Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BBC license change to cover catchup

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar

BBC license change to cover catchup

Old 28-03-2016, 08:53   #46
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Re: BBC license change to cover catchup

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweedle View Post
I my house the BBC channels never watched, we enjoy ITV and C4, and many other channels. So too me the BBC is a rip off and many many agree with me.

---------- Post added at 14:01 ---------- Previous post was at 13:58 ----------

How is it a rip off just because you don't watch it ,also it's been shown many times in various threads on the TVL that you would be very surprised about BBC programs that you watch without being aware that the BBC had a hand in their production.

Quote:
If the BBC is so amazing I'm sure everyone currently paying the TV licence or face prison will keep willingly paying.
FYI no one has ever gone to jail for not paying their TVL
Advertisement
Old 28-03-2016, 11:14   #47
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

True, although:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013...n_4163939.html

Quote:
Courts Jail 107 People For Not Paying BBC TV Licence Fines
Old 28-03-2016, 11:33   #48
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

And every last one of them thought "I won't get jailed for not paying".
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 11:50   #49
tweedle
Permanently Banned

tweedle is a jewel in the roughtweedle is a jewel in the roughtweedle is a jewel in the roughtweedle is a jewel in the roughtweedle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
How is it a rip off just because you don't watch it ,also it's been shown many times in various threads on the TVL that you would be very surprised about BBC programs that you watch without being aware that the BBC had a hand in their production.

FYI no one has ever gone to jail for not paying their TVL
Like I said before "it was t the gun shot to the head that killed him, it was the loss of blood"
tweedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 12:51   #50
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Every single one was jailed for not paying fines not for not paying the TVL .You don't get jailed for doing 40mph in a 30 mph zone but you will get jailed for not paying the fine
Old 28-03-2016, 17:36   #51
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
Every single one was jailed for not paying fines not for not paying the TVL .You don't get jailed for doing 40mph in a 30 mph zone but you will get jailed for not paying the fine
You only get done if you let the TVL bozo into your house or let them see your 60" screen from the road. We've even had them peering through the letterbox.

As stated not paying the subsequent court fine and thus being in contempt of court is what gets you jailed.
Old 28-03-2016, 21:10   #52
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
You only get done if you let the TVL bozo into your house or let them see your 60" screen from the road. We've even had them peering through the letterbox.

As stated not paying the subsequent court fine and thus being in contempt of court is what gets you jailed
Of course they can only fine you if they get your full name. So if you never give it to them they can't ever fine you or take you to court.
Old 29-03-2016, 08:45   #53
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Of course they can only fine you if they get your full name. So if you never give it to them they can't ever fine you or take you to court.
Our names are not on the public electoral register so all their threatening letters are addressed to "The Legal Occupier" The silliest one being "What you need to know in court" No name, no prosecution, numb nuts.
Old 29-03-2016, 10:28   #54
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Non-payment is still a criminal offence. Believe me, if they do actually take you to court, they can get your name without any problems at all.
Old 29-03-2016, 10:48   #55
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Our names are not on the public electoral register so all their threatening letters are addressed to "The Legal Occupier" The silliest one being "What you need to know in court" No name, no prosecution, numb nuts.
Yeah, I get those too. Also the we are sending someone round. I live in a flat so anytime I answer the buzzer I ask who is there. If I don't know them or they say they are from TVL I just say not today thanks thenhang up and never let them in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Non-payment is still a criminal offence. Believe me, if they do actually take you to court, they can get your name without any problems at all.
But they can't take you to court WITHOUT having your name first. So the letters are just empty threats as they are just addresed to The legal Occupier.

They can't get your name unless you give it to them.
Old 29-03-2016, 11:03   #56
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Yeah, I get those too. Also the we are sending someone round. I live in a flat so anytime I answer the buzzer I ask who is there. If I don't know them or they say they are from TVL I just say not today thanks thenhang up and never let them in.

But they can't take you to court WITHOUT having your name first. So the letters are just empty threats as they are just addresed to The legal Occupier.

They can't get your name unless you give it to them.
Yes they can. If they actually launch a criminal investigation (which they have not done, at the point you start getting threatening letters), they can very easily get your name without asking you.
Old 29-03-2016, 12:57   #57
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

I think the guy is pushing it a bit in his statement, I didnt like this comment.

Quote:
"The BBC works on the basis that all who watch it pay for it.
There is people who may never watch bbc even with iplayer but because they watch some other channel they have to pay the license fee.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 18:03   #58
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 12 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaddy View Post
5% of households don't have a tv anymore, many use catch up services but a significant number don't bother with it at all.
And there I've been all these years proud to be a member of what I thought was only two percent!

I already pay for Amazon Prime (I'd been doing that for years before they added 20-odd quid for their streaming service), so I'll be damned if I'll pay the BBC anything!
Old 25-04-2016, 18:31   #59
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
so I'll be damned if I'll pay the BBC anything!
funny you should say that because I have been thinking about this all day as Games of Thrones 6x01 has premiered. People can praise the BBC all they want but given the choice (as in if the law changed and you weren't forced to pay for it anymore) how many people do you think would choose to save themselves £x/month and/or go for Sky/Netflix/Amazon Prime instead?

The BBC was good for what it was back in the 60s, 70s and 80s when there wasn't anything else but as with everything else, times have moved on and there are better services out there which offer you better and more for your money. Millions of people used to flock to the beach (Blackpool etc) in the early 1900s for their summer holidays and watch punch & judy shows and have ice cream but times have moved on and now we like to go abroad. Shall we make it law that everyone has to have their summer holiday in England?
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 16:22   #60
Scary
Inactive

Services: Size XL 120mg BB Tivo box v+ box
Scary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of society

Personally i can't remember the last time i watched anything on the bbc, if it went the way of a subscription based the bbc would not last long
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote