Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Crisis in the NHS

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Crisis in the NHS

Old 24-01-2018, 11:26   #421
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
Re: Crisis in the NHS

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
What happened to that old fashioned value of applying clear normal common sense?.
Red tape and the compensation culture.
Advertisement
Old 24-01-2018, 11:59   #422
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

We recently recruited a nurse, 2 months down the line she's still working on her ward the reason being the current ward she works on is so busy and short of staff the manager wont release the reference needed in order to work on our ward.

HR have had to get involved.
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 22:50   #423
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/society/...P=share_btn_fb

Don't see this improving the situation.
Theresa May's focus on immigration number-counting at the expense of our hard-pressed NHS is clearly demonstrated by this.

She should know that UKIP's a spent force and she can now safely put the NHS before immigration red tape box-ticking.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 08:45   #424
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Theresa May's focus on immigration number-counting at the expense of our hard-pressed NHS is clearly demonstrated by this.

She should know that UKIP's a spent force and she can now safely put the NHS before immigration red tape box-ticking.
Add on top of that is that NHS hospitals facing serious shortages of vital equipment as well.

Quote:
Hospitals are suffering serious shortages of vital medical equipment such as ventilators, pumps to administer drugs, and oxygen cylinders during the NHS’s ongoing winter crisis, the Guardian can reveal.
Quote:
Doctors’ and nurses’ leaders voiced alarm at the revelations.
“I’ve heard from several colleagues in acute medicine that their trusts have significant shortages of essential equipment such as bilevel positive airway [BiPaP] ventilators, which are needed in this surge of respiratory illness and IT kit – computers – on extra-capacity wards needed to complete patient records and proceed with [giving] care,” said Dr Nick Scriven, the president of the Society for Acute Medicine.
Advertisement

“I have also heard about a lack of basic items on extra wards such as blood tubes and cannulae, as well as beds, pillows and bedsheets. When staff have to urgently re-open areas [as temporary wards] and there is literally no kit then there is a panic procurement.”
https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ital-equipment
Old 25-01-2018, 09:43   #425
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
What happened to that old fashioned value of applying clear normal common sense?.
that disappeared after a certain vote a couple of years ago. The public only have themselves to blame.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 10:57   #426
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Common sense with civil servants?
Old 25-01-2018, 11:54   #427
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Common sense with civil servants?
Civil servants are an easy and lazy scapegoat. It's the politicians and the people that vote them in that make the money decisions.

Boris accidentally went into an NHS hospital this week and saw how it was for the plebs. Even he was shocked into telling it how it was, only to get sent to naughty step.... Poor Boris.
Old 25-01-2018, 12:17   #428
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Civil servants are an easy and lazy scapegoat. It's the politicians and the people that vote them in that make the money decisions.

Boris accidentally went into an NHS hospital this week and saw how it was for the plebs. Even he was shocked into telling it how it was, only to get sent to naughty step.... Poor Boris.
Yep politicians are very good at making sure other scapegoats get the blame when the heat is on as they either quickly do the old quick disappearing act or conveniently go out of the country for a few days until the flak dies down.
Old 25-01-2018, 14:41   #429
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post

Yes, well our Theresa is not a one-trick pony, and you are forgetting that a lot of people have expressed concerns about the unsustainable level of immigration.

I think I am right in saying that employers can make a case for employing more people from overseas. It was certainly the case just a few years ago, so maybe the NHS have mucked up.

Easier to blame the government, I suppose.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 25-01-2018 at 14:46.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 17:55   #430
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

My daughter had an appointment to see a Diabetes Opthalmist last November. It was cancelled with a week to go, and moved to February.

Last week a letter arrived to move that to April.

3 days later another letter said that was moved to July.

Today that has been postponed by phone to September!

---------- Post added at 17:55 ---------- Previous post was at 16:58 ----------

All the NHS nurses I know have left the NHS and returned as agency nurses at much higher rates of pay and better hours.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 18:26   #431
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Yes, well our Theresa is not a one-trick pony, and you are forgetting that a lot of people have expressed concerns about the unsustainable level of immigration.

She ain't my Theresa in exactly the same way as he ain't my Jeremy either as both are pretty useless IMO.

---------- Post added at 18:26 ---------- Previous post was at 18:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Easier to blame the government, I suppose.
Well they are the incumbents just like any other party that would be in power and as such people are entitled to have a go at them as if any of the other parties were in power so don't tell me that you would not be blaming them for many a thing.
Old 25-01-2018, 19:16   #432
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
She ain't my Theresa in exactly the same way as he ain't my Jeremy either as both are pretty useless IMO.

---------- Post added at 18:26 ---------- Previous post was at 18:22 ----------

Well they are the incumbents just like any other party that would be in power and as such people are entitled to have a go at them as if any of the other parties were in power so don't tell me that you would not be blaming them for many a thing.
People are not 'entitled' to blame the wrong people, Den.

If there's a rule that says an employer can apply for an exemption but the employer doesn't use it, then the fault lies with the employer. Blame the government if you like, but that makes one look a bit daft, don't you think?
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 20:31   #433
RizzyKing

Well recently i got to meet my new rheumatologist as my old one an absolutely excellent doctor has retired from the NHS though continues privately and over all the years i have dealt with consultants they always have their preferred medications to treat conditions never before had i had a consultant who stopped a treatment on the grounds of it couldn't be justified financially and other treatments may have to stop as well and offered no alternative. I'm no longer discussing the effect of immigration on the NHS as apparently I'm an ignorant racist which must be true as it was a late teens multi pierced girl telling me at the sametime as wishing my demise would speedup so the young people of this country who were the only one's who had a clue could start fixing everything. It was ironic at the time as i was lamenting at the loss of my asian doctor while stating what a good and honourable man i felt he was.
Old 25-01-2018, 21:21   #434
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
Originally Posted by RizzyKing View Post
Well recently i got to meet my new rheumatologist as my old one an absolutely excellent doctor has retired from the NHS though continues privately and over all the years i have dealt with consultants they always have their preferred medications to treat conditions never before had i had a consultant who stopped a treatment on the grounds of it couldn't be justified financially and other treatments may have to stop as well and offered no alternative. I'm no longer discussing the effect of immigration on the NHS as apparently I'm an ignorant racist which must be true as it was a late teens multi pierced girl telling me at the sametime as wishing my demise would speedup so the young people of this country who were the only one's who had a clue could start fixing everything. It was ironic at the time as i was lamenting at the loss of my asian doctor while stating what a good and honourable man i felt he was.
So what you're saying is immigration has been beneficial to the NHS? I agree, we'd be stuffed without it.
Old 25-01-2018, 21:58   #435
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Mr K conveniently forgetting there is a WORLD WIDE shortage of nurses as recognised by the W.H.O.

They pinpoint specifically....

Quote:
A worldwide shortage of nurses has been acknowledged by the multidisciplinary Global Advisory Group of the World Health Organization. The shortage is caused by an increased demand for nurses, while fewer people are choosing nursing as a profession and the current nurses worldwide are aging.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12817393

And this was an issue over a decade ago, probably much worse now. Go figure.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote