Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Funding of the BBC

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Funding of the BBC

Old 18-12-2018, 08:06   #61
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Funding of the BBC

Here is a prime example of how the licence fee system actually hinders the BBC from delivering its content to viewers. Ofcom is playing hardball with the Beeb's plans to provide more content on the i-Player and they are continuing to restrict the amount of time it is on there, in most cases, to a 30 day period.

Moving to a voluntary subscription model should resolve this problem as this would mean the BBC was competing fairly and on a level playing field. Thus, they would have more freedom from Ofcom as the competition concerns would no longer be there.

This decision clearly shows that the existing licence fee system is actually detrimental to viewers as well as to competing providers.

https://advanced-television.com/2018...layer-changes/
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-12-2018, 09:15   #62
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Think you've succeeded on boring us to death on your many threads/posts on this one OB !

Compared to Sky/VM subs it's terrific value, £12 a month. The cost is only so low because of its universal nature, moving to a subscription would mean costs increasing significantly and it content being the same as commercial channels, ie. crap. The BBC make programmes others don't because of its funding stream.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 09:59   #63
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Think you've succeeded on boring us to death on your many threads/posts on this one OB !

Compared to Sky/VM subs it's terrific value, £12 a month. The cost is only so low because of its universal nature, moving to a subscription would mean costs increasing significantly and it content being the same as commercial channels, ie. crap. The BBC make programmes others don't because of its funding stream.
Whilst others might agree with OB's sentiments l am with you for once on this Mr K as l think for the breadth of content they make the license fee is well worth the the value IMO.
Old 18-12-2018, 10:39   #64
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

I agree about the comparison of the cost of the licence fee with the pay tv operators, but I think it will prove unsustainable to continue to fleece those who don't want to access BBC content.

You may be bored with the debate on this, Mr K, but for some people this is a real issue. We keep hearing people prattle on about fairness, and yet for some curious reason, those same people are silent on this clear example of unfairness.
Old 18-12-2018, 10:48   #65
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Well if you think you or others are being fleeced by the BBC then like any customer who goes out shopping for something you don't have to buy it OB as its that simple at the end of the day..
Old 18-12-2018, 10:56   #66
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Well if you think you or others are being fleeced by the BBC then like any customer who goes out shopping for something you don't have to buy it OB as its that simple at the end of the day..
But you do have to buy it if you want to view other content that is classed as live TV.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 11:35   #67
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I agree about the comparison of the cost of the licence fee with the pay tv operators, but I think it will prove unsustainable to continue to fleece those who don't want to access BBC content.

You may be bored with the debate on this, Mr K, but for some people this is a real issue. We keep hearing people prattle on about fairness, and yet for some curious reason, those same people are silent on this clear example of unfairness.
Its peanuts compared to what people shell out on pay tv subscriptions. I don't really believe there are that many that don't access any BBC services, which include much more than just TV. Services like Local Radio, website, news weather - it has a public service remit, who would fill these roles of they weren't 'profitable' ?
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 13:50   #68
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Its peanuts compared to what people shell out on pay tv subscriptions. I don't really believe there are that many that don't access any BBC services, which include much more than just TV. Services like Local Radio, website, news weather - it has a public service remit, who would fill these roles of they weren't 'profitable' ?
Old 18-12-2018, 14:36   #69
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
It's not peanuts to everyone, and certainly not in comparison with Amazon or Netflix.

---------- Post added at 13:34 ---------- Previous post was at 13:30 ----------

Quote:
I am prepared to pay a subscription to the BBC. But I agree with those who watch other channels and not BBC channels that they should not have to pay.

A subscription would ensure that they operated on a more commercial basis, which would ensure that much of the waste and bureaucracy that we are paying for would end. The BBC needs more financial discipline and needs to be able to act as a commercial broadcaster in order to do what it wants to do (eg provide programmes for longer than 30 days on the BBC i-Player)

---------- Post added at 13:36 ---------- Previous post was at 13:34 ----------

Quote:
Whilst others might agree with OB's sentiments l am with you for once on this Mr K as l think for the breadth of content they make the license fee is well worth the the value IMO.
It's not good value if you don't watch it, Den. It's a waste of money.
Old 18-12-2018, 14:37   #70
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
It's not peanuts to everyone, and certainly not in comparison with Amazon or Netflix.
Well, when Netflix or Amazon provide 10 national radio stations, 40 local radio stations, a World News service, and an extensive website with news, educational, and factual information, that would be a valid comparison.

Until then you’re comparing apples with hedgehogs.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 16:21   #71
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Well, when Netflix or Amazon provide 10 national radio stations, 40 local radio stations, a World News service, and an extensive website with news, educational, and factual information, that would be a valid comparison.

Exactly!
Old 18-12-2018, 17:46   #72
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:

I was talking about the amount of money, Hugh, I was not making that kind of comparison in response to this particular post.
Old 18-12-2018, 17:54   #73
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
I was talking about the amount of money, Hugh, I was not making that kind of comparison in response to this particular post.
But the amount of money is what provides the breadth of services - they charge slightly more than Netflix and Amazon per month, but provide so much more...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 18:06   #74
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I don't watch BBC TV so I don't want to to be forced to pay £12 a month.

I do use the BBC websites but I would stop doing that in an instant if it was subscription as it is alot of money in my opinion, we should get the choice.
Old 18-12-2018, 19:31   #75
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
But the amount of money is what provides the breadth of services - they charge slightly more than Netflix and Amazon per month, but provide so much more...
They do in terms of breadth of services, Hugh, I agree, but Netflix provides much more excellent scripted content.

To be clear, I would still pay for the BBC if it scrapped the licence fee in favour of a subscription, and I think most households would do the same. But the Beeb would be much more accountable to its subscribers, much more careful with how it spends its money and would no longer charge people who didn't watch its output. What's more, the Government would interfere less than it does now and the BBC could pursue its on demand ventures to its heart's content without being slapped down by Ofcom.

I think a subscription based service has benefits to all, actually.