Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Plane Spotters Corner

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Plane Spotters Corner

Old 20-04-2009, 11:38   #61
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Re: Plane Spotters Corner

And here is this morning's Emirates A380 from JFK to Dubai passing over my house at 39,000 ft

a380-2.jpg
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-04-2009, 12:00   #62
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Just been for a few days in Anglesey so thought I'd sit on the sand-dunes watching a hawk or two tking off..

Lo and behold sat on the closest taxi-way (near the fire training aircraft) was a typhoon being worked on (we think he'd come in about an hour earlier with some sort of issue he wanted checking out before continuing on his way...

Anyway after about 30 minutes they started him up, gave him the thumbs up and he taxied to the far end of the runway, throttled up and lifted cleanly off, all of a sudden exactly in line with where we where sitting on the dunes he just went from 50ft, put his plane vertical and climbed right above us into the clouds...an amazing sight and not NOP for a take-off from valley (I used to be based there many years ago| The only thing I can think of is that he was watching us sat there and thought he'd put on a small display

Do have a pic on the mobile of him on the tarmac will try to post it up later
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 18:42   #63
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Sounds good. Wish I'd been there.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2009, 10:35   #64
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Talking about photo oppurtunities...

After 9/11 I think someone should have at least mentioned this one before the event!!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8021830.stm
Old 28-04-2009, 11:36   #65
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

I am off to Canada - Nova Scotia on Saturday. You can see most of the transatlantic planes from there, unfortunately they're too high to identify!
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:53   #66
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

See how good you are with managing planes for takeoff and landing in this little game.
It's easy on 1 runway but wait til you get 3 or 4 to deal with....

http://www.bigfatsimulations.com/airportMadness2.html

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 13:23   #67
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
See how good you are with managing planes for takeoff and landing in this little game.

Nice little game that, thanks
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 14:33   #68
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post

Git I'm gonna be on that for hours
Old 03-05-2009, 15:11   #69
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Services: 10Mb BB, DTV & Phone
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny star
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny star

http://www.swansea.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=29347

Wales National Air Show

Swansea Bay, 11 - 12 July 2009

Swansea Bay is the setting for the highlight of the Festival calendar when the Red Arrows headline in Wales's premier air show. The festival will be jam-packed with amazing aerial displays and lots on the ground to explore and entertain too.

The show is free to watch and includes the one and only Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, the unstoppable Royal Air Force Typhoon Eurofighter and the Royal Navy's crack helicopter team the Black Cats and more.
Delta Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 18:46   #70
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Interesting visitor to Manchester today. Libyan Air Cargo AN124 Ruslan. Picking stuff up to take to Chad (I didn't ask what it was). Shame it was a really nasty, murky day.

an124-1.jpg
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:15   #71
Kymmy
Inactive

After someone else just asked where to find the ATC sim I thought I'd have a look for the one I used to play.. Eventually found it

So for the more serious ATC geek (Gawd I nearly became one as I had a choice of ATC when I joined the RAF as my 2nd choice, but my first choice came through)

http://www.atc-sim.com/
Old 06-05-2009, 18:13   #72
Earl of Bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
The only thing I can think of is that he was watching us sat there and thought he'd put on a small display
No display, sorry.

When Typhoon takes off, it's SOP to climb at 70 - 80 deg because the engines are so powerful. If there was a problem on take-off the plane would be miles away before it could be turned for an emergeny landing. Hence the near vertical climb-out.

It's good to have a brother who is an engineer on the Typhoon project !
Old 06-05-2009, 18:24   #73
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

Here's some Awesome Air Photos in a PowerPoint show.
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 19:25   #74
Kymmy
Inactive

Nice little video in conjunction with 100years of naval aviation showing off the hawk trainer

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8034466.stm
Old 06-05-2009, 20:48   #75
barby81
Inactive

barby81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just reading "Angels and Demons" ...the follow up to the DaVanci Code.

At the beginning of the book Tom Hanks's character gets flown from USA to Switzerland in 1 hour in some SupaPlane --- can't wait to see what this looks like in the film.

Has anyone seen it?
barby81 is offline   Reply With Quote