Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Where can I get a Wii?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Nintendo Games Systems
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Where can I get a Wii?

Old 28-12-2006, 23:16   #46
NEONKNIGHT

Question Re: Where can I get a Wii before Jan 4th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
Heh, our Wii got a lot of playing with today... my son and I had a blast playing Wii Sports this morning, and this afternoon my sister, my mother and my missus joined in playing boxing and bowling too.

Not seen so many non-gamers be so fascinated by a console ever before - Ninty really have achieved something special with this.

Gonna be testing out Wii Play and Zelda tomorrow
I don't want to be a party-pooper here but I'm wondering how long the 'novelty' will last with the Wii (as in the motion control) ? I'm a Ninty fan, especially the Zelda series and would love to play the new game but I'm just not so sure about the Wii console to be honest, seems more of a fad at the moment.
Advertisement
Old 29-12-2006, 10:45   #47
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Where can I get a Wii before Jan 4th

Dunno, mate... I guess only time will tell. So far, though, I'm loving using the Wiimote. Zelda takes on a whole new meaning when you're using the remote instead of a conventional d-pad. Firing from a slingshot, or swinging Link's sword, or casting the fishing rod... they really do feel more 'natural' to use.

Similarly, playing Wii Sports feels completely different to normal sports games - all of the games really complement the Wiimote. Hopefully this will continue with the forthcoming games - golf in Wii Sports is great although it lacks a bit of depth, but Tiger Woods should hopefully fill that gap.

I'm not so much worried about the Wiimote being just a fad, as there are loads of games for which it should lend itself really well. If anything, I think the cut-down graphics capabilities might eventually be its downfall. Although I always prefer gameplay over graphics, I'm not sure if the lack of HD-quality graphics might be its downfall in a couple of years when LCDs & plasmas are more common. Saying that, the Wii has proven so popular in my family amongst those who couldn't normally care less about gaming that the lack of HD-graphics won't even cross their minds.

The Wii will never replace the PS3 or 360, but at least now people consider it as a 3rd next-gen console. I see it co-existing with them rather than competing directly against them. If Ninty had just tried to compete technologically with Sony & MS then I think they would have fallen at the first hurdle.

ps - Wii Play isn't much cop... billiards and cow racing are fun, but it's only really useful for learning to control the Wiimote (which is pretty intuitive anyway). If it didn't come with a free Wiimote, then I'd definitely not recommend buying it.
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2006, 10:49   #48
zing_deleted

For me its wont be a fad for me those awful controllers with far to many buttons and massively restricted range of movement have nothing but "novelty" value for me.
I bought an xbox and a ps2 when they were new the xbox was sold to a mate who wanted a dvd player and the ps2 went back to game after 20 minutes of playing Medal Of Honor Frontline it was just plain awful to use after the freedom of a mouse
Old 29-12-2006, 11:11   #49
dtweek
Inactive

dtweek is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deal/14503...o-wii-in-stock they've got some in stock. Just ordered. Being delivered on Weds!!! retail price
dtweek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2006, 12:18   #50
scrotnig
cf.mega poster

scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal
scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal

What's a Wii?

I'm guessing it's something to do with gaming which is probably why I don't know.

Despite being reasonably technically aware and good with PCs, the whole world of gaming is like an alien landscape to me...pun intended....and I have singularly failed to get even remotely excited by any of it. I feel like a Luddite at times.
Old 29-12-2006, 13:26   #51
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrotnig View Post
What's a Wii?

I'm guessing it's something to do with gaming which is probably why I don't know.

Despite being reasonably technically aware and good with PCs, the whole world of gaming is like an alien landscape to me...pun intended....and I have singularly failed to get even remotely excited by any of it. I feel like a Luddite at times.
Its the Nintendo Wii. Ninty's new console that has a motion sensored controller. eg playing golf you swing the controller as if you are taking a real swing.

Its a brill little console.
Old 29-12-2006, 14:47   #52
ikthius
Inactive

Services: anything for a new job
ikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronze
ikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtweek View Post
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deal/14503...o-wii-in-stock they've got some in stock. Just ordered. Being delivered on Weds!!! retail price
out of stock now dude

ik
ikthius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 13:09   #53
skyblueheroes
Inactive

Services: Sky+ & Pipex 8mb ADSL
skyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appeal
skyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to skyblueheroes

Just managed to get one from Woolworths. Apparently delivery on Monday. Will let you know !
skyblueheroes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 17:01   #54
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Nice one, Sky You and the missus are gonna love it.

ebuyer.com are having more in on Monday, according to the Mod on their forums.
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 17:54   #55
kronas
Inactive

kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze
kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze

yep woolies, comet, john lewis all had deliveries, supply is getting better, so if you want one just hunt around!
kronas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 18:04   #56
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEONKNIGHT View Post
I don't want to be a party-pooper here but I'm wondering how long the 'novelty' will last with the Wii (as in the motion control) ? I'm a Ninty fan, especially the Zelda series and would love to play the new game but I'm just not so sure about the Wii console to be honest, seems more of a fad at the moment.
The control is also very good at playing other games, you forget about the montion sensing as a new feature and it becomes secound nature. Its very natural. Zelda you have the controls pointing off screen and using them without thinking much like you do with normal controls. The fact the control is spilt with the numchuck in one hand means you can keep your hands quite far apart.

It makes for a fun way to play when the motion is needed but also a more natual and comfy way to play when your not using motion.

Its not a noverty, it plays normal, long, serious games with better controls than the GC.

---------- Post added at 18:04 ---------- Previous post was at 18:01 ----------

Quote:
I'm not so much worried about the Wiimote being just a fad, as there are loads of games for which it should lend itself really well. If anything, I think the cut-down graphics capabilities might eventually be its downfall. Although I always prefer gameplay over graphics, I'm not sure if the lack of HD-quality graphics might be its downfall in a couple of years when LCDs & plasmas are more common. Saying that, the Wii has proven so popular in my family amongst those who couldn't normally care less about gaming that the lack of HD-graphics won't even cross their minds.
The DS is low powered compared to the DS and does well. I do not think the graphics will be a problem as it plays different games and will find a market among people not playing games (like you, my whole family played the wii and enjoyed it. Some of them are quite odd and never even looked at games before). Also as a secound console. I will be getting a 360 alongside this to play those kind of high graphic games.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 19:42   #57
skyblueheroes
Inactive

skyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appeal

I registered on Wii stock and got an email. I was on within 2 mins and ordered.
Old 04-01-2007, 19:51   #58
ikthius
Inactive

Services: anything for a new job
ikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronze
ikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblueheroes View Post
what was the link?

ik
ikthius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 20:09   #59
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblueheroes View Post
Just a question, I was wondering why do you have the symbol of the 101st airborne as your avatar?
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 21:14   #60
skyblueheroes
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikthius View Post
what was the link?

ik
http://wii.stocknetwork.co.uk/

---------- Post added at 21:14 ---------- Previous post was at 21:13 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Just a question, I was wondering why do you have the symbol of the 101st airborne as your avatar?
Dunno really. Into war games and enjoy war films and programmes. Read all about the 101st too.