Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 16:38   #8446
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelv View Post
A thought which might make politicians start to take notice: How about we start a new political party with the aim of having a candidate standing in every constituency at the next general election?
I think you only need 50 candidates to get a party political broadcast. Remember the bouncing yoga lot?

Unfortunately, this government is not going to go to the polls until the last minute, which I think is a couple of years off.
Advertisement
Old 09-06-2008, 16:39   #8447
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark777 View Post
"Watchdog rules out punishment over Phorm trials "

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1...9431420,00.htm

Well we go over the ICO's head and complain in detail to our MEP's and through them to the European Commission. We link our complaint to the discrepancies between what BT said in public and what was revealed in the leaked document. We clarify the issues revealed in the leaked document and ask the EC to have a chat with the ICO and lean on him heavily.We make it clear that we are unhappy at the ICO behaving like a little puppy and waving his legs in the air while wagging his tail, when he should be taking BT by the throat and squeezing hard.

And of course - every one who has had an individual complaint rejected by the ICO, take it through the official review procedure.

I've already been in touch with my MEP's, and Don Foster via my own LD MP. Unfortunately one of my MEP's is Giles Chichester MEP Conservative, so don't think I will get much out of him as he is too busy calculating his expenses. Another is Roger Knapman (UKIP) who would never want to use the EC to lean on a UK official, so that's him out the frame. I haven't found the MEP's very responsive to their constituents, compared to my own local Westminster MP.

Presumably we can encourage the press to approach the Metropolitan Police again on 17th July to see if they have had any complaints by that date. Incidentally - shouldn't that file be in more than one person's hands? Including a fairly anonymous member of the public who can stroll in quietly with a witness, to Charing Cross nick on Thursday morning 17th July, just in case the official file-carrier gets detained for 42 days on suspicion of whatever it is they may decide to suspect and the file got lost?
Old 09-06-2008, 16:40   #8448
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

https://nodpi.org/?p=19

Alexander Hanff
Old 09-06-2008, 16:47   #8449
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Speechless

ICO are not going to take action ...because?

I now firmly believe, Richard Thomas ought to be sacked.

Because if tens, even hundreds of thousands of people are not entitled to see their rights enforced by him, why is he being paid?

And the Police, not investigating any formal allegation in relation to Phorm ...because?

This absolutely reeks now.

What do I need to do, who do I write to, in the EU?

Because my government has completely failed (in the deepest sense of the word fail).
Old 09-06-2008, 16:52   #8450
Tharrick
Inactive

Services: Virgin 20mb cable
Tharrick will become famous soon enoughTharrick will become famous soon enoughTharrick will become famous soon enough

New letter to Tim Boswell:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Dear Tim Boswell,

I am writing again with regards to the BT/Webwise/Phorm privacy issue.
As you may be aware, a document has recently been leaked within BT detailing the events of the 2006 trials of the system. Analysis of this document by Alexander Hanff, one of the key leaders in the campaign against this sytem, has revealed a minimum of one hundred and thirteen MILLION breaches of various laws (information can be found at https://nodpi.org/?p=10)
However, the Information Commissioner's Office has recently stated that they have no intention to prosecute or even to investigate. The 2006 trials were considerably more sinister than the 2007 trials as they involved direct modification of the webpage requested between it being sent from the server and received by the user, as javascript tags were injected into the page. This could have been incredibly dangerous to end users.
The ICO has stated publically that they have been reassured by BT and Phorm that the system is legal, and therefore see no need to investigate, completely ignoring this document. Please forgive my cynicism, but I do not believe that the relationship between the ICO and this incident is in any way professional.

The police also refuse to investigate, claiming that there is not sufficient evidence to fight a case - apparantly, one of the higher managers of the company admitting to all of this on national television is insufficient.

It appears from this that we have two separate laws in this country - one governing the people, and one governing the corporations. If I were to set up a wiretapping system on even a hundredth of the scale that BT have used, I would be seeing the inside of a jail cell before dinner tomorrow.

Thank you for reading this. I will also be addressing this issue to Viviane Reding, as previous communications have suggested that the ICO MUST investigate this matter.

Yours sincerely,

XXXXXX XXXXXXXX
I'll write to Viviane Reding later.
Bah, and I'm supposed to be going to my graduation party tonight, this hasn't half soured the mood ¬_¬
Old 09-06-2008, 16:53   #8451
SelfProtection
Inactive

SelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarka View Post
How can the police say they have not received any complaints? As far as I know every attempt at reporting this has been met with a refusal to issue a crime reference number?
Some notes on the structure of the e-crime Unit which may become helpful.
IMHO. The Unit which seems to be doing a "Nelson" for Political Reasons!
http://www.heise-online.co.uk/securi...--/news/110783
Old 09-06-2008, 16:54   #8452
tarka
Inactive

tarka is on a distinguished roadtarka is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark777 View Post
EDIT : @tarka - RIPA complaint specific to the leaked document?
Not necessarily to do with the leaked document itself, although that complaint will be made after the protest at the AGM I assume? But I was sure that at least two people have tried to report a contravention of RIPA (I can't remember who though).
Old 09-06-2008, 16:57   #8453
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

Pete

You can find contact details for Viviane Reding at the following page

http://ec.europa.eu/commission_barro...t/index_en.htm

And you can find your MEP details (and contact them) through this site

http://www.writetothem.com/

Hope this helps
Old 09-06-2008, 16:58   #8454
romfordpele
Inactive

Services: TV XL Phone M Broadband L
romfordpele is on a distinguished roadromfordpele is on a distinguished road

another reason for saying no to Phorm

I do apologies if this has been mentioned on this thread or any other threads but phorm , in its previous incarnation as 121media was responsible for one of the of the nastiest pieces of spyware of 2005 - 2006 the apropos rootkit. even more reason not to trust a company with such a history in spyware to intercept their communications
Old 09-06-2008, 17:02   #8455
SelfProtection
Inactive

SelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
Speechless

ICO are not going to take action ...because?

I now firmly believe, Richard Thomas ought to be sacked.

Because if tens, even hundreds of thousands of people are not entitled to see their rights enforced by him, why is he being paid?

And the Police, not investigating any formal allegation in relation to Phorm ...because?

This absolutely reeks now.

What do I need to do, who do I write to, in the EU?

Because my government has completely failed (in the deepest sense of the word fail).
"It only takes One Bad Apple to..."
Old 09-06-2008, 17:03   #8456
icsys
Inactive

Services: Virgin - BB,TV,Phone Sky box - with no sub Freeview - idtv
icsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarka View Post
How can the police say they have not received any complaints? As far as I know every attempt at reporting this has been met with a refusal to issue a crime reference number?
Looks like a Freedom of Information request to the MET is in order.
Then again, if they refused to accept the complaint and no CRN was issued I suppose a request for 'how many complaints' will return zero!

'All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.'
...Edmund Burke
Old 09-06-2008, 17:13   #8457
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by icsys View Post
Then again, if they refused to accept the complaint and no CRN was issued I suppose a request for 'how many complaints' will return zero!

...Edmund Burke
Actually I have my call reference number

Alexander Hanff
Old 09-06-2008, 17:32   #8458
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

I've been sent a link about a project that Mozilla are working on called Site Security Policy

It's way over my head, but some of the more techie types might like to take a look

http://people.mozilla.com/~bsterne/s...curity-policy/
Old 09-06-2008, 17:52   #8459
Deko
Permanently Banned

Deko is an unknown quantity at this point

WTF!!!

The ICO are toothless wnakers, I was spied upon in the workplace a few years ago by the then called NHTCU. This I found out from a single fax cover left in my HR records when i did my subject access request.

The ICO wouldn't make a judgement on getting my then employer release the full info they had, Citing prevention of crime etc.

Wen't thru all the hoops and eventually lost momentum on following it up the twunts...grrr

ICO FAIL.
Old 09-06-2008, 18:00   #8460
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by icsys View Post

...Edmund Burke
I sent one to Richard Thomas at the ICO (a few days back) asking for stats such as number of complaints received, number of complaints investigated, number of complaints dismissed, number of complaints resulting in a prosection, and evidence provided to the ICO by Phorm.

Naturally, the ICO have ignored it so far. As they do every email/letter I write to them.

Something similar for the Met would be good.
Closed Thread