Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 01:14   #2986
Bobby's-Nutz
Permanently Banned

Bobby's-Nutz is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Remember this you guys, I know how the system works, I did the 8 years in 3 courts on an international case.. I lost the first one but, second one caved in under 'conflict of law' and the 3rd I really wanted to not use it but, ***** shame I did and killed it.. They owe me £330,000 in damages but I killed the ***** case off with conflict of law... crying my eyes out here, have some ***** sympathy... haaaaa
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2008, 01:15   #2987
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby's-Nutz View Post
{snip}
Bobby, where are you from, UK or US?
Old 12-04-2008, 01:27   #2988
Bobby's-Nutz
Permanently Banned

Alexander, Please put some faith into the ICO and play the diplomatic game. Careful now what we say, ok? Back your only friend in this as such, the other *******s would sell you out believe me.. Pay respect to the ones you have elected to represent you and you won't believe the respect you get in return... Please believe me, do not disrespect your own legal offices, if you do all is lost.. Bent Kent is the most polite crook in the world and he has a charm that we must defeat.. ... Bottom line is if you cannot trust the ICO then leave the country... Top line, stay here and help our ICO.. ok guy? .... As for pormo phormo pr looking in on this all I can say is you are ****** in the UK... HAAAAA
Old 12-04-2008, 01:31   #2989
SimonHickling
Inactive

SimonHickling is an unknown quantity at this point

Alexander, I've just read your article and think it's great. It's answered a number of questions I had about the relevant laws.

Earlier today I e-mailed both ICO and the Home Office to find out what the nature of the advice they had given Phorm was (though I doubt they'll actually tell me - it's not like I pay their wages or anything ). I also raised with them the issue of web hosts opting out as that seems to have been avoided by Phorm and BT so far. I had come to the same conclusions as you regarding the Copyright Designs and Patents Act with regards to publishing a derivative work, and likened it to making a copy of the Times, Hansard, etc adding a load of adverts and then passing it on (I assume they will understand that).

Has anyone heard anything from Phorm, ISPs, ICO or Home Office about the rights of web hosts beyond the implied consent argument (FTR I explicitly do NOT consent and shall be forwarding the details of my sites to the relevant parties)?

As I am partly responsible for a commercial site (children's furniture), I would not be happy if, as a result of searching for children's furniture someone visited our site and was presented with a load of adverts for other manufacturers / resellers seemingly advertising on our site.

Thanks again to Alexander for his (I'd say tireless, but I guess he's tired) great work.

Forgot to mention - I actually asked Phorm about the opt-out options for web hosts, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:37   #2990
Bobby's-Nutz
Permanently Banned

Anyways you guys, you do not have to go to the Phorm pr stunt because Phorm/Bt are defeated in the UK.. Winners do not accept invitations to a pr promotion in respect of the losers... Now grow up lads and back out of this pr thing, he might use it as a protest against the ICO.. BE WARNED. Give him no audience that his arrogance oh so craves, back away from him, he's the loser ffs....
Old 12-04-2008, 01:40   #2991
manxminx
Inactive

Services: All VM cable: V+, 20Meg Broadband, XL phone
manxminx is on a distinguished roadmanxminx is on a distinguished road

A lot of people have been wondering what Kent has up his sleeve for Tuesday. Personally, I don't think he has anything new. Time will tell, but I get the feeling that he has total blind faith in his product, that's all. He is right, everyone else is wrong. And that is also the case when it comes to the law, his interpretation is the correct one.

He's already been quoted as saying that he was totally mystified as to why there has been such a backlash, and I can accept that as it's obvious they had not planned for such a response from us, despite the interim 80/20 thinking report giving him advanced warning.

Interception of data? impersonating websites? What's that got to do with the price of cheese? The fact is, as he keeps on telling us, Phorm doesn't store any personal data, it respects privacy, it embraces privacy. THAT's what's important. . . . .

Roll on Tuesday . . .
Old 12-04-2008, 01:50   #2992
Bobby's-Nutz
Permanently Banned

Alexander I think you will agree the loser is craving our attention... Just let me play his ***** game, I'll always be a step ahead but, grrrr, if only I had his money, hehehe..

---------- Post added at 01:50 ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 ----------

Ok we hark on about privacy but are Phorm trying to tell us we have no online privacy unless we sign over our parents ashs to them, emmmmmm, maybe but include the card number plz, ooops! sorry we don't need your credit card number as it's up on our hd wide screen in our office right now, thank you...
Old 12-04-2008, 01:52   #2993
mark777
Inactive

mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

I don't know how big Marketing Week is in the advertising sector, but if it's widely read, this is good.

http://www.marketingweek.co.uk/cgi-b...=258&h=262&f=3

"Prior to the ICO ruling, Phorm was expecting to operate on the basis that all customers of an internet service provider were enrolled and users would actively have to opt-out."

And that's how they must have been pushing it to potential advertisers.

"Marketing Week is the UK's leading magazine for professionals working in marketing, marketing services and media."

For what it's worth in the 'about us' bit. The Phorm story is linked on the front page at the moment though.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:55   #2994
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Anyways you guys, you do not have to go to the Phorm pr stunt because Phorm/Bt are defeated in the UK.. Winners do not accept invitations to a pr promotion in respect of the losers... Now grow up lads and back out of this pr thing, he might use it as a protest against the ICO.. BE WARNED. Give him no audience that his arrogance oh so craves, back away from him, he's the loser ffs....
Why are you trying so hard to dissuade everyone from attending the meeting?I smell something fishy.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:56   #2995
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Would everybody please cut out the profanity in their posts, and avoid trying to bypass the filter. It should be a clue if your posts have loads of asterixes that the use of such words is not accepted on Cable Forum.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:00   #2996
Bobby's-Nutz
Permanently Banned

Alexander is delving into our weird and wonderful laws right this moment, stop, you will go mad studying conflicts of law ... Trust me Alexander nobody goes there unless you got a good 5mil starters... Please believe me you will only defeat guys like Bent Kent via higher office, let them do the work, we are the victims in this scam...
Old 12-04-2008, 02:04   #2997
BeckyD
Inactive

Services: 8Mb Aquiss BB, BT Phone, Sky TV
BeckyD is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognitas View Post
Why are you trying so hard to dissuade everyone from attending the meeting?I smell something fishy.
Have to say I agree, I'm smelling a rat......
Old 12-04-2008, 02:09   #2998
Bobby's-Nutz
Permanently Banned

Earlier today I e-mailed both ICO and the Home Office to find out what the nature of the advice they had given Phorm was (though I doubt they'll actually tell me - it's not like I pay their wages or anything ). I also raised with them the issue of web hosts opting out as that seems to have been avoided by Phorm and BT so far. I had come to the same conclusions as you regarding the Copyright Designs and Patents Act with regards to publishing a derivative work, and likened it to making a copy of the Times, Hansard, etc adding a load of adverts and then passing it on (I assume they will understand that).

Take your time they will respond, they responded to me online this morning I believe or maybe just a million to one coincidence plus I got a lovely thank you notice.. C'mon, who's your real friend here, ICO or ******s online?

---------- Post added at 02:09 ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 ----------

Rob we are trying, sorry, bad words seem to be a way of life though...
Old 12-04-2008, 02:25   #2999
mark777
Inactive

Quote:
Rob we are trying, sorry, bad words seem to be a way of life though...
'We' - just how many of you are there? There seems to be a big change in style here compared to previous posts.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:27   #3000
SimonHickling
Inactive

SimonHickling is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonHickling View Post
I had come to the same conclusions as you regarding the Copyright Designs and Patents Act with regards to publishing a derivative work, and likened it to making a copy of the Times, Hansard, etc adding a load of adverts and then passing it on (I assume they will understand that).
As I am partly responsible for a commercial site (children's furniture), I would not be happy if, as a result of searching for children's furniture someone visited our site and was presented with a load of adverts for other manufacturers / resellers seemingly advertising on our site.
Having re-read some of the previously mentioned articles it seems that sites will not have ads thrust upon them unless they subscribe to OIX. My mistake (I hope). I still don't want them trawling my sites though.
Closed Thread