Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 18:27   #8371
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

I can see BT, TalkTalk and Virgin Media are struggling to understand the complex issue of copyright.

For their convenience I've created a simplified "ISPs Guide to Copyright", an instructional video if you will...

Enjoy (you will )

http://www.dephormation.org.uk/video/copyright.wmv

(with sincere apologies to anyone who can't handle wmv)

COPYRIGHT FREE - FEEL FREE TO REDISTRIBUTE WITH MY BLESSING

Advertisement
Old 07-06-2008, 18:49   #8372
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWH View Post
Wouldn't it be nice, if the groups in this Country took a leaf out of the USA regarding Phorm et al. (As reported by The Register)

Colin
That would be difficult when you have GB as the none voted in prime minister on a paraniod trip for security from terrorists. Now all are terrorists unless you can prove other wise so total survilence. more like total madness he must be in need of putting out to grass retirment early.

Look at what has been thought of by him supposedily for our security and how many of these things have lost personal details data that they most likely didn't need was lost in the public domain. They gather more than they need so then become the sercurity leak.

We need a new fresh start with public safety in the list and more for the public to defend themselves from intrusion into their privacy, more in protecting them from large corporate companies leeching from their privacy.

@ that had to watch it three times was listening out for any stutters or hesitation but there was none but a infectious laugh at the end.
Old 07-06-2008, 18:51   #8373
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

While we're on creative writing, I'm planning a script for a Bremner Bird and Fortune interview with Georgina Parr, BT Director of Customer Stealth Trials and Profiling, starring John Bird in a skirt and wig. It will of course be entirely fictional and speculative.
Old 07-06-2008, 18:59   #8374
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark777 View Post
@Dephormation

Pete,

that train reminds me of a graph of their share price.
ROFL
Old 07-06-2008, 19:24   #8375
lardycake
Inactive

lardycake is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
... For their convenience I've created a simplified "ISPs Guide to Copyright", an instructional video if you will...
I like it. Just one small quibble, perhaps you should rename the "police" character as "Mr Bailiff" as surely copyright is a civil matter?
Old 07-06-2008, 19:28   #8376
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by lardycake View Post
I like it. Just one small quibble, perhaps you should rename the "police" character as "Mr Bailiff" as surely copyright is a civil matter?
No - it is criminal... if you're a business.

See section 107 (Criminal liability for making or dealing with infringing articles, &c).

Also section 110 (Offence by body corporate: liability of officers).

BT directors could go to prison for copyright alone (never mind fraud, DPA, RIPA etc).
Old 07-06-2008, 19:38   #8377
lardycake
Inactive

lardycake is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
No - it is criminal... if you're a business.
That's even better then. So the police/Crown Prosecution Service would, in theory, take up the case?
Old 07-06-2008, 20:02   #8378
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

What this now looks like is BT say it isnt legal the law as we see it and some legla advisers say it is. Using the information from the ICO the only way to prove it is legal or not is through court so now the secret trials should go to court to prove once and for all it was illegal (or legal)
Old 07-06-2008, 21:01   #8379
chris9991
Inactive

chris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant future

For those who haven't seen it yet - link to the story in the Economist's Technology Quarterly

http://www.economist.com/displaystor...ry_id=11482452

It would appear to be slightly biased towards being in favour of Phorm
Old 07-06-2008, 21:25   #8380
BadPhormula
cf.addict

BadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I can see BT, TalkTalk and Virgin Media are struggling to understand the complex issue of copyright.

For their convenience I've created a simplified "ISPs Guide to Copyright", an instructional video if you will...

Enjoy (you will )

http://www.dephormation.org.uk/video/copyright.wmv

(with sincere apologies to anyone who can't handle wmv)

COPYRIGHT FREE - FEEL FREE TO REDISTRIBUTE WITH MY BLESSING

ROFL

Infotainment
Old 07-06-2008, 22:18   #8381
tdadyslexia
Inactive

Services: Cable Modem 60MB 2 TiVo Box's one, 1TB the other 500GB Plus Phone from NTL
tdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
Labougie, you can continue to do that but apathy doesn't rule here and I won't be giving up. The only reason any of this crap has happened in the first place is because of the complete apathy of the general population, but I disagree with you completely in that I believe if that apathy can be dissolved then the people can definitely get those rights back.

When passion swells in the general populace because they have had enough and don't want to take this crap any more, then no government or corporation in the land will stop it.

You believe what you like, but frankly I find your comments an offence to people who do give a flying unmentionable and an illustration of part of the problem, not part of the solution. Attitudes like yours are exactly why we are in the situation we are in the first place in my opinion. Instead of being such a pessimist how about becoming pro-active and trying to do something and make a difference instead of just sitting there talking defeatist rubbish.

Seriously, why some people even bother to post if all they are intent on doing is trying to dampen morale, is beyond me.

Alexander Hanff
Here, Here, Alex I agree 100% with you on this!
Old 07-06-2008, 23:04   #8382
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

I wonder if any technically minded people here could summarise (in layman's language) the relevant bits of the leaked report, so I can add them to my summary of the non-techie bits, and put the whole thing together as a document anyone can use to send to their MP/MEP/ICO etc.

I'll leave it to the techies to decide what is significant - perhaps the IP address issues, the latency - and other stuff I don't understand. The main importance would be to pick up technical stuff that had a bearing on the illegality of the 2006 trials, or had a bearing on the alleged duplicity and deceit of any consequent statements by BT and Phorm.

The key thing would be to keep it in layman's language and make it easy to understand - don't want any MP's dozing off before they get to the end.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:12   #8383
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
Yeah I was experimenting trying a few things, it is back now.

http://cryptome.org <- I never knew that was there til just now.

Alexander Hanff
Cryptome has an interesting old PDF from charles clarke MP

clarke-rip-lie.htm + Charles Clarke MP Lied About RIP June 6, 2008

Charles Clarke MP Letter:
http://cryptome.org/clarke-rip-lie.pdf (4pp, 823KB)
Old 08-06-2008, 08:43   #8384
Dephormation
Inactive

13,974... 13,975... 13,976

Make sure your name is on the list of the smartest people on the planet. Only twenty four chances left to say "my name is in the first 14 thousand".

Old 08-06-2008, 09:45   #8385
icsys
Inactive

Services: Virgin - BB,TV,Phone Sky box - with no sub Freeview - idtv
icsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
Cryptome has an interesting old PDF from charles clarke MP

clarke-rip-lie.htm + Charles Clarke MP Lied About RIP June 6, 2008

Charles Clarke MP Letter:
http://cryptome.org/clarke-rip-lie.pdf (4pp, 823KB)
There is another online petition on the very subject of public bodies having access to our personal information. local councils are abusing the act to spy upon their own constituents over trivial matters.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/ripact/
Closed Thread