Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Using Hitron CGNV4 and eero Mesh Router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Using Hitron CGNV4 and eero Mesh Router

Old 31-08-2020, 00:58   #1
kobikoro
cf.member

kobikoro is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Using Hitron CGNV4 and eero Mesh Router

Virgin installed the Hitron modem for me with 5 Static IP addresses. They declined from suggesting a suitable or compatible router for the Hitron. They has their reasons.

I then purchased an eero mesh router because it can be easily extended. However, I have not being able to get the two devices to work. Eero support says ask Virgin on how to assign an ip address to the eero. Virgin says no can do: get a local IT person.

I need help setting this up. I have had the virgin modem installed for 10 days with no joy
kobikoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-08-2020, 17:54   #2
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Using Hitron CGNV4 and eero Mesh Router

I'm not familiar with the router you mention, though the general principles will be similar. Firstly given you have 5 static IP addresses the Hitron will not perform NAT or offer DHCP to devices connection to it.

The default configuration for your Hitron is that the first of the usable IP addresses will be configured on it, so you need to manually configure the next IP in the range on your router as a static address on it's WAN interface. The subnet mask to use will be 255.255.255.248. You should also set the default route or next hop address (your router might use either term) to be the IP address of the Hitron.

Then you would configure your router as standard.

Let us know how you get on - the config you are trying to setup is one I use, albeit with a Draytek router.
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 20:09   #3
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Might be a stupid question but I am curious. If you have a fixed ip service and in this case 5 ips, can you have more than 3 devices on your lan? I am only asking because you mentioned the subnet mask and I don't understand why you can't have a gazillion devices on the lan and get the router to do NAT and use its one ip address.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 20:31   #4
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

You can yes - you just use your own router behind the Hitron to perform NAT, and you can have as many devices as you like. The subnet mask I mentioned in ont he WAN side of the router - ie between the Hitron & router.
Old 31-08-2020, 21:25   #5
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

gotcha
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 23:41   #6
kobikoro
cf.member

Smile Re: Using Hitron CGNV4 and eero Mesh Router

Thank you very much. Indeed you are a start. I used the second static IP address for the router and the first one for the hitron device. Subnet mask, like you stated. The LAN is up and running. Great!

My next question is: I want to run a web server and use one of the remaining static IP addresses. Do I connect the web server on the router and use the IP on the ISP server when defining my A record or do I connect directly to one of the LAN ports of the hitron??? What I am trying to say is how do i use the other IPs
Old 01-09-2020, 13:32   #7
ccarmock
cf.geek

Great to hear you got this up and running.

You can indeed use another of your fixed IP addresses for a server. How you do this will depend on the capabilities of your router. What you are looking for is the ability to add a second WAN IP address to the same interface you have connected to the Hitron. On my Draytek, for instace, this is called a WAN Alias. On a Cisco router it would be a secondary interface address. So suggest you have a look to see how / if you can achieve that with the router you have.

After that you'd than redirect the ports you need for your web server from that IP address to the internal IP address of your server. One extra thing to check is that your router can then NAT your server behind this second IP address, so that responses go back from the same address they came in on. This will help you avoid issues with remote end.

You could connect your server to another port on the Hitron directly and setup a static IP address on your server, however this does expose the server to the outside world, and you are reliant only on the limited firewall capabilities of the Hitron. So my advice is do it via NAT/PAT on your router and control the firewall rules there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobikoro View Post
My next question is: I want to run a web server and use one of the remaining static IP addresses. Do I connect the web server on the router and use the IP on the ISP server when defining my A record or do I connect directly to one of the LAN ports of the hitron??? What I am trying to say is how do i use the other IPs

Last edited by ccarmock; 01-09-2020 at 13:35.
Old 03-09-2020, 14:05   #8
kobikoro
cf.member

Thanks in advance ccarmock. I will try your instruction this weekend and give feedback.