Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Doctor Who : Season 6

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television

Doctor Who : Season 6

Old 26-12-2010, 01:30   #16
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Doctor Who : Season 6

The christmas episode was ok, but nothing special IMO.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-12-2010, 03:10   #17
cimt

cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal

They're never actually fantastic though, are they? Did anyone watch the trailer? Can't wait for the new series to start.
cimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 05:22   #18
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array

Unless there is a significant change in the writing and acting I can see the next season of Dr Who being the last. It used to be the sets were cardboard and the acting made up for it, now the acting is cardboard and the sets make up for it. The story today was bland and the acting mediocre. Thing is, I have yet to see Matt Smith really OWN the role. This today in no way was helped by the storyline. I'm sure Smith is a fine actor, but he just doesn't seem to fit the role, there's something lacking. Moffat has written some EXCELLENT episodes in the past (Empty Child, Girl in the fireplace, Silence in the library) but since being in control of the show - nothing on a par with them.

I've watched episodes of Dr Who featuring all the Actors, despite the show being 10 years old when I was born, I grew up in the Tom Baker era but have seen every episode I can find with earlier Doctors, and all have established themselves in the first episodes of the first season, something Matt Smith has not yet done. (Even Sylvester McCoy battling murderous Bertie Bassets) It could be that the script writers haven't given him the opportunity but it just seems he hasn't / can't settle into the role. We're a season into smith and he just doesn't bring the dynamic to the role. I had the same misgivings about Chris Ecclestone, but by the end of 'Rose' he'd established himself, Same for David Tennant - but by the end of 'Smith and Jones' he'd established himself. I'm a sci fi addict and proud of it, but the shows that don't draw me in seem to get cancelled a lot, I never got into Caprica - cancelled, Stargate Universe bored me - It wasn't just the 'oh we have 8 hours to find food' type storylines, there was no real antagonist (SG1 had the Goa'uld and the Ori, Atlantis had the Wraith), nothing that could draw the audience into supporting the main cast for - show cancelled. I'm getting those same 'meh' feelings for Doctor Who, and if they can't get the show moving I can see viewing figures dropping and the BBC deciding it's not cost effective to keep running.
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 06:43   #19
Jameseh

I can see what you mean about Matt Smith, I couldn't sit through today's special and some episodes of S5 were disappointing but with the large american following it seems to have and all the revenue they get from merchandise, I really can't see them cancelling it any time soon.
Old 26-12-2010, 14:05   #20
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Watching the Xmas ep now.

One thing i've noticed so far is that there seem to be a few references to star trek. Nothing massive, just that the bridge of the starship Amy was one was a similar shape to the bridge of the Enterprise in The Wrath Of Kahn. The Viewscreen was the same shape as well. They also referred to the ship as being "Galaxy Class".
Not only that but the bridge was White and had lots of lens flair like the recent Trek movie.

Need to give a second viewing but I really enjoyed the Christmas ep this year.
Old 26-12-2010, 14:22   #21
Blackened
Inactive

Blackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpack

We were all looking forward to the episode all day and settled to watch it late evening - our V+ box ended the recording before the episode had finished. We're all pretty big DW fans in this house but none of us could be bothered checking iPlayer to watch the last few minutes. Very dull for a special. I think (unlike DT) Smith needs strong supporting character roles and those were clearly lacking here.
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 16:26   #22
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Just as disappointing as the previous series.

On the strength of the Xmas special and the last series I think I have come to the end of my patience with this show.

It seems to me to be on a par with Merlin, complete and utter rubbish.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2010, 11:55   #23
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Watched the Christmas episode last night - I'd give it 2/10 at a push. Didn't like it at all.
Old 29-12-2010, 12:40   #24
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

compared to other christmas specials this was crap ,the story line was rubbish.I don't mind Matt Smith he will grow on me the same as other doctors have as long as the story lines improve ,hopefully this is not a fore taste of things to come in the next season
Old 04-01-2011, 13:20   #25
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

I only got half way through it and turned it off........it was just boring, that's all.

Matt Smith is not a good doctor.

The shine has rubbed of Karen Gillan, christ give me back Catherine Tate any day of the week.

I agree that the good doctor is doomed unless something drastic happens.
Old 29-01-2011, 10:40   #26
Dave9946
Inactive

Dave9946 is a jewel in the roughDave9946 is a jewel in the roughDave9946 is a jewel in the roughDave9946 is a jewel in the roughDave9946 is a jewel in the rough

I dont think any of the xmas specials have been anything like as good as episodes from the series. But is that not the point?. They are xmas specials they dont seem to be made like they are serious important episodes that are an important part of a continual series storyline etc. I dont think of them as anything other that the "light\fun" eps that you seem to get 1 a series for.
Dave9946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 15:52   #27
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

Don't forget that there's a mini Doctor Who adventure in this Friday's Comic Relief.

And as part of the build-up you can watch the first part of the original Comic Relief special, Doctor Who and the Curse of Fatal Death on the BBC's Doctor Who site. Part 1 is up now, with part 2 to be added tomorrow.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 16:25   #28
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Or watch the whole thing on Comic Relief's official YouTube page here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do-wDPoC6GM

---------- Post added at 15:25 ---------- Previous post was at 15:24 ----------

Also Time Crash is online too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I76p1cZbq4
Old 15-03-2011, 17:22   #29
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Its looking like an Easter weekend launch again this year although the BBC still haven't confirmed a date.

However it starts in the USA on the 23rd April so we will be a couple of weeks before that.
Old 15-03-2011, 17:24   #30
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/do...iere-date.html

Quote:
The next series of Doctor Who will premiere over the Easter weekend.

The first half of the show's sixth run will begin on BBC One on Saturday 23 April, according to Doctor Who Magazine.