Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Gig1 service

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Gig1 service

Old 10-09-2020, 13:33   #31
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Re: Gig1 service

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtho782 View Post
Even if I used the Hub4 in Hub mode, I still wouldn't use more than 1Gbps as most of my usage would be from a single device at a time, be it Steam on my main PC or whatever is downloading on my unraid server. I guess for some, there will be multiple devices connected over separate ethernet ports without a switch inbetween each using a load of bandwidth but I'd bet that's pretty uncommon at home.
I don't think it's a case of 1-2 devices chugging lots of bandwidth, I think it's more a case of lots of devices all chugging a chunk of bandwidth and that adds up. Kids have ipads and stream netflix, scale that up to a family and there's definitely scope for a couple of hundred Mbit being used at a time, meaning whoever's doing the heavy downloading is probably not going to hit gigabit at peak anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
At the time LG sourced the Hub 4 hardware from Arris, there will have been limited options available for DOCSIS 3.1 kit. The same Hub is installed in all LG D3.1 deployments, it's not unique hardware to Virgin Media even if the black version is.

Arris have only recently introduced Wi-Fi 6 and 2.5Gig Ethernet hardware to their gateways as far as I know.
I remember looking on the Arris site when gig1 was launched and I couldn't even see any 2.5Gig kit. No doubt LG sourced this equipment well in advance, with certification, etc. on top.

It's still frustrating from my perspective, but I definitely get why they picked the device they did. I don't even really have much 2.5G+ equipment in my home so as much as I'm complaining, I'm not ready yet either.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2020, 20:10   #32
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice
Re: Gig1 service

Personally I'd rather 10g sfp+ than 2.5g NbaseT but the consumer market sees to be heading in the direction of rj45 twisted pair for over 1g, 2.5g rj45 ports are more expensive than 10g sfp+ with DAC cables or cheap fibre sfps and cables.

I have 10g on my router (udm-pro) and a "core" 10g sfp+ mikrotik switch which links to the udm via a DAC cable and my server and main desktop by single mode fibre. The rest of my network is 1g unifi kit. 10g fibre sfp+ modules can be had for about £6 each, whereas 2.5/5/10 rj45 sfp+ modules are more like £85.

I only have 350m right now but find the 10g link useful as it means I can run drives in the desktop as iSCSI targets and it's as fast as local drives.

I appreciate my desires here are not those of the average VM customer!!!
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote