Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ITV threaten to blackout on Virgin

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ITV threaten to blackout on Virgin

Old 25-02-2018, 11:09   #226
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: ITV threaten to blackout on Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
However, it doesn't have to be more expensive! Even with recent cuts, the BBC is very, very wasteful.
£12 a month to produce mostly original content, advert free plus all the extra service s the BBC provides is a steal.
Sky/VM charge 3 times plus that amount, for advert infested and imported crap. The little content they do produce is usually of inferior quality.
We need a state broadcaster, it's output is unique as its not influenced by profit/advertisers, it really would be a case of you'd miss it when its gone.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-02-2018, 11:19   #227
gba93
ofc.founder_member

Services: VIP 60
gba93 has reached the bronze age
gba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
£12 a month to produce mostly original content, advert free plus all the extra service s the BBC provides is a steal.
Sky/VM charge 3 times plus that amount, for advert infested and imported crap. The little content they do produce is usually of inferior quality.
We need a state broadcaster, it's output is unique as its not influenced by profit/advertisers, it really would be a case of you'd miss it when its gone.
Well put Mr K
gba93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 11:25   #228
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Sky basic package which includes sports mix (more sport in a week than BBC show in a month) is £22 pm - when I went to school this was less than 2 times 12 not more than 3 times.

It may be a steal in your opinion, I think what people are saying is that they should be able to choose whether to pay or not as they have with sky or virgin.

Personally, I am unsure if I would or not, there are a few things I watch on BBC but would it justify £12pm - that is the question.

Anyway, getting back on topic is there a definitive answer to the ITV blackout on virgin?
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 11:30   #229
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
No I wouldn't. I don't use it now so won't miss it if it goes. If it is so superior to anything else as you are inferring then there is no reason it cannot stand on it's own and turn a profit.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 13:36   #230
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I agree that Sky does not represent good value for money but that is not a reason to rubbish the idea of a subscription to replace the licence fee. Netflix is a much better example, with a wealth of good viewing at your fingertips and a couple or so complete new original series coming out every week all year round. They don't have advertisements either.

I'm not quite sure why you are pointing out that we'd miss the BBC if it was gone. Nobody has suggested the Corporation should disappear and I am certainly not advocating that.

---------- Post added at 13:36 ---------- Previous post was at 13:26 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Sky basic package which includes sports mix (more sport in a week than BBC show in a month) is £22 pm - when I went to school this was less than 2 times 12 not more than 3 times.

It may be a steal in your opinion, I think what people are saying is that they should be able to choose whether to pay or not as they have with sky or virgin.

Personally, I am unsure if I would or not, there are a few things I watch on BBC but would it justify £12pm - that is the question.

Anyway, getting back on topic is there a definitive answer to the ITV blackout on virgin?
The definitive answer is for ITV to back down on their ridiculous demand for Virgin to stump up the money they seem to think they have a right to.

If ITV want to make more money from Virgin, maybe they should think more along the lines of what additional services they can offer. Their catch up offering is crap, for example. Why don't they think more along the lines of a bespoke Netflix type platform with 30 day catch up of all their scheduled offerings, plus whole series of ITV original dramas, shows and other material for which they have the rights, uncluttered by adverts. ITV must have a huge archive of programming that many people would appreciate having easy access to. With a bit of imagination, they should be able to come up with some ideas like this that Virgin would be prepared to pay them for as an additional service to VM customers.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 14:27   #231
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

It was posted earlier in the thread before it exploded with talk of the BBC.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...es-war-virgin/
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 14:37   #232
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
It was posted earlier in the thread before it exploded with talk of the BBC.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...es-war-virgin/
Let's hope something good comes of this to the benefit of Virgin customers.
Old 25-02-2018, 16:01   #233
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Wow! What an entrenched point of view you do have!
I think I’ll just let this rest here for its ironic value.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 18:25   #234
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Please take away ITV then I won't have to sit in a room with people who love Dancing on ice.
Old 25-02-2018, 19:01   #235
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Please take away ITV then I won't have to sit in a room with people who love Dancing on ice.
Surely, you don't have to have ITV removed to extricate your self from watching that rubbish.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 19:06   #236
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Comedy gold.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 21:57   #237
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 22:36   #238
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
I've noted a spelling mistake here, Chris. In your penultimate word, the 'r' should have been a 'c'.
Old 27-02-2018, 09:52   #239
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Personally we think the licence fee represents good value when you look at the scope of what the BBC actually does but alas quite a few others disagree and that is their prerogative.
Yep, agreed. I know that BBC bashing is quite fashionable these days, and there's a lot more competition - but take away everything they provide and I suspect a few people would be rather surprised.
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 10:02   #240
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post
Yep, agreed. I know that BBC bashing is quite fashionable these days, and there's a lot more competition - but take away everything they provide and I suspect a few people would be rather surprised.
Not at all, if i don't use it how can i be surprised.

Anyway my point is i should have a choice and not be forced to pay because i own a TV. If i only watch SKY sports for instance and none of the BBC's products why should i have to pay a tax to the BBC when they had no input in the making of Sky's sports programs ???

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote