Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 29-06-2013, 10:21   #2296
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
And far more expensive as well dear chap.
I don't know Den, I think Itshim has a very valid point. It's getting very expensive to stay in the house to watch the game.

SKY Sports is going to be about £29.00 per month after SKY's next price increase. £36.00 if you take it in HD. If BT Sports doesn't go into XL, and costs between £12.00 to £15.00 per month, that's almost £600.00 per year to catch all the action.

Whilst going to see top level teams in England and Scotland is pretty expensive, there are plenty of cheaper options if you just want to get out to see a game every second week. Within a 15 miles radius of where I live I could get a season ticket for Falkirk for £225.00, a season ticket for Livingston for £250.00 or a season ticket for Dunfermline for £215.00. Because the grounds are so close, and I know where all the free parking is next to the grounds, I would be less than £100.00 in travel costs for the whole season.

I could honestly buy a season ticket for one of these clubs, buy their home top, buy a scarf, travel back and forth to each game, buy a program each week, buy a pie and bovril all for under £600.00. Falkirk even do parent & child season ticket for £250.00.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-06-2013, 10:30   #2297
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
I don't know Den, I think Itshim has a very valid point. It's getting very expensive to stay in the house to watch the game.

SKY Sports is going to be about £29.00 per month after SKY's next price increase. £36.00 if you take it in HD. If BT Sports doesn't go into XL, and costs between £12.00 to £15.00 per month, that's almost £600.00 per year to catch all the action.

Whilst going to see top level teams in England and Scotland is pretty expensive, there are plenty of cheaper options if you just want to get out to see a game every second week. Within a 15 miles radius of where I live I could get a season ticket for Falkirk for £225.00, a season ticket for Livingston for £250.00 or a season ticket for Dunfermline for £215.00. Because the grounds are so close, and I know where all the free parking is next to the grounds, I would be less than £100.00 in travel costs for the whole season.

I could honestly buy a season ticket for one of these clubs, buy their home top, buy a scarf, travel back and forth to each game, buy a program each week, buy a pie and bovril all for under £600.00. Falkirk even do parent & child season ticket for £250.00.
Yes, but you can watch la liga, italian and germany leagues.

Add to that all the other sports, it becomes a big package to watch

English premiership is the main bait for many..but not the only bit

I add the ryder cup, lions tour etc etc

European games (europa and champions league)

Cup games

And if really bored, there are a few scottiah games
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 10:39   #2298
johnasimmons
cf.mega poster

Services: 500mb, Full House (with Sky Sports & Movies, BT Sports and ViaPlay), 1 TiVo, 1 V6, iPhone 14 Pro Max
johnasimmons has reached the bronze age
johnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze age

Well, it is July in 2 days so we should hear something about getting/not getting BT Sport in the next few weeks...
johnasimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 10:41   #2299
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

You're bang on. Even St Johnstone who are the 3rd best team in Scotland and playing in Europe (for a fortnight) for the 2nd season in a row do a parent and 2 child ticket for £250....fair enough it's behind the goal but all season tickets include 2 children 12 and under. My ticket costs £330 for the main stand but the east stand is only £295 and both those tickets allow the holder to take any 2 under 12s they want . Even the pay on the gate price for all stands (including away) include 2 12 and unders for free.

Drop down division and the prices get very reasonable (unless you're a Dundee fan). Even in England as soon as you drop away from the crazy top to leagues season tickets are around the £350 mark and the on the gate prices are about the same as the SPL.

But I guess the argument is that with the sports channels you get other sports as well as football. Must be a kick in the teeth if you're an VM customer and an F1 fan having to pay nearly £40 a month to watch the few races that aren't on the BBC.
mike_gain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 11:46   #2300
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

My season ticket at Palace was a shade over £400. Premier League football in London. A recent piece in the Daily Mail criticised us for having more expensive season tickets than Man City - meaning presumably that it's possible to watch one of the best teams in the country every week for significantly less than it would cost you to subscribe to Sky Sports for a year. Anyone who has to choose and decides to plough their money, and their vocal support, into their club has my complete respect, and it doesn't necessarily follow that it's the most expensive option, either.
Old 29-06-2013, 12:12   #2301
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
My season ticket at Palace was a shade over £400. Premier League football in London. A recent piece in the Daily Mail criticised us for having more expensive season tickets than Man City - meaning presumably that it's possible to watch one of the best teams in the country every week for significantly less than it would cost you to subscribe to Sky Sports for a year. Anyone who has to choose and decides to plough their money, and their vocal support, into their club has my complete respect, and it doesn't necessarily follow that it's the most expensive option, either.
I think you have to take into account the numerious other sports that Sky cover when considering costs it is not soley about football. As my avatar shows I am a bigger fan of the NFL than of the EPL, I also enjoy golf and International Rugby. So for me Sky represents good value. During the summer I will be watching Eurosport and the their great covereage of Le tour. For me Eurosport is a major reason to take xl tv.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 12:46   #2302
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
I think you have to take into account the numerious other sports that Sky cover when considering costs it is not soley about football. As my avatar shows I am a bigger fan of the NFL than of the EPL, I also enjoy golf and International Rugby. So for me Sky represents good value. During the summer I will be watching Eurosport and the their great covereage of Le tour. For me Eurosport is a major reason to take xl tv.
Yup (except grid iron doesn't do much for me)

I love football, and get sky for that. But if that was all they had, i'm not sure I would get ti. But add in all the other sports, it becomes value. Or to be precise, value to me.
Old 29-06-2013, 13:16   #2303
cdf90
Inactive

Services: XL Pack + HD, Sky Sports + Movies + HD, Netflix, 100mb BB, Talk Unlimited
cdf90 will become famous soon enoughcdf90 will become famous soon enoughcdf90 will become famous soon enough

Posted on DigitalSpy, price increases for Sky customers:
Quote:
Sky Entertainment...no change

Sky Entertainment Extra or Extra + will rise by 50p

Sky Sports 1 or 2 ...no change

Sky Sports 1 and 2 will rise by £1

All movie packages....no change

HD pack....no change

Multi room will rise by £1
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showp...7&postcount=60

So according to that, all the SS channels will be £22pm
cdf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 13:20   #2304
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdf90 View Post

As a SKY customer those prices will be applicable to me. Must admit, not as bad as I feared.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 13:33   #2305
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Drop down division and the prices get very reasonable (unless you're a Dundee fan).
Ouch!
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 13:34   #2306
colin25
Inactive

Quote:
As a SKY customer those prices will be applicable to me. Must admit, not as bad as I feared.
Yes, I agree. Not as many feared

And BT sports for free...all sounds good
Old 29-06-2013, 14:27   #2307
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Much better than I feared , my increase will be £2.50 I can certainly live with that.
Quote:

Didn't someone on here say the Sky Sports increase on VM was by £3.25 ?
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 14:41   #2308
colin25
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Much better than I feared , my increase will be £2.50 I can certainly live with that.

Virgin add a little bit..seasoning
Old 29-06-2013, 14:50   #2309
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post

Not abd for me at all. Alot better than i had first thought. £2.50 ectra a month isnt too bad. Of course i would have wished no rise but that would never happens so not too bad
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 15:17   #2310
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

"And far more expensive as well dear chap."

Any match is MORE fun than sitting watching them on TV . Well at least if its Rugby , Football ( American -sorry ) or baseball hi even softball!!!