Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | I can't get emails.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service > Webspace, E-Mail & Browsing Issues

I can't get emails.

Old 01-09-2017, 21:54   #16
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: I can't get emails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Thanks. Will this work for the old ntlworld e.mail accounts I have dating from when we first got broadband?

Does the process copy messages both sent from and received by the old address?
I think you can add any email account as long as you can give its settings, not sure what it copies over other than the contents of the inbox.

You could always forward your sent emails to gmail anyway?
Old 01-09-2017, 21:59   #17
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I think you can add any email account as long as you can give its settings, not sure what it copies over other than the contents of the inbox.

You could always forward your sent emails to gmail anyway?
Thanks.

It's the 'settings' bit I'd be worried about as I have no idea which settings I would need or how to find them.

Yes forwarding them individually might take some time so I'd leave that as a last resort.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 22:12   #18
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Thanks.

It's the 'settings' bit I'd be worried about as I have no idea which settings I would need or how to find them.

Yes forwarding them individually might take some time so I'd leave that as a last resort.
Is it the ntlworld settings you need?

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...s/td-p/3199527
Old 02-09-2017, 19:54   #19
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Is it the ntlworld settings you need?

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...s/td-p/3199527
I really don't have any idea what settings I might need.

It's all gobbledegook to me but if it's set out clearly I can follow instructions exceptionally well. I guess I haven't tried it to see what I'm required to do and couldn't find anything on YouTube which relates to gathering ntlworld email. It seems pretty simple to get Hotmail emails into Gmail but it's the really old ntlworld stuff I'm concerned about. If necessary I'll just forward them all manually but I'd love to know if this can be done in batches or whether each mail has to be forwarded individually, in which case it could take some time...
Old 02-09-2017, 20:16   #20
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
I really don't have any idea what settings I might need.

It's all gobbledegook to me but if it's set out clearly I can follow instructions exceptionally well. I guess I haven't tried it to see what I'm required to do and couldn't find anything on YouTube which relates to gathering ntlworld email. It seems pretty simple to get Hotmail emails into Gmail but it's the really old ntlworld stuff I'm concerned about. If necessary I'll just forward them all manually but I'd love to know if this can be done in batches or whether each mail has to be forwarded individually, in which case it could take some time...
The link will have all the settings you need, very easy to do when you have to do it.
Old 02-09-2017, 20:43   #21
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
The link will have all the settings you need, very easy to do when you have to do it.
In my experience it's normally experts who say that.

If there's nothing to be lost by trying then I'm up for that. What I don't want is to have my old ntlworld emails lost in the ether forever or making them inaccessible.

A little knowledge is always a very dangerous thing and when it comes to techy stuff I'm happy to admit I'm in that category. What I am always very conscious of is mucking things up, if there's no risk of that then I'm happy to try.
Old 02-09-2017, 21:28   #22
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

You panic too much, you would be doing all this from inside Gmail so if it doesn't work it just means you enter a setting wrong, it won't harm your other email accounts.

Just try it rather than talking about it.

---------- Post added at 20:28 ---------- Previous post was at 19:57 ----------

Just tried importing from ntlworld.com to my gmail.

In Gmail click the cog in the right corner
Settings
Accounts and Import
Import mail and contacts
Put in the email you wish to import from
Email password

I left the pop3 settings alone, then clicked continue and you get a few choices on what you wish to do, with check boxes.

import mail
leave a copy of retrieved message on the server
archive incoming messages(skip the inbox)
add label to all imported emails(from email)

Then click start and it says it can take several hours to 2 days.

Last edited by SnoopZ; 02-09-2017 at 21:31.
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 21:49   #23
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
You panic too much, you would be doing all this from inside Gmail so if it doesn't work it just means you enter a setting wrong, it won't harm your other email accounts.

Just try it rather than talking about it.

---------- Post added at 20:28 ---------- Previous post was at 19:57 ----------

Just tried importing from ntlworld.com to my gmail.

In Gmail click the cog in the right corner
Settings
Accounts and Import
Import mail and contacts
Put in the email you wish to import from
Email password

I left the pop3 settings alone, then clicked continue and you get a few choices on what you wish to do, with check boxes.

import mail
leave a copy of retrieved message on the server
archive incoming messages(skip the inbox)
add label to all imported emails(from email)

Then click start and it says it can take several hours to 2 days.
Not panicking at all just worrying about unforseen circumstances that I can't deal with. Not meaning to quibble, but it's easy to say 'don't panic' to someone who doesn't know what they're doing. The internet is full of people in huge problems because they followed advice either without questioning it or did it wrong because they misunderstood things which to some are simple but to others are far from it. This is the very reason I never touch registry settings.

That being said, I'm happy to try it if I can't damage anything so will report back in due course. That's the main assurance I wanted as I can't afford to lose that old mail. If it doesn't work and I have to resort to forwarding the mail manually so be it. TVM
Old 03-09-2017, 13:11   #24
philwhite100
This tastes nice

Services: TiVo V6 - 500mb -
philwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nice
Send a message via ICQ to philwhite100

Quote:
Thanks. Will this work for the old ntlworld e.mail accounts I have dating from when we first got broadband?

Does the process copy messages both sent from and received by the old address?
This won't work because the email accounts have been deleted by VM so i can't access something that does not exist!

We have spent more time on the phone to VM and still not getting anywhere.
I can't even create new email accounts using @virginmedia.com as a last resort.
Old 05-09-2017, 17:04   #25
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by philwhite100 View Post
This won't work because the email accounts have been deleted by VM so i can't access something that does not exist!

We have spent more time on the phone to VM and still not getting anywhere.
Sorry, but I wasn't replying to your problem or suggesting it as a solution, I was just trying to clarify how to get emails from old Virgin accounts without manually forwarding them.

I appreciate you can't do that, however, if the accounts have been deleted. Hope you can find a solution to this though.
Old 05-09-2017, 19:43   #26
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM Phone : Sky Mobile : Sky TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by philwhite100 View Post
I would suggest that if your last resort is to create new accounts then you dont make the same mistake again (using VM e-mail) - use a non ISP linked provider.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:23   #27
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

"We are aware of an issue thats affecting our customers accessing their Virgin Media email accounts via Webmail. Customers can still access their email accounts via a mail app on a phone or tablet or with software on a computer such as Outlook

We have identified the problem and an engineer is on their way.

Fix estimate 08 September 17:45"
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:48   #28
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Sorry, but I wasn't replying to your problem or suggesting it as a solution, I was just trying to clarify how to get emails from old Virgin accounts without manually forwarding them.

I appreciate you can't do that, however, if the accounts have been deleted. Hope you can find a solution to this though.
Just as an FyI, gmail will only import via POP3 - which is an old technology. It won't synchronise anything like read status or anything like that (So you'll possibly get a deluge of emails at first, dating back who knows how far) and if you have folders other than "inbox", it won't pull those in either. It also won't pull in your sent items.

It looks like a complicated setup, but it's more straightforward than you might think. In gmail, go into your settings, under "account and import" there's an option to add email accounts from elsewhere. It'll first ask what your email address is - so type that in. Next it'll ask you if you want to import those emails - you do, so click next. On the next screen it asks for your username and password- that's the same username and password you log into your emails with, so your email address is the username and your password is your password.

Below that it asks for the server to use - by default it'll say pop3.ntlworld.com but this is wrong, you need to select that, click "other" and type in pop3.virginmedia.com instead. Leave the "port" as 995 and look at the other options to decide how you want it to import. That's it.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 19:14   #29
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Go on Osem give it a go. If I can do it anyone can do it.

signed .... the self confessed Timeous Beastie.

Old 09-09-2017, 15:08   #30
philwhite100
This tastes nice

Services: TiVo V6 - 500mb -
philwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nice
Send a message via ICQ to philwhite100

Well it looks like we are a step closer to getting our issue resolved. At long last we spoke to someone at VM who was very helpful and promised to ring us back at a certain time and kept his promise.

It seems the email addresses got deleted in a contract change and the addresses are still on their server but we need to fill a form in and send it back to VM for them to reinstate the email addresses.

It beats me why on the previous 7 phone calls to VM that nobody else could have told us this.

I guess that most of the call centre staff don't view the broader picture and just get nowhere fast as a result.

Hats of to the gent that dealt with us to get it sorted.