Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 10:02   #8386
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by icsys View Post
There is another online petition on the very subject of public bodies having access to our personal information. local councils are abusing the act to spy upon their own constituents over trivial matters.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/ripact/
Perfect example of mission creep. I recently met one of the Financial Times legal correspondence when I was in London and they were discussing this issue.

Anyone who isn't scared of Phorm mission creep with this RIPA issue making weekly headlines needs to wake up and smell the coffee.

Alexander Hanff
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2008, 11:24   #8387
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

At least the Home Affairs Select Committee seem to be aware of the concept of function creep:
Quote:
The government should limit the data it collects on citizens for its ID card scheme to avoid creating a surveillance society, a group of MPs has warned.
The home affairs select committee called for proper safeguards on the plans for compulsory ID cards to stop "function creep" threatening privacy.
Link
Old 08-06-2008, 12:05   #8388
SelfProtection
Inactive

SelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about them
Smile Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
13,974... 13,975... 13,976

Make sure your name is on the list of the smartest people on the planet. Only twenty four chances left to say "my name is in the first 14 thousand".

Already Done
Old 08-06-2008, 12:59   #8389
OldBear
Inactive

OldBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbydaler View Post
At least the Home Affairs Select Committee seem to be aware of the concept of function creep:
ID cards 'could threaten privacy'
From the same story:
Quote:
Information Commissioner Richard Thomas said he welcomed the report.

"It is essential that positive action is taken to ensure the potential risks of a surveillance society never manifest themselves in this country," Mr Thomas said.

"Every possible step must be taken to ensure public trust in the way that personal information is collected and stored."
Really, Richard? Then why won't you take what we are saying about BT/Phorm/Webwise seriously?

OB
Old 08-06-2008, 13:41   #8390
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

NoDPI is undergoing some maintenance at the moment whilst we switch the entire site to SSL, so it may be up and down a bit this afternoon whilst we test the certificate.

Alexander Hanff

---------- Post added at 13:41 ---------- Previous post was at 13:20 ----------

Maintenance is now complete and all access to the site should now default/redirect to https

If you experience any problems with the certificate please let me know.

Alexander Hanff
Old 08-06-2008, 13:59   #8391
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Alexander the first all HTTPS website nice shame though that BT has brought the internet into disrepute making this move needed.
Old 08-06-2008, 14:03   #8392
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

I doubt it is the first 100% https site hehehe but it is a good start. I think I feel a campaign to get the major browsers to add OpenCA as a valid certificate authority. It wouldn't help with hardware overheads but it would at least make the certificates free.

Alexander Hanff
Old 08-06-2008, 14:15   #8393
SelfProtection
Inactive

SelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
I doubt it is the first 100% https site hehehe but it is a good start. I think I feel a campaign to get the major browsers to add OpenCA as a valid certificate authority. It wouldn't help with hardware overheads but it would at least make the certificates free.

Alexander Hanff
True it doesn't help the Website hardware overheads, but if an ISP is misusing DPI, then it not only does it avoid unwanted data gathering, it also prevents the multiple redirects & time lags imposed on the users Browser.
Old 08-06-2008, 14:24   #8394
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

The AGM report has some interesting reading in it sadly the mention of phorm or webwise must show how thye feel it needs to be hidden from public/shareholders eyes is this due to many British people having Ethics etc.

Well sent off a few questions to Ian and Emma lets see if Ian passes the book to Emma to reply if he does she is the one set to fall if it goes pearshaped.
Old 08-06-2008, 14:59   #8395
serial
Inactive

serial is on a distinguished roadserial is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know exactly where in the Barbican the AGM is taking place?
Old 08-06-2008, 15:05   #8396
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by serial View Post
Does anyone know exactly where in the Barbican the AGM is taking place?
Main entrance, although I still need to try and scout the site, I never had a chance this week whilst I was in London. If anyone else in London can go take some photos of areas in the vicinity of the main entrance (which is where the BT AGM notification is telling shareholders to go) it would save me the time and expense of a trip to London.

I will be adding an event page to the site early next week (hopefully Monday) which will have more specific details for the Protest Rally including maps, directions, resources etc.

Alexander Hanff
Old 08-06-2008, 15:39   #8397
Angry@VMedia
Permanently Banned

Angry@VMedia can only hope to improve

OMG, this is STILL going on?
Why are people ignoring the facts that DPI is ILLEGAL, and so is SPYING on people????

Just shows what a truely corrupted govenment we have got and I am totally ashamed to call myself "British"

As soon as I can afford it, I'm out of this stupid, pathetic country for ever!
Old 08-06-2008, 16:04   #8398
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry@VMedia View Post
OMG, this is STILL going on?
Why are people ignoring the facts that DPI is ILLEGAL, and so is SPYING on people????

Just shows what a truely corrupted govenment we have got and I am totally ashamed to call myself "British"

As soon as I can afford it, I'm out of this stupid, pathetic country for ever!
I'm a bit lost in this thread, assuming that DPI means Deep Packet Inspection, is the use of such technology illegal in the UK?
Old 08-06-2008, 16:11   #8399
Florence
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto View Post
I'm a bit lost in this thread, assuming that DPI means Deep Packet Inspection, is the use of such technology illegal in the UK?
To use it to improve services like giving VOIP priority etc no as it is only sniffing then prioritiings so only checks headers and titles if I remember right but what BT plan is to use DPI to harvest keywords from websites you visit to target adverts to you using a partner in the name of Phorm >121media>peopleonpage rootkits.

This is more of a intrusion as it wil see everything you see on your screen not just identify what you are downloading. Also the adverts could be large in size and you are paying for a certain amount of bandwidth and if like me block all adverts to keep all the bandwidth for your surfing.
Old 08-06-2008, 16:26   #8400
Angry@VMedia
Permanently Banned

Angry@VMedia can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
To use it to improve services like giving VOIP priority etc no as it is only sniffing then prioritiings so only checks headers and titles if I remember right but what BT plan is to use DPI to harvest keywords from websites you visit to target adverts to you using a partner in the name of Phorm >121media>peopleonpage rootkits.

This is more of a intrusion as it wil see everything you see on your screen not just identify what you are downloading. Also the adverts could be large in size and you are paying for a certain amount of bandwidth and if like me block all adverts to keep all the bandwidth for your surfing.
This is another point...

If I was to go messing around with people's pcs with the EXPLICIT reason to gain information about them and where they visit, I'd have my equipment seized, be thrown into a cell and probably would get a hefty sentence in the process, if I CANNOT do this, and neither can any other individual, WHY oh WHY can COMPANIES get away with it???
Then again, 1 rule for US, another for THEM, see this country sucks more than a hungry prossie!!!
Closed Thread