Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What have you fixed lately?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

What have you fixed lately?

Old 28-05-2019, 18:54   #766
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: What have you fixed lately?

Short trips = flat car battery after a while. And disconnecting the battery to charge it caused the ECU to lose its memory.

So I have opted for a smart trickle charger inside the house, connected to the battery via a 2 core mains cable. It allows for the battery to stay connected whilst trickling.

Let's hope it solves things.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-07-2019, 11:02   #767
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Bedside radio, battery mains but the mains cable had become intermittant when moved. I made this up many years ago with a 3 pin Bulgin plug and socket on the side of the set instead of the orginal flying lead.

Bulgin-3pin.jpg

Turned out that over the years of moving it about one of the wires in the plug had separated. Re-made all the solder connections, cleaned the contacts and a spot of magic spray and no more intermittency.

BTW this style of connector predates the now popular IEC type.
Old 03-07-2019, 15:25   #768
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

Two new kitchen taps replaced,
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 10:08   #769
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
I last fixed one of my 8 track tapes (Led Zeppelin II)

The person I got this from on ebay had this written "RE-CONDITIONED AND PLAYS WELL"

Well obviosuly he didnt check it after his conditioning!!

The pad is good but the sensing foil he put on left a piece of the tape dangeling on the back side and it would not play well @ all.... It kept stopping,etc....

I just put a piece of tape over it to keep it tightly against the tape so it wouldnt interfere....

I dont get it..... People "re-condition" this stuff but they dont care enough to make sure it works right??

I dunno..........
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2019, 13:39   #770
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Last week i attempted to tighten the bathroom sink basin tap which somehow caused the flexi pipes to split and leak, the isolation valves also leaked.

So after giving up trying to find the exact Flexible MonoBloc Tap Connectors Tails with the exact same fittings and isolation valves i needed at screw fix or Homebase i managed to work out what i needed and the parts came today after ordering online.

Luckily everything went together reasonably well as i am not a plumber and didn't have the equipment to start cutting things off pipes so everything had to be exactly the same.
Old 19-10-2019, 22:10   #771
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

Well done SnoopZ... you will find the more you do things the easier it will become. You have just saved your self a few quid.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2019, 22:39   #772
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard s View Post
Well done SnoopZ... you will find the more you do things the easier it will become. You have just saved your self a few quid.
I'll attempt most DIY but only the most basic plumbing jobs. Scares the hell out of me. Water just doesn't play by the rules.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2019, 00:41   #773
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
I'll attempt most DIY but only the most basic plumbing jobs. Scares the hell out of me. Water just doesn't play by the rules.
It always causes problems!

I also need to replace a bath tap ceramic gland but I cant get the screw out the handle so looks like I will drill the screw out and not done that before, if I manage that I hope I can unscrew the gland as I wasnt able to budge the other one and a plumber did it when he replaced the radiator valve. Strangely I never had issues replacing on the sink tap.
Old 20-10-2019, 15:33   #774
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
It always causes problems!

I also need to replace a bath tap ceramic gland but I cant get the screw out the handle so looks like I will drill the screw out and not done that before, if I manage that I hope I can unscrew the gland as I wasnt able to budge the other one and a plumber did it when he replaced the radiator valve. Strangely I never had issues replacing on the sink tap.

You're a braver man than me, if it doesn't look like an 8 year old could do it then it's straight on the phone to the plumber.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2019, 17:14   #775
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Our lad put his whole weight on the shower riser rail and stripped the threads off the top end screw.

So I had to search high and low for a replacement screw and then refit the riser.

He also pulled all the adhesive clips that held the shower curtain tight to stop leaks. The glue is now stuffed, so I shall have to find another adhesive to do the job.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 15:39   #776
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Fan on our de-humidifier had started a low level irritating squeaking/rustling noise. It was also a bit slow to run up to speed when the unit had been off a while. Took off the covers and the motor was a bit stiff to rotate. It's one of those simple shaded pole types.

I took it out of its cradle and applied some oil to the sleeve bearings which are accessible without further dismantling.

Now runs super smooth and silent.
Old 14-12-2019, 18:19   #777
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Work top mini oven/grill unit. A Lower element had failed so a fix with a user bendable element as before with the top elements. (Post #558)

Hopefully these larger diameter elements (8mm vs 6mm) will be more durable than the rather thin originals that were fitted.
Old 16-12-2019, 12:54   #778
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Chain and sprockets needed replacing on one the bikes good time to do it as it's off the road for winter
Old 03-01-2020, 20:20   #779
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

My neighbors central heating three-way motorised valve.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2020, 06:18   #780
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
I last fixed one of my cassette tapes......

t fell on the floor and I think thats when the pad came loose..... Playback wasnt good so I opened the shell and fixed the pad..... (Put it back in place)
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote