Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

Old 05-06-2010, 10:12   #91
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

Welcome to the forum

What channels are you getting? and on what freqs/IDs ?
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-06-2010, 17:18   #92
John Dough
Inactive

John Dough is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyc996 View Post
There are a fair few snags with this B&Q Ross HD kit. What ever you do don't leave it recording from the USB port as the unit powers down every 3 hours. When utilising the Astra 1 satellites which have the european channels the reciever locks up whilst doing the scan for channels. When installing the system you notice that the signal level doesn't move from 99% just one of the many firmware errors encountered. This is the reason they are much cheaper than Technomate and Humax, there is no comparison.
And you think Technomate and Humax have no problems because thay are more expensive?? that is a joke m8 if you ever experienced Humax after sales service it is deplorable believe me as a former sat engineer they are only interested in sales of boxes after that forget about any back up on them.
John Dough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 21:43   #93
Video Kid
Inactive

Video Kid is an unknown quantity at this point

I 0wn a Humax freeview PVR. The only problem I have encountered with this unit is when downloading files to my PC, this was overcome using a third party software and connecting directly to the hard drive. I own two Tecnomate FTA recievers wth which I am very pleased, at least they allow me to download channels from the Astra 1 group without locking up halfway through. The Ross customer support actually acknowledge that this is a problem. As this is one of the most poular satellite groups to me this makes the Ross system worthless. As I've never had to use the Humax or Technomate customer support, I'm unable to comment. In my opinion the manufacturers always know about problems with products but will never admitt to them, the customer always has to learn the hard way.
Video Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 13:47   #94
PedroKTFC
Inactive

PedroKTFC is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Welcome to the forum

What channels are you getting? and on what freqs/IDs ?
Thanks.

Some examples I'm getting:

Sky Intro 11934 V 27500
Sky News UK 12207 V 27500
BBC News 11954 H 27500

While one I'm not (and have zero quality for):

CBS Drama 11343 V 27500

I could look out some more if it'll be useful.
PedroKTFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 14:50   #95
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

OK, it proves you're on the right sats. Take a peek at this previous post of mine which might be the cause of the problem you;re getting
Old 09-06-2010, 00:29   #96
wavefinder
Inactive

wavefinder is an unknown quantity at this point

hi, i have this ross hd system. assembled the dish myself and to save any messin around i decided to call a professional in to put it up and configure it. waste of time! £40 , and he comes off ladder into living room and sees a picture and remarks, ooooh look, thats a good pic,then buggers off! only then did i realise it would have been nice of him to hang around on the ladder and do a bit more configuring and tweeking till we obtained the best poss quality! anyway, i'm gettin 63% on bbc hd and itv hd and only 42% on luxe hd. am pleased with the system,but can't help feeling that i could be getting more! is it poss to increase the quality? and what figures are people on this forum getting? also, which sat is all the french and german stuff on? do i have to go outside and climb ladder to tweek the dish and lnb? sorry for such a long ramblin post. cheers.
wavefinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:34   #97
Kymmy
Inactive

If you have BBC & ITV then you;re pointing at 28.2E, french, german, spanish tend to occupy the sats at 19.2E, 13E and others. Only way of getting them is either a motorized dish or a dual head/2nd dish (or as you say to move the dish east or west and slightly up or down dependant on which way you go). Is the reciever capable of running a DiseqC switch? If yes then you can use a dual/triple head or a 2nd dish via a diseqc switch. If you have full diseqc control then you can use a motor that automatically turns the dish as you change channels..

Remember thought that freesat is one of the very few groups of FTA channels that actually have good content, most other good channels (especially on the continental sats) are not FTA and are encrypted
Old 09-06-2010, 13:09   #98
multiskilled
cf.geek

Services: Player tv , V6, phone l, bb 100Meg.
multiskilled has reached the bronze age
multiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze age

My daughter lives in a block of flats with a communal aerial and sky sat system.

I was wondering if she could connect a Freesat stb to it, or would she have to use a sky stb to get their free to air channels? Which as far as I'm aware, she would still need a card from Sky to receive some of the channels.
Old 09-06-2010, 15:02   #99
Kymmy
Inactive

Freesat "should" work, they'll have two LNB's one for H one for V but the sat group is the same..
Old 09-06-2010, 15:44   #100
multiskilled
cf.geek

multiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze age

Thanks Kymmy I had a feeling it would, but wasn't sure if communal sat systems were set up specifically for sky reception.
Old 09-06-2010, 16:08   #101
Kymmy
Inactive

The frequencies through the LNB's are the same, what you might find is that there's a buffer that handles switching the H/V so that multiple people can use the same dishes without having the selection changed on you by someone else.

I'd suggest you check out which company (the building caretaker should know) does the sat/sky installs for them and ask. But yes it "should" work
Old 09-06-2010, 17:17   #102
multiskilled
cf.geek

I suppose the switching voltages are the same on the freesat boxes, as you can use a sky dish and lnb no problem. I understand your reason for not being 100% sure it will work.

I will let you know the outcome if she goes ahead with free sat.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 09-06-2010, 23:15   #103
Video Kid
Inactive

Video Kid is an unknown quantity at this point

I own one of these recievers and I'm not overly impressed with the perfomance. 63% for quality is about right, you can always improve this by upgrading the LNB. I would take care when repositioning because when I allingned the dish to the Astra 1 group (they contain the German and Spanish channels) whilst downloading the channels the reciever froze. After contacting the Ross customer support who apparently knew about the issue but don't seem to be making any attempt to rectify it, the only cure was to do a factory restore and reallign with the Astra 2 satellites. The other annoying point is that it turns itself off after 3 hours if the reciever doesn't get any input from the remote control. Good luck.
Video Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:01   #104
wavefinder
Inactive

wavefinder is an unknown quantity at this point

thanx for the info, kymmy and mikey. its not a bad system for the money. might investigate the dual lnb route. did notice though,tonight on itv, a movie, the illusionist. characters in moving scenes seem to be a bit jerky. i like looking at luxe hd channel sometimes it seems to show quite a bit of promise in the pic, at only 42% quality. i mean some of the scenes can be quite impressive! cheers.
wavefinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:32   #105
Kymmy
Inactive

Remember dual LNB (either a monobloc or two LNBs on an adaptor and a diseqc switch) will only work if the reciever has diseqc switching..