Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TCP/IP - Intermittent Printer problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TCP/IP - Intermittent Printer problem

Old 01-07-2008, 14:24   #1
lightwind
Inactive

Services: 10Mb cable; XL TV.
lightwind is an unknown quantity at this point
TCP/IP - Intermittent Printer problem

I've got 2 PC's connected by cables to a router with a built in printer port, and one printer which I share between the 2 PC's.

Up until recently I've been able to print OK, but now I get an intermittent fault where sometimes documents will print and other times they won't. I've recently installed Win XP SP3 and then de-installed. Hardware details below:

VAIO laptop - most of the print problems
Evesham desktop PC - OK
Draytek Vigor 2900VG router
Canon Pixma ip4200 printer
Win XP Home SP2
Latest Canon printer drivers

I've de-installed and re-installed the printer and also the TCP/IP port - makes no difference, i.e works sometimes, doesn't on others

Any suggestions on what else I can try???
lightwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2008, 14:25   #2
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age
Re: TCP/IP - Intermittent Printer problem

Has the printer got a static IP address or a DHCP one (ie provided by the router automatically)?

If its DHCP try assigning it a static IP address as DHCP can cause IPs to change without the users knowledge.
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 14:33   #3
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

The printer is plugged into the router's Printer Port, in which case I assume the printer will share its IP with the router surely?
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 15:04   #4
lightwind
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnwalker View Post
Has the printer got a static IP address or a DHCP one (ie provided by the router automatically)?

If its DHCP try assigning it a static IP address as DHCP can cause IPs to change without the users knowledge.
Sorry, I don't know how to find this out or change this. How do I check?
Old 02-07-2008, 13:33   #5
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
The printer is plugged into the router's Printer Port, in which case I assume the printer will share its IP with the router surely?
Doubt it would share the routers IP (I've never come across that before though). If the printer has a LAN port on it and connected via ethernet cable then it would have its own IP.
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 13:41   #6
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnwalker View Post
Doubt it would share the routers IP (I've never come across that before though). If the printer has a LAN port on it and connected via ethernet cable then it would have its own IP.
This printer does not have an ethernet port on it we use one in the office but it is simply tethered to a pc and shared over the network.

The router the OP is using will have a usb port for the printer and will share it. There must be a way of looking at the settings for this port in the router config.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 13:42   #7
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman View Post
This printer does not have an ethernet port on it we use one in the office but it is simply tethered to a pc and shared over the network.

The router the OP is using will have a usb port for the printer and will share it. There must be a way of looking at the settings for this port in the router config.
Quote:
a router with a built in printer port
Exactly
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 21:34   #8
lightwind
Inactive

Sorry guys, I think I'm missing something here .

Have you any other suggestions for what else I can do to resolve this?

Is there anything I need to check in the registry or services, or anywhere else?
Old 03-07-2008, 21:52   #9
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightwind View Post
Sorry guys, I think I'm missing something here .

Have you any other suggestions for what else I can do to resolve this?

Is there anything I need to check in the registry or services, or anywhere else?
I was probably having a balding grey moment, but I never did manage to get a printer working via my router's usb printer port - eventually I did it as a network share, which just means the pc the printer is plugged into has to be online for the printer to be used by any other pc on the network.

It was made easier for me using a little prog called Network Magic, but no links, as it is not free & I'm making an observation, not recommending anything