Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus (OLD)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Coronavirus (OLD)
Closed Thread

Old 31-08-2020, 15:05   #5281
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by downquark1 View Post
Well my household including my toddler are very sick with something, fevers and chills. Will get a covid test tomorrow. I think it's just a really bad cold. Very frustrating as I only left the house for a takeaway.

Was it a Chinese.....

Last edited by Hugh; 31-08-2020 at 18:37.
Advertisement
Old 01-09-2020, 18:51   #5282
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Was it a Chinese.....
Probably a Wuhan Surprise.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:13   #5283
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

So we have just come back from two weeks in Turkey and here are some thoughts about COVID security during the journey...

Before we left, EasyJet pointed us in the direction of their website to print out and complete health declaration forms for Turkey. The forms were simple to complete. The airline also told us about cabin luggage size restrictions for flying to Turkey. Not quite sure why you can only take small hand luggage but it made the flight a lot easier when boarding and leaving the plane!

At Gatwick, almost everyone wore masks, only removing them when in retaurants/bars.

On the flight out, the mask compliance wasn’t great with lots of people not wearing them or wearing them under their noses or under chins. The cabin crew repeatedly reminded people to wear masks and finally the Captain got on the PA and said we would divert if people refused to wear masks!

On arrival at Antalya, the mask compliance was excellent. Everyone got temperature scanned using a camera on the way to passport control. Our taxi driver for the transfer was masked for the while journey too and there was hand sanitiser in the taxi along with guidelines for COVID protection (nothing new but a good reminder)

The hotel was excellent. All the staff wore masks even when working outside in 35°C heat. All guests were asked to wear masks in the lifts and interestingly, Turkish guests were asked to wear masks throughout when indoors (signs only in Turkish, not in English, German or Russian) There was sanitiser everywhere, non stop cleaning of surfaces and we were temperature scanned before entering the restaurant. Normally the restaurant should have a buffet service but this was adapted with big shields up and the staff served you so you ended up with a lot of plates!

We ventured out a couple of nights to the local town and though the rules say you should wear masks indoors and out, outdoor mask compliance was low. We wore masks simply because, as tourists, we are probably more likely to be fined �� When you sit down at a restaurant, the waiters bought hand sanitiser first before passing out menus.

The journey back was much like the journey there. We completed the online form for entry to the UK which is terribly designed. I can complete one form for me and my kids but not for my wife so she had to do a separate declaration. It also asked you for your home address but then asked where you would be staying a few pages down the line with no option to say ‘at home’ but we got there in the end.

Mask compliance was much better on the flight back interestingly with easily 90% of people wearing masks. I’m sure the demographics would be similar each way so maybe people got institutionalised in Turkey on mask wearing. Maybe sanitiser wipes on the plane would have been nice must possibly fire regulations prevent this.

On arrival in the UK, there were no checks of the forms sent to you by email (there are QR codes on the pdfs you are sent) Maybe there is a link between your passport scan and the forms but that seems very joined up for a UK government IT project.

All in all I felt that the COVID security in Turkey was equal to or slightly more comprehensive than the UK
Old 02-09-2020, 14:08   #5284
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

I really don't know how you could be bothered going on a holiday and having to go through all that rigmarole mate, unless of course, this was a pre-booked holiday from a while back, thanks for your post, was interesting to see how other countries are operating,we go to Kalkan in Turkey which isn't too far from Antalya, but due to this virus decided not to go this year.
Old 02-09-2020, 17:45   #5285
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
I really don't know how you could be bothered going on a holiday and having to go through all that rigmarole mate, unless of course, this was a pre-booked holiday from a while back, thanks for your post, was interesting to see how other countries are operating,we go to Kalkan in Turkey which isn't too far from Antalya, but due to this virus decided not to go this year.
Our holiday was booked last November so we thought we might as well go rather than lose money cancelling. Our plan B if the holiday company cancelled for us was to keep the refund aside and double up the budget for next year. It as a close run thing with our flights and hotel being changed the week before we left!

I am glad we went as I needed a break due to the last few months being the busiest I have ever been at work (I know that's no compensation for people who have lost their jobs but there you go) Always knew there might be a risk of the air corridor closing but the current infection rate in Turkey is quite a bit lower than the UK right now
Old 02-09-2020, 20:35   #5286
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Well I’m due to go to Portugal in October, and I’m going - regardless.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:15   #5287
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote from The Sun:
A Labour-led council is under fire for an online post urging people to treat coronavirus “like your mother-in-law”.

Stockport council posted the message on Facebook to encourage people to social distance during the pandemic.

It read: “The trick to social distancing is acting like your mother-in-law’s around every corner!”

The council has now removed the offending post and apologised for “any upset caused”.
Stereotypes, don't you just love 'em.
Old 03-09-2020, 12:25   #5288
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
So we have just come back from two weeks in Turkey and here are some thoughts about COVID security during the journey...

Before we left, EasyJet pointed us in the direction of their website to print out and complete health declaration forms for Turkey. The forms were simple to complete. The airline also told us about cabin luggage size restrictions for flying to Turkey. Not quite sure why you can only take small hand luggage but it made the flight a lot easier when boarding and leaving the plane!

At Gatwick, almost everyone wore masks, only removing them when in retaurants/bars.

On the flight out, the mask compliance wasn’t great with lots of people not wearing them or wearing them under their noses or under chins. The cabin crew repeatedly reminded people to wear masks and finally the Captain got on the PA and said we would divert if people refused to wear masks!

On arrival at Antalya, the mask compliance was excellent. Everyone got temperature scanned using a camera on the way to passport control. Our taxi driver for the transfer was masked for the while journey too and there was hand sanitiser in the taxi along with guidelines for COVID protection (nothing new but a good reminder)

The hotel was excellent. All the staff wore masks even when working outside in 35°C heat. All guests were asked to wear masks in the lifts and interestingly, Turkish guests were asked to wear masks throughout when indoors (signs only in Turkish, not in English, German or Russian) There was sanitiser everywhere, non stop cleaning of surfaces and we were temperature scanned before entering the restaurant. Normally the restaurant should have a buffet service but this was adapted with big shields up and the staff served you so you ended up with a lot of plates!

We ventured out a couple of nights to the local town and though the rules say you should wear masks indoors and out, outdoor mask compliance was low. We wore masks simply because, as tourists, we are probably more likely to be fined �� When you sit down at a restaurant, the waiters bought hand sanitiser first before passing out menus.

The journey back was much like the journey there. We completed the online form for entry to the UK which is terribly designed. I can complete one form for me and my kids but not for my wife so she had to do a separate declaration. It also asked you for your home address but then asked where you would be staying a few pages down the line with no option to say ‘at home’ but we got there in the end.

Mask compliance was much better on the flight back interestingly with easily 90% of people wearing masks. I’m sure the demographics would be similar each way so maybe people got institutionalised in Turkey on mask wearing. Maybe sanitiser wipes on the plane would have been nice must possibly fire regulations prevent this.

On arrival in the UK, there were no checks of the forms sent to you by email (there are QR codes on the pdfs you are sent) Maybe there is a link between your passport scan and the forms but that seems very joined up for a UK government IT project.

All in all I felt that the COVID security in Turkey was equal to or slightly more comprehensive than the UK

Excellent information thank you. SWMBO & I are due to fly out on Saturday to nr Alanya (Flying into Antalya)

A few if questions if possible?

1) Did you partake in the insurance available at airports to cover medical or quarantine bills?

2) How do they deal with luggage collection? Antalya (like most airports) it's normally a huge crowd around the baggage belt

3) Are masks required on the beach? (I'm presuming not)

4) Have restaurants etc jacked the prices up to gather as much lost income back as possible?

5) Did you do any of the day trips? Jeep Safari, Boat trips etc. We normally do a couple just to break the holiday up, wondering how they operate.

Thanks again for the info. (cant wait to feel the heat of when the exit doors open in the airport!!!)
Old 03-09-2020, 16:54   #5289
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Was it a Chinese.....
No.

Well the tests came back negative and all three of us got the same flu symptoms in the same order so I'm concluding it was flu. Strange to get it being out of the house for 30 min.
Old 03-09-2020, 18:01   #5290
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

I have answered briefly blow;

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Excellent information thank you. SWMBO & I are due to fly out on Saturday to nr Alanya (Flying into Antalya)

A few if questions if possible?

1) Did you partake in the insurance available at airports to cover medical or quarantine bills?

We didn't as we have an annual policy that renewed before all this coronavirus malarkey

2) How do they deal with luggage collection? Antalya (like most airports) it's normally a huge crowd around the baggage belt

There were taped off areas for each group of passengers but it was generally self policing

3) Are masks required on the beach? (I'm presuming not)

No, the only place where we were asked to wars masks was the lifts which makes good sense

4) Have restaurants etc jacked the prices up to gather as much lost income back as possible?

Noe sure to be honest as this was the first time we have been to Turkey. We have a slap up meal for 4 including drinks for €40

5) Did you do any of the day trips? Jeep Safari, Boat trips etc. We normally do a couple just to break the holiday up, wondering how they operate.

We were lazy and didn't do any excursions I'm afraid

Thanks again for the info. (cant wait to feel the heat of when the exit doors open in the airport!!!)
Old 03-09-2020, 18:36   #5291
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by downquark1 View Post
No.

Well the tests came back negative and all three of us got the same flu symptoms in the same order so I'm concluding it was flu. Strange to get it being out of the house for 30 min.
I've just shaken off a cold. No idea how I got it - possibly spending a couple of hours in solid rain a week ago affecting my nasal hairs.
Maybe someone more expert than me can verify that immunity is reduced in colder conditions.

Anyway, the dilemma I faced was whether or not to let the family know that I'd caught a cold. I knew it was a cold but they would have taken a different view in the circumstances because none of them had caught anything. It's almost gone now but just think of the tracing kerfuffle that might have occurred.

A difficult call.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 03-09-2020, 19:29   #5292
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

https://www.centredaily.com/sports/c...245448050.html

Quote:
During a State College Area school board of directors meeting on Monday night, Wayne Sebastianelli — Penn State’s director of athletic medicine — made some alarming comments about the link between COVID-19 and myocarditis, particularly in Big Ten athletes. Sebastianelli said that cardiac MRI scans revealed that approximately a third of Big Ten athletes who tested positive for COVID-19 appeared to have myocarditis, an inflammation of the heart muscle that can be fatal if left unchecked.

“When we looked at our COVID-positive athletes, whether they were symptomatic or not, 30 to roughly 35 percent of their heart muscles (are) inflamed,” Sebastianelli said. “And we really just don’t know what to do with it right now. It’s still very early in the infection. Some of that has led to the Pac-12 and the Big Ten’s decision to sort of put a hiatus on what’s happening.”...

....You could have a very high-level athlete who’s got a very superior VO2 max and cardiac output who gets infected with COVID and can drop his or her VO2 max and cardiac output just by 10 percent, and that could make them go from elite status to average status,” Sebastianelli said. “We don’t know that. We don’t know how long that’s going to last. What we have seen is when people have been studied with cardiac MRI scans — symptomatic and asymptomatic COVID infections — is a level of inflammation in cardiac muscle that just is alarming.
This is interesting (even if you’re not into NFL) as it shows that previously (very) healthy athletes who catch COVID-19 (even if asymptomatic) could have long-term health issues, which could end their sporting careers; and the same issues could affect non-athletes.

For comparison, the incidence is estimated at 10-20 cases per 100,000 normally.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 03-09-2020 at 20:15.
Old 03-09-2020, 20:48   #5293
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
https://www.centredaily.com/sports/c...245448050.html

This is interesting (even if you’re not into NFL) as it shows that previously (very) healthy athletes who catch COVID-19 (even if asymptomatic) could have long-term health issues, which could end their sporting careers; and the same issues could affect non-athletes.

For comparison, the incidence is estimated at 10-20 cases per 100,000 normally.
Nothing new really.

Quote:
The list of lingering maladies from COVID-19 is longer and more varied than most doctors could have imagined. Ongoing problems include fatigue, a racing heartbeat, shortness of breath, achy joints, foggy thinking, a persistent loss of sense of smell, and damage to the heart, lungs, kidneys, and brain.
Link
Old 03-09-2020, 20:51   #5294
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Nothing new really.

Link
Agreed - but the previous evidence didn’t include those who had been asymptomatic having heart damage.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 03-09-2020, 21:06   #5295
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Agreed - but the previous evidence didn’t include those who had been asymptomatic having heart damage.
Were previous studies looking for it though?

Quote:
A new paper in Nature Medicine, published June 18, documents the clinical patterns of asymptomatic infections. It finds that many of the people studied developed signs of minor lung inflammation — akin to walking pneumonia — while exhibiting no other symptoms of the coronavirus.

The study shows that being asymptomatic doesn't always mean that no damage has occurred in someone's body; follow-up studies will help researchers assess for potential long-term impacts. It also demonstrates that the intense scrutiny applied to novel coronavirus infections could shed light on how other respiratory diseases operate: Asymptomatic carriers of flu or common cold viruses are not studied much, so it's unclear whether the documented inflammation is a typical immune response or specific to the novel coronavirus.
Link

There's also this.

Quote:
Some patients with myocarditis are asymptomatic, while other may have just mild symptoms at times, including occasional chest pain or difficulty breathing. But Rodriguez is not alone: there have been multiple reports of myocarditis among college football players, putting the season in jeopardy. Already the Mid-American, PAC-12 and Big 10 have cancelled or delayed the start of the fall season.
Link

Last edited by pip08456; 03-09-2020 at 21:12.
Closed Thread