Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Football Why do you support your team

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Football Why do you support your team
View Poll Results: Why do you support your team
Its my home town team 17 89.47%
They are the best team 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20-09-2005, 22:11   #16
timewarrior2001

Services: Evilness
Re: Football Why do you support your team

I was Born in Billingham, I lived in Billingham most of my life, I support Billingham Synthonia (Stockton North league).

If following a team makes any difference then you could say I follow Middlesbrough, not only because they are the "Big" local team, but because their reserves play at the Synthonia ground.
Advertisement
Old 20-09-2005, 22:11   #17
Marge
Inactive

Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars
Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky
Closest team is Spurs, so I support them. Althouh after tonight losing to flaming Grimsby, I wonder why I f*****g bother sometimes.
I have offered to introduce you to the delights of supporting a fantastic team but for some reason, you are resisting

Manchester born, support Man U
Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 22:12   #18
timewarrior2001

Services: Evilness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marge
I have offered to introduce you to the delights of supporting a fantastic team but for some reason, you are resisting

Well there had to be one Man U supporter from Manchester, I think we have found them lol
Old 20-09-2005, 22:13   #19
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Why team? Why stop at one...

nffc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 22:16   #20
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone
oops, yes - support your local team, i agree

Grimsby Town are good for a triv question, as they don't play in Grimsby - 'Blundell Park' is in Cleethorpes, er, where I live - sorry punky
My uncle used to live across the road from that ground. Another triv question involves Berwick Upon Tweed

Oh, team? Man U, 1976 cup final was the first game saw
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 22:18   #21
Mal
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Talking Re: Football Why do you support your team

Quote:
Originally Posted by timewarrior2001
Well there had to be one Man U supporter from Manchester, I think we have found them lol
Boom, boom...never heard that one before...

There is at least 2!
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 22:19   #22
BBKing
R.I.P.

Services: 20Mb VM CM, Virgin TV
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
Send a message via ICQ to BBKing

What about 'my dad does' as a choice?* Lots of people have a family club to follow. Mind you, my mum follows anyone she feels sorry for - I think it's Sunderland this season, but she's from Stockport.

*Mind you, his dad supported Preston North End, who were probably the equivalent of Man United for turn-of-the-last-century Irishmen.
BBKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 22:20   #23
marky
Inactive

Services: non wife took control
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by nffc
Why team? Why stop at one...
Allways one, roy quoted 3 teams so it doesnt matter, the vote is do you support your home town or another because you think they are the best
marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 22:20   #24
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marge

That's true. Living 200 miles away from Old Trafford is about the only criterion you need to be a Man U supporter
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 22:24   #25
Mal
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Wink Re: Football Why do you support your team

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky
That's true. Living 200 miles away from Old Trafford is about the only criterion you need to be a Man U supporter
Now, does that mean that their local teams are crap and have to look elsewhere for entertainment?
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 22:29   #26
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Support Man United as I lived there from age 4 to 9 ish, then moved back to south wales where I still follow Swansea City as well.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 23:58   #27
yesman

Man U & Cambridge United (Local Team), followed them both since 1963.

Most footie fans in Cambridge either go to Spurs, Arsenal, Norwich or Ipswich to see top flight football rather than support the local teams.
Old 21-09-2005, 00:06   #28
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

As a non "supporter" but perhaps someone who takes an occasional interest, I do wonder if the poll is a little bit narrow.

For me, it is nothing to do with the best, or local. It can simply be:
"it's the first team I actually went and saw the game at home"
"its the team I grew up with, but long since moved away from the area"
"its the team my parent / family supported"

In my case the local non league team I ended up controlling "crowds" at their games, over a couple of seasons that I developed a passing interest.

There seem to me to be so many variables.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2005, 00:14   #29
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob C
As a non "supporter" but perhaps someone who takes an occasional interest, I do wonder if the poll is a little bit narrow.
I think the poll's narrow and agree with the rest of your post but I have to take issue with that... I don't really think football is something you can "take an occasional interest in". When Forest play I HAVE to know how they're doing. Live at the ground, on Sky (although not much of that now), radio, text commentary, even score updates... it's "on edge" most of the time when they play. Likewise- get in, check if we've signed anyone. Check the latest news... Not saying football is my life because I have loads more interests though, just don't think it lends itself to "part time" kinda stuff...

Of course, I'd also like to hear other opinions...

As for the question: I'm from Nottm, I live in Nottm, really only one option.

nffc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2005, 00:19   #30
marky
Inactive

Services: non wife took control
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob C

For me, it is nothing to do with the best, or local. It can simply be:
"it's the first team I actually went and saw the game at home"
"its the team I grew up with, but long since moved away from the area"
"its the team my parent / family supported"

In my case the local non league team I ended up controlling "crowds" at their games, over a couple of seasons that I developed a passing interest.

There seem to me to be so many variables.
feel free to change the poll
marky is offline   Reply With Quote