Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media UK to axe V Boxes from August

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media UK to axe V Boxes from August

Old 25-06-2018, 17:07   #61
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Media UK to axe V Boxes from August

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
It's not so much that it's HD but that it supports the MPEG4 streams that VM is switching all the channels over to eventually. The better codec (H264 I Think) will allow for more content and/or better PQ.

It also has the incidental advantage of a down scaled SCART socket output so I can used my DVD/HDD recorder and the modulator.

We never seem to need to record much content so a TIVO or V6 is of limited interest.
So you watch mainly live TV? I couldn't be doing with that! I stopped watching scheduled TV almost 20 years ago. The VHS tapes took over the lounge!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-06-2018, 18:22   #62
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

No, we watch a lot of downloads and streams plus a very few scheduled programmes. I'm seriously considering dumping the TV pack entirely so little use of it we make.
Old 26-06-2018, 09:50   #63
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
No, we watch a lot of downloads and streams plus a very few scheduled programmes. I'm seriously considering dumping the TV pack entirely so little use of it we make.
you may be better off keeping it, I remember when I phoned to cancel tv, and just keep internet and phone, I was told the discount by having a 3 package bundle was greater than the cheapest tv package, so it was cheaper to have the lowest tv package than to remove it!
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 15:04   #64
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote from admars:

you may be better off keeping it, I remember when I phoned to cancel tv, and just keep internet and phone, I was told the discount by having a 3 package bundle was greater than the cheapest tv package, so it was cheaper to have the lowest tv package than to remove it!
Old 26-06-2018, 17:22   #65
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by admars View Post
I had an identical conversation a few years ago.
Very rare that I watch the TV, wife & daughter glance at it occasionally between catching up on facebook stuff, I'd estimate the dog watches it more than anyone in the household
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 18:45   #66
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
I had an identical conversation a few years ago.
Very rare that I watch the TV, wife & daughter glance at it occasionally between catching up on facebook stuff, I'd estimate the dog watches it more than anyone in the household

What are his favourites😆
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 19:20   #67
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
What are his favourites��
Watchdog, probably
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2018, 21:51   #68
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Only V-Boxes are being replaced at the moment. V+ and V-HD boxes are unaffected.

If you have a manned install, ask nicely if you want the boxes moved. Or just move them yourself afterwards,
After speaking to retentions today Spiderplant, they have insisted that my perfectly working V HD box needs to be replaced as its "obsolete".

Am I being told fibs? Me thinks I am.

---------- Post added at 20:51 ---------- Previous post was at 20:40 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Well if customers are still paying for those they've been ripped off royally by VM.
As an aside, I think we should have the option to use what equipment we want like they can do in America.

It is a complete rip off continually renting the boxes, especially as some of us paid "activation" fees upfront for them.
Old 20-07-2018, 22:44   #69
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Am I being told fibs? Me thinks I am
You are indeed.

But there again, if they are offering a free V6, why not?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2018, 22:48   #70
Horizon
Media Watcher

Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Thank you, Mr Spiderplant.
Old 20-07-2018, 23:07   #71
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Thank you, Mr Spiderplant.
They are probably getting confused between the old V box (being made obsolete)and the small VHD more modern box (not obsolete).. However they surely must be able to see what's on your account

---------- Post added at 22:07 ---------- Previous post was at 22:02 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post

But there again, if they are offering a free V6, why not?
Well there's the scart out on the older boxes which has many extra supplentary uses. Plus not everyone wants a recording (noisy) box in a bedroom, however my V6 sits ok and quiet shut in a bedroom drawer (with a little ventilation) for that very reason !
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2018, 23:51   #72
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
They are probably getting confused between the old V box (being made obsolete)and the small VHD more modern box (not obsolete).. However they surely must be able to see what's on your account

---------- Post added at 22:07 ---------- Previous post was at 22:02 ----------

Well there's the scart out on the older boxes which has many extra supplentary uses. Plus not everyone wants a recording (noisy) box in a bedroom, however my V6 sits ok and quiet shut in a bedroom drawer (with a little ventilation) for that very reason !
Quite right MrK, the ability to send the signal all around the house is very useful. It's still possible with the V6 but a real faff.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 00:10   #73
Horizon
Media Watcher

Quote:
They are probably getting confused between the old V box (being made obsolete)and the small VHD more modern box (not obsolete).. However they surely must be able to see what's on your account[n !
I told them all that, but they wern't budging.
Old 21-07-2018, 12:13   #74
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I told them all that, but they wern't budging.
In such cases you just need to ring back on another day and get another more competent person.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 23:30   #75
saabmania2

Services: VIP Pack
saabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to saabmania2

Does this effect the older V+ Box as I have one in my Bedroom but nobody has imformed me of this?
saabmania2 is offline   Reply With Quote