Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | I can't get emails.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service > Webspace, E-Mail & Browsing Issues

I can't get emails.

Old 09-09-2017, 17:09   #31
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: I can't get emails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philwhite100 View Post
Well it looks like we are a step closer to getting our issue resolved. At long last we spoke to someone at VM who was very helpful and promised to ring us back at a certain time and kept his promise.

It seems the email addresses got deleted in a contract change and the addresses are still on their server but we need to fill a form in and send it back to VM for them to reinstate the email addresses.

It beats me why on the previous 7 phone calls to VM that nobody else could have told us this.

I guess that most of the call centre staff don't view the broader picture and just get nowhere fast as a result.

Hats of to the gent that dealt with us to get it sorted.
Fingers crossed.

---------- Post added at 16:09 ---------- Previous post was at 16:03 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Just as an FyI, gmail will only import via POP3 - which is an old technology. It won't synchronise anything like read status or anything like that (So you'll possibly get a deluge of emails at first, dating back who knows how far) and if you have folders other than "inbox", it won't pull those in either. It also won't pull in your sent items.

It looks like a complicated setup, but it's more straightforward than you might think. In gmail, go into your settings, under "account and import" there's an option to add email accounts from elsewhere. It'll first ask what your email address is - so type that in. Next it'll ask you if you want to import those emails - you do, so click next. On the next screen it asks for your username and password- that's the same username and password you log into your emails with, so your email address is the username and your password is your password.

Below that it asks for the server to use - by default it'll say pop3.ntlworld.com but this is wrong, you need to select that, click "other" and type in pop3.virginmedia.com instead. Leave the "port" as 995 and look at the other options to decide how you want it to import. That's it.
Thanks very much. I'm sure a few folks will find that useful.

Just an update, I have had a look at the relevant accounts and realised that on the most important ones I'd already set them to forward incoming mail to one of my Hotmail accounts so I have that going back quite a few years. Over time the amount of important mail that's been getting fowarded has been very small as I've been replying to those emails from the Hotmail account they'd been forwarded to. So to cut a long story short, after deleting all the garbage in the old accounts there's not much that needs to be done except forward anything important which was incoming prior to me setting up the forwarding and mail I've sent from them which is very little thankfully.

Cheers guys.

Last edited by Osem; 09-09-2017 at 17:21.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-09-2017, 19:03   #32
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

What a disaster for some people
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 19:07   #33
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville View Post
What a disaster for some people
This often happens for people who use ISP email accounts, that is why i say never do this, always use something like Gmail or Outlook otherwise you may regret it in the future.

---------- Post added at 18:07 ---------- Previous post was at 18:06 ----------

Quote:
Well it looks like we are a step closer to getting our issue resolved. At long last we spoke to someone at VM who was very helpful and promised to ring us back at a certain time and kept his promise.

It seems the email addresses got deleted in a contract change and the addresses are still on their server but we need to fill a form in and send it back to VM for them to reinstate the email addresses.

It beats me why on the previous 7 phone calls to VM that nobody else could have told us this.

I guess that most of the call centre staff don't view the broader picture and just get nowhere fast as a result.

Hats of to the gent that dealt with us to get it sorted.
If you get this sorted i would recommend migrating away from an ISP for your emails.
Old 09-09-2017, 21:48   #34
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
This often happens for people who use ISP email accounts, that is why i say never do this, always use something like Gmail or Outlook otherwise you may regret it in the future.

---------- Post added at 18:07 ---------- Previous post was at 18:06 ----------

If you get this sorted i would recommend migrating away from an ISP for your emails.
I'd agree. I imagine these companies quite like having customers who won't want to change their internet provider because they have years worth of important emails in accounts they won't want to lose.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:51   #35
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
I'd agree. I imagine these companies quite like having customers who won't want to change their internet provider because they have years worth of important emails in accounts they won't want to lose.
One of the reasons I always get my mail through a client (Thunderbird) that way they are stored on my own machine and can be backed up with ease. Now that smtp authentication is active I can also send mail from the client on any net connection and then a record of the sent mail is also local.
Old 14-09-2017, 20:58   #36
philwhite100
This tastes nice

Services: TiVo V6 - 500mb -
philwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nice
Send a message via ICQ to philwhite100

Still not received the form I need to fill in so I got back on the phone to them again and it appears forms have been sent out with no address on them, what a stupid error on their part, how can something be posted without the recipients details on it, total screw up I'd say and another 1hour on the phone to them.
Old 14-09-2017, 21:40   #37
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Still not received the form I need to fill in so I got back on the phone to them again and it appears forms have been sent out with no address on them, what a stupid error on their part, how can something be posted without the recipients details on it, total screw up I'd say and another 1hour on the phone to them.
I don't imagine you'll be keen to stay with VM even if they sort this out. It sounds like a nightmare.
Old 17-09-2017, 12:41   #38
JPAC
cf.addict

JPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to all

This is all I ever get; http://store.virginmedia.com/unavailable.html
Sorry!
Your mailbox is not available at the moment.

Please retry again in one hour and make sure you are using the correct password to access your email from all of your devices.
JPAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 14:12   #39
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM Phone : Sky Mobile : Sky TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

If thats all you ever get then report the issue to them.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 00:07   #40
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

I'm now getting the opposite problem to the OP, I am receiving emails on my ntlworld accounts, but can't send any.

I wonder if VM are trying to force us to use their VM email address'?
Old 23-09-2017, 08:58   #41
philwhite100
This tastes nice

philwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nice

Still no documents received from VM it's a joke.
Old 08-09-2018, 15:26   #42
philwhite100
This tastes nice

Well here i am 12 months later and the email issue never go resolved so i gave up in the end.
Old 02-10-2018, 19:18   #43
JPAC
cf.addict

JPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to all

Weird, my VM emails arrived for 2.5 years but stopped June 2018. My new VM contract that needs e-signing but they have sent it elsewhere. VM say they will have it fixed today.

Just had an email from VM telling me it's fixed but myVM still has the wrong email addy. Oh well, try again tomorrow. webchat unavailable.

Last edited by JPAC; 02-10-2018 at 19:28.
Old 10-10-2018, 15:41   #44
JPAC
cf.addict

Re #43

Now sorted.