Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | All F1 2004 Discussions

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

All F1 2004 Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 02:02   #31
Graham

Re: Formula One Motor Racing

IMO one area where they could make noticeable changes is with pit stops (and, no, *not* spinning the driver around three times!)

Firstly, because of the changes to refuelling, it's that which usually governs how long the pit stop is going to take, meaning that unless something goes wrong, the time taken to change the tyres is much less relevant.

Secondly stops can now have up to *eighteen* people working on or around the car which, I'm afraid to say, is an accident just waiting to happen. Some day someone is going to make a wrong move and there's going to be big trouble.

I think that F1 should look at the Indy Car stops where you can have a maximum of *five* people over the pit wall, this would not only make it safer, but would mean that tyre changes etc would become much more relevant again.

Advertisement
Old 04-03-2004, 08:01   #32
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham
IMO one area where they could make noticeable changes is with pit stops (and, no, *not* spinning the driver around three times!)

Firstly, because of the changes to refuelling, it's that which usually governs how long the pit stop is going to take, meaning that unless something goes wrong, the time taken to change the tyres is much less relevant.

Secondly stops can now have up to *eighteen* people working on or around the car which, I'm afraid to say, is an accident just waiting to happen. Some day someone is going to make a wrong move and there's going to be big trouble.

I think that F1 should look at the Indy Car stops where you can have a maximum of *five* people over the pit wall, this would not only make it safer, but would mean that tyre changes etc would become much more relevant again.

spot on imho
Old 04-03-2004, 08:14   #33
homealone

Quote:

I agree - 18 is too many, going down to 5 may be a bit too draconian, but I would support fewer than 18, e.g 2 per wheel, 2 refuelling, front, rear & 'lollipop' - 13.

Old 04-03-2004, 08:16   #34
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone
I agree - 18 is too many, going down to 5 may be a bit too draconian, but I would support fewer than 18, e.g 2 per wheel, 2 refuelling, front, rear & 'lollipop' - 13.

maybe , why not go to 5 nuts per wheel like nascar , that would spice it up
Old 04-03-2004, 09:14   #35
gary_580

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyoung666

And nascar limits the peopel that can go over the wall to service the car so that you can only change 2 tyres at a time

Old 04-03-2004, 09:18   #36
timewarrior2001

Services: Evilness

Since they started changing the rules F1 has become mundane and boring.
What happened to the heyday of F1 when Nigel Mansell won it then left to go win Indycar.

I dont know what to say is the reg the ruined it but the governing body has really screwed up.

As for the threats the FIA make to the UK, stuff em. If they threaten the future of British F1 then we should boot em out.

Old 04-03-2004, 09:28   #37
gary_580

Quote:
Originally Posted by timewarrior2001
Since they started changing the rules F1 has become mundane and boring.
What happened to the heyday of F1 when Nigel Mansell won it then left to go win Indycar.

I dont know what to say is the reg the ruined it but the governing body has really screwed up.

As for the threats the FIA make to the UK, stuff em. If they threaten the future of British F1 then we should boot em out.

IT was boring thne too, how many races did mansells team wi htat season. Just face it F1 is NOT a competative form of racing. Never will be untill the teams all use the same chasis or controlled engines. F1 is bascially a pay for a trophy championship

Old 04-03-2004, 09:33   #38
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 TV 360 boxes. 500mb BB, Phone line.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyoung666
Why not have one proper race from start to finish without stops, and one time trial between the pit crews to see who is the fastest.
Old 04-03-2004, 10:39   #39
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

One of the problems with F1 is that most tracks do not have many, if any, overtaking spots for todays cars. Maybe redesigning tracks and also making them wider would give more opportunity to overtake.

Another idea could be to have two shorter races at each venue. The first race having the grid decided as it is now and the second race having the grid in reverse order to the first.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:41   #40
Graham

Quote:
I think that's still too many. Ok I agree with two on the fuel rig, because they're damned heavy, the lollipop guy is needed because he's the one that controls the whole stop, but I think one jack man and max four wheel changers would be sufficient for a total of eight.

I also think that the crew should not be allowed outside the garage until the car actually stops in the pit, rather than having them all waiting in the pit lane for a pretty long time until the driver pulls in.

Old 04-03-2004, 12:44   #41
Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianathuth
One of the problems with F1 is that most tracks do not have many, if any, overtaking spots for todays cars. Maybe redesigning tracks and also making them wider would give more opportunity to overtake.
That's a good point, on some tracks there are only one or two places where a serious overtaking manoeuvre can be attempted and most of those involve trying to out-brake the other car.

Quote:
Another idea could be to have two shorter races at each venue. The first race having the grid decided as it is now and the second race having the grid in reverse order to the first.
Isn't this the sort of thing that's done in Rally Cross events?

Old 04-03-2004, 12:57   #42
homealone

Quote:
That's a good point, on some tracks there are only one or two places where a serious overtaking manoeuvre can be attempted and most of those involve trying to out-brake the other car.

Isn't this the sort of thing that's done in Rally Cross events?
The first point was why I suggested going back to steel brakes (as used in Indy cars), as the increased braking distance would give more opportunity for that kind of manoeuvre, the current brakes are so good that the cars are virtually at the corner before they need to apply them.

- and I really miss Rally Cross on the TV

Old 04-03-2004, 14:42   #43
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

Quote:
The first point was why I suggested going back to steel brakes (as used in Indy cars), as the increased braking distance would give more opportunity for that kind of manoeuvre, the current brakes are so good that the cars are virtually at the corner before they need to apply them.

- and I really miss Rally Cross on the TV

miss rally cross full stop , used to go to croft to watch it , wicked racing , good point about the steel brakes btw
Old 05-03-2004, 19:44   #44
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 TV 360 boxes. 500mb BB, Phone line.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

Here we go again, Schumacher. M has bettered the Albert Park lap times on four separate occasions over two free practise sessions.
He said that the 2004 Ferrari is the best car they have produced.
Old 05-03-2004, 19:52   #45
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadom
Here we go again, Schumacher. M has bettered the Albert Park lap times on four separate occasions over two free practise sessions.
He said that the 2004 Ferrari is the best car they have produced.
and as Barrichello was second, it looks like Ferrari do have the initial advantage

Closed Thread