Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 12:29   #4966
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Really? That's not what I am hearing on the street.
Is that the street that consist of clones of Old Boys who think what Old Boy thinks and agree with everything Old Boy says.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:30   #4967
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Is that the street that consist of clones of Old Boys who think what Old Boy thinks and agree with everything Old Boy says.
You've only got to read the posts on these forums to know that being tied into contracts is a common complaint. You don't get that with SVOD services. Are you challenging that for some curious reason, Den?
Old 09-03-2019, 12:31   #4968
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:

It will happen, but in the meantime, enjoy the mediocraty.
Open your eyes as you might be surprised what good quality stuff you can find on the Linear channels as it won't bite you know....
Old 09-03-2019, 12:34   #4969
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Open your eyes as you might be surprised what good quality stuff you can find on the Linear channels as it won't bite you know....
Do you have the time to hunt out these alleged little nuggets? I scour the schedules every week, and the good stuff is much harder to find these days.

Whereas on Netflix and Amazon, my watch list on both is huge.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:46   #4970
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Do you have the time to hunt out these alleged little nuggets? I scour the schedules every week, and the good stuff is much harder to find these days.

Whereas on Netflix and Amazon, my watch list on both is huge.
I don’t believe you do. Perhaps your watch list on Netflix wouldn’t be so large if you more effectively utilised your time.
Old 09-03-2019, 15:14   #4971
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

I don't doubt there are marvellous programmes on Netflix and Amazon . . . if only you can find it amongst the vast amount of foreign material with subtitles and some with dubious acting skills. There is just too much for an ordinary person who just wishes to relax to wade through. How much better to sit down and enjoy the recordings that you have previously requested on the V6.
Old 09-03-2019, 16:00   #4972
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I don’t believe you do. Perhaps your watch list on Netflix wouldn’t be so large if you more effectively utilised your time.
Well, I can assure you that I do. I scrutinise my TV and Satellite Week every week, but I do set the bar reasonably high compared with some people. Even my wife doesn't watch the soaps these days and we tend only to draw programmes from the HD channels.

There are plenty of programmes to choose from, but when you look at the actual content, it leaves much to be desired. On Netflix and Amazon, I have selected many different programmes that look pretty good to me, and I am choosy about what I watch.

If you like watching stuff over and over, or if you like the kind of weak drama series associated with a bygone age like Poirot, Murder, She Wrote, Heartbeat and Agatha Christie, then I see why you would be content with that. However, it beats me why such individuals say they can't find anything on Netflix. The streaming services seem to have a huge range of dramas which cover all tastes, including those who go for mediocrity.

I do agree that if sport is your staple diet, traditional linear TV would be the best option for you currently.
Old 09-03-2019, 16:02   #4973
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
You've only got to read the posts on these forums to know that being tied into contracts is a common complaint.
The long contracts are there to cover the (substantial) cost of the installation and the equipment, not the content. You can vary your content every month if you want to, but you still need the equipment to watch it on.
Old 09-03-2019, 18:16   #4974
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Well, I can assure you that I do. I scrutinise my TV and Satellite Week every week, but I do set the bar reasonably high compared with some people. Even my wife doesn't watch the soaps these days and we tend only to draw programmes from the HD channels.

There are plenty of programmes to choose from, but when you look at the actual content, it leaves much to be desired. On Netflix and Amazon, I have selected many different programmes that look pretty good to me, and I am choosy about what I watch.

If you like watching stuff over and over, or if you like the kind of weak drama series associated with a bygone age like Poirot, Murder, She Wrote, Heartbeat and Agatha Christie, then I see why you would be content with that. However, it beats me why such individuals say they can't find anything on Netflix. The streaming services seem to have a huge range of dramas which cover all tastes, including those who go for mediocrity.

I do agree that if sport is your staple diet, traditional linear TV would be the best option for you currently.
What a completely condescending post , I watch quality while the rest of you minions watch junk.
Old 09-03-2019, 18:32   #4975
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
What a completely condescending post , I watch quality while the rest of you minions watch junk.
He obviously lives in a completely different world to us common plebs.
Old 09-03-2019, 18:42   #4976
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

He knows it’s rubbish yet buys a magazine to tell him this. More fool him.

For the rest of us in the real world, by literally any measure going, the most watched content is available on Sky/Virgin/BT. As has been pointed out by others when you sign into Netflix there’s a huge range of repeat content that has been shown on other channels previously.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:39   #4977
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
He knows it’s rubbish yet buys a magazine to tell him this. More fool him.

For the rest of us in the real world, by literally any measure going, the most watched content is available on Sky/Virgin/BT. As has been pointed out by others when you sign into Netflix there’s a huge range of repeat content that has been shown on other channels previously.
Well, clearly, they show such content because some people like that. But there's plenty of other stuff to choose from which is new and exclusive to Netflix. It's the good new stuff that we seem to be lacking on the standard channels these days.

---------- Post added at 11:12 ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
The long contracts are there to cover the (substantial) cost of the installation and the equipment, not the content. You can vary your content every month if you want to, but you still need the equipment to watch it on.
I understand that and I am not criticising Virgin or Sky for tying people into contracts, that's perfectly understandable given the cost of the equipment. I was really pointing out the advantage to the consumer in subscribing to the streaming services only. That does provide some flexibility to subscribe to services for periods that are sensible for you, enabling people to see content on different services with only one subscription at any one time.

---------- Post added at 11:38 ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1948uk View Post
I don't doubt there are marvellous programmes on Netflix and Amazon . . . if only you can find it amongst the vast amount of foreign material with subtitles and some with dubious acting skills. There is just too much for an ordinary person who just wishes to relax to wade through. How much better to sit down and enjoy the recordings that you have previously requested on the V6.
Really? Were you looking in the 'foreign' section?

How is it easier to scroll through the EPG to find programmes to record than set up your watch list?

---------- Post added at 11:39 ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 ----------

Quote:
My post didn't mention junk. But I do watch quality!
Old 10-03-2019, 13:03   #4978
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Things you deem quality that's not to say other people deem it the same.
Old 10-03-2019, 13:15   #4979
jfman
Architect of Ideas

So it doesn’t matter how popular programming is, or how much people are willing to pay to watch it to Sky or other providers, only Old Boy knows what quality television is.

By chance quality television is almost always only available on streaming services which, for five years, Old Boy has been telling us will be the future.
Old 10-03-2019, 13:38   #4980
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Things you deem quality that's not to say other people deem it the same.
Indeed one man's meat is another man's poison....