Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless adapter intermittent

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Wireless adapter intermittent

Old 17-02-2019, 03:09   #1
David H
cf.member

Services: Virgin XL TV, 100 meg broadband
David H is an unknown quantity at this point
Wireless adapter intermittent

I have had to move upstairs due to building work, and had to use a wireless adapter to go online as the ethernet is downstairs. It installed nicely second time with my usual password today, but drops every ten minutes or so and can either be diagnosed (slow way) where it says it's fixed a connection problem, or disabled and enabled (quick way) which usually works again.

I've rarely needed to use an adapter as most modern computers have wifi, but my relatively new Compaq never bothered to add it, I've got a super hub at 100 mbps (although at 70 it gave me 76 and appears to be around the same since), my other android devices never drop out using it simultaneously, so the likely culprit is the adapter. I got a good one which was 33% off, a tp-link AC600, and generated an error report I will email them as well. I turned off the power saving mode and now used up my options.

Am I unlucky or is there a solution to this? I'm currently spending half my computer time resetting the connection as I can only do half my tasks on Windows so have little choice sticking with it.
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-02-2019, 07:39   #2
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wireless adapter intermittent

I have Netgear WNDA3100 which i use with my laptop. I've used in various places in England and France without any problems. But again it also works OK (but slower) on the internal wifi on the laptop.

It might also be interference from the ceiling in the house depending on whats made from.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 18:45   #3
David H
cf.member

If everything else played up I'd know, but the phone and tablet always work. The signal is strong but it cuts out every ten minutes or so and needs to be reset.
Old 17-02-2019, 19:20   #4
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by David H View Post
If everything else played up I'd know, but the phone and tablet always work. The signal is strong but it cuts out every ten minutes or so and needs to be reset.
Have you checked the drivers/firmware are up to date with the manufacturers site? You can't rely on windows update for the latest.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 03:29   #5
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

I would try downloading the drivers from the Chipset manufacturers website.

A lot of the time like realtek they are newer than the adapter manufacturers website.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 07:44   #6
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

You are having to reset the connection because the adapter is dropping the connection probably due to low signal strength and having to start the whole connection process again. If I were you I would send it back (if I could) and get this instead. There are long term options as well if you are going to be working upstairs regularly or long term. Which shub have you got btw?

As an fyi the reason why you can get more than 70mbits on a 70mbit connection is because of how VM provision you. There are different factors which affect your speed and the chances are that if your max speed is 70mbits, you will probably get 65 ish. The problem is that from a legal point of view and advertising if VM advertise (or any other isp) an "up to" connection speed then you have to be able to achieve it. To this end they actually set your connection up and a slightly higher speed so that they can make sure you can get 70mbits. I don't know what this is for the 70mbit tier but probably somewhere around 76 or 78mbits. I am on the 350mbit tier but my connection is provisioned at 402mbits so I actually get 378mbits all the time.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 07:51   #7
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
You are having to reset the connection because the adapter is dropping the connection probably due to low signal strength and having to start the whole connection process again. If I were you I would send it back (if I could) and get this instead. There are long term options as well if you are going to be working upstairs regularly or long term. Which shub have you got btw?

As an fyi the reason why you can get more than 70mbits on a 70mbit connection is because of how VM provision you. There are different factors which affect your speed and the chances are that if your max speed is 70mbits, you will probably get 65 ish. The problem is that from a legal point of view and advertising if VM advertise (or any other isp) an "up to" connection speed then you have to be able to achieve it. To this end they actually set your connection up and a slightly higher speed so that they can make sure you can get 70mbits. I don't know what this is for the 70mbit tier but probably somewhere around 76 or 78mbits. I am on the 350mbit tier but my connection is provisioned at 402mbits so I actually get 378mbits all the time.
Could you please advise DSL suppliers of this?
Old 18-02-2019, 18:46   #8
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I would love to but I have never had DSL so I cannot comment. From what I have heard from peeps I know who have Sky BB or BT Infinity through Openreach it is mint.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 19:00   #9
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I would love to but I have never had DSL so I cannot comment. From what I have heard from peeps I know who have Sky BB or BT Infinity through Openreach it is mint.
It still doesn't mean an "Up to" speed has to be achievable, if it was it wouldn't be "up to". Virgin overprovision purely to look good via the Sam Knows monitoring as it helps them with OFCOM and for no other reason.

As regards VDSL via Openreach, providing the line is OK there should be no problem.

FYI connections are no longer sold on an "up to" basis.
Old 18-02-2019, 23:53   #10
David H
cf.member

The driver is up to date, the signal is full on, all uninstall options etc were tried but ten minutes is it. Unplugging and plugging the adapter in is now the quickest option to restart it, some of the time it doesn't show any networks, the others it can't connect to mine. I've already returned half the stuff I've got from Currys (now Maplin's opposite has gone who were far better) and this was the best one of their options already. I will be returning to ethernet in a week or so but would be nice to retain a wireless option if I need it again. What's a shub btw? Was it a typo?
Old 19-02-2019, 01:47   #11
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Super hub. i.e. the router Virgin sent you.