not popular enough.
Another reason for not getting enough revenue was that the traffic he did get consisted mostly of folk with ad blockers running. A lot of his revenue came from advertisers.
Old 04-09-2020, 10:22   #15
Kushan

That's tech enthusiasts for you.