Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ITV threaten to blackout on Virgin

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ITV threaten to blackout on Virgin

Old 23-02-2018, 13:18   #196
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: ITV threaten to blackout on Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Just as I have no use for the services councils maintain at the present or in the future (yes I have used them many years ago) I am fairly confident that you or someone else in your family has watched the BBC in the past even if you do not now.

The license fee is for having the ability to receive tv transmission, wether or not you use it. Presumably as you are on this forum you have this facility and as such you have to pay - end of.

The money collected just happens to go to the BBC - is this fair, not in my opinion - it should be shared amongst all broadcasters - but that is how it is
As I said above, I do watch the BBC. I just do not understand why people who do not watch it are forced to pay.

I have already pointed out that while you may not use some services carried out by the councils, you do benefit indirectly and you may benefit in the future as you have done in the past.

However, BBC is an entertainment service and if I don't want it I shouldn't have to pay for it. The BBC is not an essential service.

If TV transmission has to be paid for through a licence fee (not sure if it is) then there is no need to include in it the cost of running the BBC. To my mind, it's the broadcast channels that should be paying for the tv transmission fees.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-02-2018, 13:29   #197
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

The TV license fee is purely to keep the BBC running. It's about time the BBC stood on it's own 2 feet just like any other channel.

The BBC is a dinosaur past it's sell by date. Most original content shown now is produced by Independant companies commissioned by the Beeb.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 14:33   #198
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
The TV license fee is purely to keep the BBC running. It's about time the BBC stood on it's own 2 feet just like any other channel.

The BBC is a dinosaur past it's sell by date. Most original content shown now is produced by Independant companies commissioned by the Beeb.
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 14:39   #199
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
x2
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 23:32   #200
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:

It's no longer used solely to finance the BBC. The Government forced them to use independent companies, it was not by choice.
RichardCoulter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 09:17   #201
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 09:51   #202
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
So to stand on its own 2 feet that would mean the BBC advertising and an end to programming that doesn't make a profit?? It would just become ITV/Sky or any of the other rubbish channels, of which we have hundreds. More down market reality TV, less quality drama and documentaries.
It's not just 2 channels either it's several channels, plus it's radio, local and national, and the website. All provided without advertising, it would be hard to totally avoid using it. It comes out at about £12 a month, compared to Sky/VM it's a bargain, many of their channels are just repeating BBC content.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 10:45   #203
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
Sorry Dave.
Old 24-02-2018, 11:48   #204
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
So to stand on its own 2 feet that would mean the BBC advertising and an end to programming that doesn't make a profit?? It would just become ITV/Sky or any of the other rubbish channels, of which we have hundreds. More down market reality TV, less quality drama and documentaries.
It's not just 2 channels either it's several channels, plus it's radio, local and national, and the website. All provided without advertising, it would be hard to totally avoid using it. It comes out at about £12 a month, compared to Sky/VM it's a bargain, many of their channels are just repeating BBC content.

BBC already has far too much reality tv - so changing to an ITV type model shouldn't have any effect on that. Take your point re adverts, however as I always watch recordings of programs they don't bother me that much - just FF through them.

Point re £12 pm - even if you only watch sky which you pay for, you still have to pay the license fee - I am seriously surprised this hasn't been changed as it basically means BBC is state subsidised (is that legal within the EU?)
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 11:58   #205
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
BBC already has far too much reality tv - so changing to an ITV type model shouldn't have any effect on that. Take your point re adverts, however as I always watch recordings of programs they don't bother me that much - just FF through them.

Point re £12 pm - even if you only watch sky which you pay for, you still have to pay the license fee - I am seriously surprised this hasn't been changed as it basically means BBC is state subsidised (is that legal within the EU?)
State subsidy isn't allowed within the EU, but that doesn't mean the BBC is breaking the law, it means that you're wrong to describe the Licence Fee as a state subsidy. There is no law against incorporating a body by royal charter and granting it legal authority to collect fees from all citizens who meet set criteria. Local government works in a not dissimilar way.

I wouldn't be totally averse to adverts on the BBC per se, so long as there was a strict cap on advertising minutes per hour. The problem as I see it is that there is a finite amount of advertising spend among the UK's consumer brands and if the BBC starts hoovering it up, it will put a lot of smaller channels out of business.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 12:08   #206
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

I just don't believe people realise how much they use the BBC. Do they never use the BBC website, apps, iPlayer, sport, weather, radio? All these have licence fee funding.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 12:08   #207
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:

Its a bit more complicated than that. An article from 2015 but worth a read:
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/tony...b_6790818.html

Last edited by nodrogd; 24-02-2018 at 12:12.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 12:17   #208
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
I just don't believe people realise how much they use the BBC. Do they never use the BBC website, apps, iPlayer, sport, weather, radio? All these have licence fee funding.
Although I would not consider myself a big watcher of the BBC, I still consider the monthly fee good value for money.
IMO their Drama series are step ahead of most of the competition and most are worth a watch subject to taste.
I use a lot of BBC websites and sport coverage is very good considering they are priced out of many top sports.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 12:18   #209
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Personally we think the licence fee represents good value when you look at the scope of what the BBC actually does but alas quite a few others disagree and that is their prerogative.
Old 24-02-2018, 12:18   #210
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Common sense seems like it will prevail.
I was intrigued by the Telegraph's comment that VM was basically going to pirate a feed of ITV's channels into its cable network. Allegedly, of course.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote